21st Birthday Cake & Dinner Suggestions

Options

Replies

• 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    So, here's your "cake"

e0d0485329094743ed597925511150f6.jpg

(a friend of mine actually made this for another friend and it was pretty good, and kind of funny)
  • Jemellc
    Jemellc Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    21st birthday... and you are even considering beet cake and avocado frosting?? I know it's been awhile since my 21st birthday but I can definitely say none of that was involved.

If I remember there was tequila, beer, more tequila... chocolate cake... and more tequila...
    Have you tried chocolate beet cake? If you haven't, please do. It's a lot better than you think it is.
    Don't judge OP. It's a genuine request and it's not your birthday, it's his.

Totally agree. Lmao as if there isn't any other topics people can respond to...
  • Jemellc
    Options
    So, here's your "cake"

(a friend of mine actually made this for another friend and it was pretty good, and kind of funny)

That's such a good idea! Haha
    good little fun party idea.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Cake-for-veggie-lovers1.jpg

...and many more!
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I originally received it as this recipe, but have included my modifications below to make it with hot chocolate mix and bite sized awesome.

Chocolate Truffle Cake Supreme
    Servings: about 10
    Woman's Day Super Special December 1989

Prep Time: About 20 minutes
    Baking Time:about 16 18 minutes
    Cooling Time: about 1 hour
    Chilling Time: about 6 hours or overnight

1 1/2 cups (2/1/2 sticks) butter
    1 cup plus 1 T sugar, divided
    3/4 cups good quality unsweetened cocoa
    1 tablespoon all purpose flour
    2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    4 eggs, separated
    Topping (optional):
    1 cup chilled heavy cream
    chocolate curls

Preheat oven to 425.
    Grease bottom of 8 inch springform pan.
    In medium sized saucepan over low heat, melt butter.
    Add l cup sugar and cocoa, stirring until well blended.
    Stir in flour and vanilla.
    Transfer cooled mixture to mixing bowl of mixer.
    In small bowl with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites with remaining l T of sugar until soft
    peaks form. Set aside.
    With electric mixer at medium speed, add yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
    Mixture will start to thicken after each addition of yolks.
    With rubber spatula, fold whites into chocolate mixture.
    Spoon batter into prepared pan.
    Bake 16 18 mintues or until edges are firm being careful not to overbake (center will be soft).
    Remove to wire rack to cool completely. (Cake will sink slightly in center as it cools). Remove
    sides of pan.
    Refrigerate at least 6 hours.

To serve:
    Let cake stand at room temperature 15 mins. before serving.
    Beat heavy cream with electric mixer until peaks form.
    Top each serving with cream and finish with chocolate curls.

Last note...this really does only take 20 minutes to make! Don't overbake this either! And, if I make this early in the day, it's great by after dinner. (7 ish) Lastly, freezes well too!

My slightly modified recipe.

1 1/2 cups (2/1/2 sticks) butter
    1/4 cup plus 1 T sugar, divided
    1 1/2 cups of cocoa powder (I've used 1 cup ghiradelli chocolate and 1/2 cup ghiradelli hazelnut in the past)
    1 tablespoon all purpose flour (haven't tried it yet - but I bet you can replace this with hazelnut flour)
    2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    4 eggs, separated

Preheat oven to 425.
    Spray or grease mini muffin pans or cute little petite four pan
    In medium sized saucepan over low heat, melt butter.
    Add l/4 cup sugar and cocoa, stirring until well blended.
    Stir in flour and vanilla.
    Transfer cooled mixture to mixing bowl of mixer.
    In small bowl with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites with remaining l T of sugar until soft
    peaks form. Set aside.
    With electric mixer at medium speed, add yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
    Mixture will start to thicken after each addition of yolks.
    With rubber spatula, fold whites into chocolate mixture.

Get it into your mini muffin/regular muffin pan. (Now I have a plastic ketchup dispenser that I cut off the tip and fill with my batter and then I can squeeze the perfect amount more easily. Some people put batter in pastry tubes or cut off the corners of ziploc bags. Or they just spoon it. Do whatever works for you).

Bake mini muffin sizes 4-5 minutes, and regular muffin sizes 5-6 minutes. The edges will be firm but the center kinda liquidy. It will make you nervous. Or it made me nervous. Once it cooled, the centers will all dip a little bit. Refrigerate in the pan... unless you have skills and can take them all out on your own. To me, it was easier to refrigerate in the pan. Then, after at least 4 hours... you can pop a cake out and test. It should taste like a cross between a flourless chocolate cake and a lava cake. Just one mini muffin-sized cake or maybe two should meet any chocolate cravings. Because it is RICH.
  • Jemellc
    Options
    Cake-for-veggie-lovers1.jpg

...and many more!

That's cool!
  • 1HappyTurtleRunner
    1HappyTurtleRunner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    So, here's your "cake"

Loving this idea!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    21st birthday... and you are even considering beet cake and avocado frosting?? I know it's been awhile since my 21st birthday but I can definitely say none of that was involved.

If I remember there was tequila, beer, more tequila... chocolate cake... and more tequila...
    Have you tried chocolate beet cake? If you haven't, please do. It's a lot better than you think it is.

Actually yes I'm sad to admit I have tried it and it's absolutely horrible.
    Were the beets fresh from a garden 24 hours or less? It makes a big difference.

I have no idea, my daughter made it (we are discussing disowning her after this) but never ever again
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    This is not a cake, but GF black bean brownies that are very cake like. They are easy to make and were quite delicious, even my DH and 4 children enjoyed them quite a bit and had no idea the ingredients until I told them. They do have sugar and chocolate chips ( I suppose you could leave the chips out), but one brownie is only 150 calories.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/02/amazing-flour-less-brownies.html
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options

Actually yes I'm sad to admit I have tried it and it's absolutely horrible.
    Were the beets fresh from a garden 24 hours or less? It makes a big difference.

I have no idea, my daughter made it (we are discussing disowning her after this) but never ever again
    Poor kid lol :laugh:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    So, here's your "cake"

Loving this idea!

This is an abomination
  • biancamirella
    biancamirella Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I admire you wanting to keep your birthday healthy! I did the same for mine and am happy I did. Feels like more of an accomplishment because it's an easy day to make excuses to super splurge. In the end, this is about a lifestyle change and birthdays are a perfect test.

For my bday, I made a cake from a recipe I found on proteinpow.com. There are tons of different recipes and some are so decadent that they are almost like the real thing: http://proteinpow.com/category/food-category/protein-cakes.

I did the (healthy and gluten-free) "3 Ingredient Low-Carb Vanilla Protein Cake with a 4 Ingredient Filling" and made some "ice cream" to have on the side: greek yogurt, shredded coconut, toffee stevia, cinnamon and some cocoa powder placed in the freezer for an hour.
  • Jemellc
    Options
    ^^ loving that.
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options

qft
  • prettychelly
    prettychelly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If there were ever a day to "splurge"... a 21st birthday might be that day! Good Luck!
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    beer_628x436.jpg
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    :( I'm just sad but if that's what you want to do.......
    My daughter (who is also on MFP) will be 21 tomorrow. We are definitely splurging on whatever looks good! We will be at Disneyland for 3 days. Yeah, probably strange for most people BUT there will be lots of alcohol. lol....
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    These are actually really good! (I use rice flour instead of teff) and you can top them with traditional frosting or make a coconut-oil and vegan chocolate chip ganache instead. I don't know if they're super healthy, but at least you're limiting your portions. HBD!

Single Serving gluten free vegan cupcakes

http://www.sheletthemeatcake.com/2013/07/single-serving-chocolate-cupcake-recipe/

Also, running frozen fruit through a blender or juicer makes fantastic 'sorbet' to have on the side :)
  • zaina510
    zaina510 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i am sad too after seeing this.

just eat some cake!!

a delicious cake that you love!