Did he think I was hitting on him??

Options
13»

Replies

• cakebatter07
    cakebatter07 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. You were just being friendly. But who knows...
  • rback1977
    rback1977 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would think you're "hitting" on me if you come over and introduce yourself at the gym. It would be a different senerio if it was in the workforce or a neighbor.
  • 2_FitNFab
    2_FitNFab Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    depends...how did you 'catch his eye'
    Winking while using the adductor machine was a step too far.....

^^^Really??....Now you tell me! I thought it was because I licked my lips :P

Yeah, that would be one of those Hollywood slow-motion shots where guys are staring and dropping the weights on themselves. I know if you were at my gym and did that there would be casualties and I would be one of them :)

^^
    Haha... a little exaggerated I'm sure! But you are certainly welcomed to my gym and we could test that theory! :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter, though? Sometimes guys think I am flirting (maybe I am). The worst that happens is they ask me out. I just tell them I'm married. It's a little awkward. But, no big deal. I tell them I am flattered. Silences like that are normal and could mean anything.
  • cstroh13
    cstroh13 Posts: 24
    Options
    It's fine. Just say hi next time and move on.

It's early- there is always the "well lots to lift and then gotta jet for work- so lets' get to it"

Almost anyone there before 7 AM is invariably trying to get a workout in pre- day job. That's the easiest way to dodge the bullet.
    Continue to be friendly- but move it along.
    You're fine.

This^^
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    He probably did. Just wear your wedding ring the next few days he'll get the hint.
  • AdiabaticPerformance
    AdiabaticPerformance Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Sadly I agree, If a woman takes the time to introduce herself I feel she has some interest in developing a relationship with me. Now if it's a friendship or a romantic relationship, who knows
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter, though? Sometimes guys think I am flirting (maybe I am). The worst that happens is they ask me out. I just tell them I'm married. It's a little awkward. But, no big deal. I tell them I am flattered. Silences like that are normal and could mean anything.

*flirting with you*
    giphy.gif
  • lizzybathory
    Options

This. If you are respectful and don't cross any lines in your words or actions, it's not your fault if they misinterpret it.

You don't *have* to wear your wedding ring to work out if it's uncomfortable or dangerous. Just be straightforward about your status and disinterest if he asks you out or behaves inappropriately. Until that happens, I'd just leave it alone.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Maybe he's just always socially awkward.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Yep, he totally did. What other conclusion could there be?
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Well.. that's a little different than my technique of flirting.

I usually kinda stare at a guy awkwardly. Then he catches me, I look away quickly. This usually goes on until we go our separate ways. I'm sure you have much more success than I do.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    He probably thought that certain way you crook your lips meant you wanted to taste the serpent
  • imaginaryplant
    imaginaryplant Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's truly annoying when being polite is mistaken for flirting/hitting on.
  • JT_Taylor99
    Options
    Maybe since you introduced yourself to him, he thought you were going to carry the conversation and when you stopped talking, he became umcomfortable.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

It doesn't bother me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

It doesn't bother me.

me neither- only bothers me when the entire conversation and every conversation from that point forward is about flirting and it's REAL.

like fun flirting is one thing- but when the intention of EVERY conversation an angle? get to stepping. that's so annoying. take a f**king hint dude.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    When I was at the gym this morning, I saw the same guy I see every M-W-F. He is one of the very few people in the gym at 5:30-6:00am. Between sets of leg extensions, I caught his eye and he came over. I stuck my hand out and said “Hi, I see you every morning and just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Callie.” He introduced himself and we had about a 45 second conversation about our workout schedules.

Then came that awkward moment when he just stood there. Was he waiting for me to say “you wanna grab a beer sometime?”

I’m married, but I don’t wear any jewelry when I go to the gym, including my wedding band. Did he think I was hitting on him?

Of course he did. You caught his eye and introduced yourself...Or at least he was expecting you to say something more substantial than a few seconds concerning workout schedules.