Realized I'll never be a runner

Options
I was a pure elliptical girl until two weeks ago when I got tired of staring at the wall and decided to try and jog/run. I decided to try HIIT running. I was doing 30 seconds then walking for 2 to 3 minutes. This week I'm up to 40 seconds and a 2 minute cool down.

As I was running I look over at the track in front of me and see the high school kids practicing. I could tell which ones were on the track team because they had legs up to their neck and were taking long graceful strides and making it look effortless. I looked down at my feet and realized I was taking short quick steps more of a steady jog and not a run. :cry:

I feel like at 5' 1" I'll never be able to run just be a steady jogger! I guess for me it works because it takes quiet a bit of effort for me to jog because I have to take short quick steps. Maybe after I loose some more weight it will get easier and be less wear and tear on my already bad knees. I guess any kind of exercise is better than none at all. :grumble:

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    If you're going faster than a walk you're a runner. If you love the feeling of running, keep doing it and who cares how fast or long you go?

Comparison is the thief of joy.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    If you're going faster than a walk you're a runner. If you love the feeling of running, keep doing it and who cares how fast or long you go?

Comparison is the thief of joy.

^This.

Can I run as fast as some of my friends? No. Can I run as far as some of them? Nope.

Can I do more than I could last year? Yes. Do I enjoy it? Absolutely.

Run for yourself, not for some lofty definition of what a "real runner" should be.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Barring an underlying medical condition anyone can become a runner, it's just more work for some of than others (and some of us will never set any world records). I'm built low to the ground and will never resemble a Kenyan runner even if I got down to my ideal weight but through sheer stubbornness on my part I've run numerous 5Ks, a handful of 10ks and 7 half-marathons along with a few sprint distance duathlons.

Don't rush the training, if you're looking to become a distance runner I'd suggest forgetting the HIIT for now and focus on building your aerobic base. If you can only run slowly one minute so be it. I started off running (well, more like a slow shuffle) 1 minute and walking 9, then 2 minutes running with 8 minutes walking etc etc until I could run 10 minutes continuously and the gradually built it from there. Believe it or not short strides with a fast foot turnover is a good thing!

Be patient and be consistent. You'll amaze yourself with what you can do with the right training and attitude.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Anyone can be a runner. It takes time to get there. Never compare yourself because you aren't them. You are you and if you want to run, then you will run. it takes persistence and time to build up endurance. You aren't going to run a 5k overnight. You may not be fast. Not everyone is fast or can or wants to run long distance. Focus on you and building your endurance over time. There is no reason to rush anything because rushing it can lead to injuries. Be patient and you will get there.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Short quick steps are ideal. The kids on the track will do most of their running using high-cadence, shorter strides. They take the long graceful strides (still quickly) when they are on the track doing speedwork. Also, many elite runners are quite short.
  • Veronnie87
    Veronnie87 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    LOL! Some of us are born dancers, some of us are born runners and some of us look like crazy people when we attempt to do either of those things but who the hell cares, at least we're trying!

I have seen video of myself running...it is NOT pretty...I always wished I could be one of those gazelle-like long-legged runners but I'm 5'3" and built more like a basset hound with my short little legs. When I run I have my arms up in this T-Rex position and my shoulders do weird things and every single piece of wiggle on me jiggles when my foot makes contact with the ground. But I can run a mile, do a cartwheel at the end AND be able to talk the whole way, and my workout buddy and I are working up to a 3-mile run that we're going on Halloween night instead of eating candy (Halloween candy being one my mega trigger foods). You are in the gym, you are working hard and you are making progress and that takes a level of focus and dedication that some of those high school kids would be lucky to have!

And as for thinking you'll never be a runner, think of it this way: If you have a body, you have a bikini body. If you run, YOU ARE A RUNNER. Now go run! :drinker:
  • mirki002
    mirki002 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You're only 2 weeks in! It took me a full year to get to the point where I felt like I could run any significant distance (and I mean like 1 mile). I also thought that I was "not naturally a runner" or "wasn't built for it", but now I run 5k 3 times a week at least, and it's one of my favorite things to do! Stick with it. There's no way you can feel totally competent in running after just 2 weeks of training. You can definitely be a runner.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I was a pure elliptical girl until two weeks ago when I got tired of staring at the wall and decided to try and jog/run. I decided to try HIIT running. I was doing 30 seconds then walking for 2 to 3 minutes. This week I'm up to 40 seconds and a 2 minute cool down.

As I was running I look over at the track in front of me and see the high school kids practicing. I could tell which ones were on the track team because they had legs up to their neck and were taking long graceful strides and making it look effortless. I looked down at my feet and realized I was taking short quick steps more of a steady jog and not a run. :cry:

I feel like at 5' 1" I'll never be able to run just be a steady jogger! I guess for me it works because it takes quiet a bit of effort for me to jog because I have to take short quick steps. Maybe after I loose some more weight it will get easier and be less wear and tear on my already bad knees. I guess any kind of exercise is better than none at all. :grumble:

Your first foray into running should not consist of "HIIT" running. You're just asking for it.

There will always be faster people, always. They make it look effortless because they train properly and are dedicated. You can be there someday too with some consistency.

And I know some short chicks that whoop me on a regular basis. It happens.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options

And I know some short chicks that whoop me on a regular basis. It happens.

Yeah, I'm short and I'm faster than him. :P
  • RebeccaMae1983
    RebeccaMae1983 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This made me laugh!

My 7 year old was running with me and he said, "mom, you look like you are running to get ice cream."
    I was laughing too hard at him to be mad.
  • salvaje913
    salvaje913 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I felt my entire life that I would never be a runner. My latest kick to become for fit and lose weight I started to run. I just did it. I definitely do not have any natural ability to run. Like you I envied the people I saw effortlessly running along while not looking like they are dying.

However over time I went from walking to walking with a dash of jogging to jogging the entire time. It has taken me just doing it to get to this point. I love that now I have moments of feeling that I am starting to have the feeling that I am getting to what I envied before with the effortless running. It is not effortless though at times I feel great and not tortured as I do my runs.

Stick with it and don't worry about no being a runner like you see in others. Just do it and one day you may surprise yourself.

Good luck!
  • carblover79
    Options
    I have known a couple of marathoners and one was 60+ years old. He told me "If you want to do it, you can". At the time, I laughed at him and said, I can't run. The next summer I was roped into co-leading a C25K group at work and was slower than all of the participants. I endured and after the program, ran my first 5k. 5 years later with exercise induced asthma and a frayed meniscus, I am walk/running my first 10k. Once running is in your blood, it cannot be removed. Patience and persistence are your friend. Don't give up!

BTW, I am 34, 5'4.5", 163ish and running for me is not much faster than walking.

Good Luck!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Walk, Jog, or Run doesn't matter just get out and do something. Two years ago I had trouble walking 2 miles now I have a 15k on 9-14.

29509743.png
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I run and walk in intervals and I still consider myself a runner. I'm 5'3", 48 years old, I run at about 5 MPH and I'm still a runner. It takes me 2 1/2 hours or so to complete a half marathon but I can complete a half marathon. Don't let yourself get bogged down in what you AREN'T and focus on what you are doing.

I run with a short stride on purpose. Everything I've ever read on running says it's actually BETTER to take short, quick steps. It's more efficient energywise, better on your knees and hips, and can actually help prevent injury. It helps you land on your midfoot rather than putting a lot of stress on your heels. Here's a great article: http://www.runningspot.com/sl_07_.php

You should really ditch the HIIT running unless you mean running and *walking*. When you're starting out, you should be jogging slowly, not running. Most people who are new think that running means going as fast as you can, but it shouldn't be. You're liable to injure yourself and you should be focusing on building your running endurance at this point. Speed (such as it is) will come later. Most beginning runner programs (such as Couch to 5K) have you start out running at a pace at which you can still carry on a limited conversation. If you can't talk in short sentences and run at the same time, you're going too fast.
  • RebeccaMae1983
    Options
    Short quick steps are ideal. The kids on the track will do most of their running using high-cadence, shorter strides. They take the long graceful strides (still quickly) when they are on the track doing speedwork. Also, many elite runners are quite short.

I'm glad to hear short steps are ideal because they are the only ones I have.
    I guess I just feel like I'm pushing my short legs as fast as they will go while other people look like gazelles. I won't let it deter me from running because I actually prefer being outside running than on the elliptical.
  • RebeccaMae1983
    Options
    Barring an underlying medical condition anyone can become a runner, it's just more work for some of than others (and some of us will never set any world records). I'm built low to the ground and will never resemble a Kenyan runner even if I got down to my ideal weight but through sheer stubbornness on my part I've run numerous 5Ks, a handful of 10ks and 7 half-marathons along with a few sprint distance duathlons.

Don't rush the training, if you're looking to become a distance runner I'd suggest forgetting the HIIT for now and focus on building your aerobic base. If you can only run slowly one minute so be it. I started off running (well, more like a slow shuffle) 1 minute and walking 9, then 2 minutes running with 8 minutes walking etc etc until I could run 10 minutes continuously and the gradually built it from there. Believe it or not short strides with a fast foot turnover is a good thing!

Be patient and be consistent. You'll amaze yourself with what you can do with the right training and attitude.

I have "weak" knees something that runs in my family. I have been using the elliptical for 39 days so I built up my endurance and definitely my lungs! I decided HIIT running because 40 seconds is about all I can do before I need a breather and it gives my knees a rest. Right now I'm looking for pure weight loss and I'm down 15 pounds in 39 days. I don't know that I'll ever be a long distance runner based purely on my time restrictions. I just read that HIIT running was good for metabolism boosts.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the opposite problem. I think I look a-m-a-z-i-n-g when I run when in fact....

TRoRpm8.jpg?1

I agree with what others have said re: HIIT. It's pointless at your level of conditioning.

That said a standard walk / run interval sessions may work well. So, instead of trying to go all out in the running part try to maintain a reasonable pace where you can hold a conversation and work on improving the amount of time you can run without needing a break etc.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ... I decided HIIT running because 40 seconds is about all I can do before I need a breather and it gives my knees a rest. Right now I'm looking for pure weight loss and I'm down 15 pounds in 39 days. I don't know that I'll ever be a long distance runner based purely on my time restrictions. I just read that HIIT running was good for metabolism boosts.

There are plenty of Couch to 5k programs that start off with 1 min runs repeated maybe 5-10 times over the course of 30 minutes. You can choose one that suit you or modify to start at 40 sec runs and work up using a C25k progression. These typically last 9 weeks but I'm stuck on week 7 and started about 9 weeks ago.

Do whatever suits you and progress. The benefit of following a programme (or nearly following it) is that you have something to aim for each week.
  • RebeccaMae1983
    Options
    I have exactly the opposite problem. I think I look a-m-a-z-i-n-g when I run when in fact....

TRoRpm8.jpg?1

I agree with what others have said re: HIIT. It's pointless at your level of conditioning.

That said a standard walk / run interval sessions may work well. So, instead of trying to go all out in the running part try to maintain a reasonable pace where you can hold a conversation and work on improving the amount of time you can run without needing a break etc.

I definitely look like the dog!
    I could walk all day and I mean all day if i had the time. I only have an hour to an hour and a half in the mornings to walk/run before I have to be back home. I may just try to improve my distance as long as my knees will allow and work on HIIT running later on.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options

TRoRpm8.jpg?1

Oh my, that must be exactly how I look while running. I can't go to fast but I enjoy the hell out of it. Pop on a good audio book or podcast and I'm set for a little while. Slow and steady keeps me at a good pace where I don't feel like doubling over. First I had to learn how to breath and endurance came along with that. I hate that Winter is coming because it's going to drive me inside. Time to join that gym.