Realized I'll never be a runner

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    I'm 5'2", and training for a half marathon. Are you telling me that because I don't move like a graceful gazelle that I can never be a real runner?

Jog vs run is just semantics. If you're enjoying it, who cares what you name it?
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    I USED to be a runner, did a half marathon. Took a break...way too long of a break, tried running again. Suck at it, I quit running
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member

Comparison is the thief of joy.

This ^^^^^ and it applies to every area of our lives over the entire duration of our life too!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    If you're going faster than a walk you're a runner. If you love the feeling of running, keep doing it and who cares how fast or long you go?

^This.

Can I run as fast as some of my friends? No. Can I run as far as some of them? Nope.

Can I do more than I could last year? Yes. Do I enjoy it? Absolutely.

Run for yourself, not for some lofty definition of what a "real runner" should be.

It took me a long time to embrace this philosophy and I still have my moments. But this is all true. If my knees hurt - I run on the treadmill (still a runner). If my knees cooperate, I run on the road - slowly (still a runner).

Will I ever do a marathon? Who knows. I just keep training like I will. One run at a time.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    I'm 5'1 and it's taken me 9 months to be able to run 30 minutes without stopping. Go at your own pace and push yourself further when you feel comfortable. Don't put up roadblocks for yourself before you've even gotten there, it's not good for the psyche, know what I mean?
  • RebeccaMae1983
    RebeccaMae1983 Posts: 35 Member
    I'm 5'2", and training for a half marathon. Are you telling me that because I don't move like a graceful gazelle that I can never be a real runner?

Jog vs run is just semantics. If you're enjoying it, who cares what you name it?

Nope I'm saying I'm jealous of those "gazelles" that make it look easy while I'm quick stepping and sweating like a hog!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    I'm 5'1" too. I'm not a spectacular runner, but I've completed a 5K race and 10K race with decent times. Long distance running has little to do with the length of your legs (sprinters with long legs have an advantage, but in long distances, it's not much of an issue). And even with short legs (or overall short stature), gate does matter. The short, shuffling steps vs long stride are a matter of training, not height. When you jog, try for a slightly longer gate. Think of reaching your legs out in front of you a bit more. It's an adjustment, but better to start now and develop the right habits (you may have to run for less time or recover for longer, as you adjust).

If you want to run, you can run. Being short is not an issue.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member

Nope I'm saying I'm jealous of those "gazelles" that make it look easy while I'm quick stepping and sweating like a hog!

The real difference between you and them is that the pain receptors in their quads and hamstrings are not linked to your brain.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I'd give it a little more than two weeks...running is definitely a skill where proper form, etc is involved. Even competitive runners have to learn this skill. Obviously some people are more athletically blessed than others, but everyone has to learn...nobody is born with perfect form.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member

I'm a little jealous of them too. Just don't let it stop you.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Every heard of Priscah Jeptoo?... check out her form "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHHsk3rZzk8"... watch the whole video as you see how she runs like a duck... her legs are like all over the place. But she isn't only an elite athlete she is repeat marathon winner, known for coming from behind. So, if she can do it, so can you!
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    I promise you'll get there!
    You just need to keep at it and build your confidence!

I'm using a couch to 5k app and love it.....just a thought.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    You are the only one that can limit your potential. If you want to be a runner then be the best damn runner you can be.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I was a pure elliptical girl until two weeks ago when I got tired of staring at the wall and decided to try and jog/run. I decided to try HIIT running. I was doing 30 seconds then walking for 2 to 3 minutes. This week I'm up to 40 seconds and a 2 minute cool down.

As I was running I look over at the track in front of me and see the high school kids practicing. I could tell which ones were on the track team because they had legs up to their neck and were taking long graceful strides and making it look effortless. I looked down at my feet and realized I was taking short quick steps more of a steady jog and not a run. :cry:

I feel like at 5' 1" I'll never be able to run just be a steady jogger! I guess for me it works because it takes quiet a bit of effort for me to jog because I have to take short quick steps. Maybe after I loose some more weight it will get easier and be less wear and tear on my already bad knees. I guess any kind of exercise is better than none at all. :grumble:

Your first foray into running should not consist of "HIIT" running. You're just asking for it.

There will always be faster people, always. They make it look effortless because they train properly and are dedicated. You can be there someday too with some consistency.

And I know some short chicks that whoop me on a regular basis. It happens.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

I'm truly curious, how is her HIIT program different than C25K recommended in the linked thread? Doesn't it start out basically the same? Or is it just semantics and maybe she shouldn't have called her program HIIT?

OP, the best book I ever read when I first started running was called "The Courage to Start: A guide to running for your life" by John "The Penguin" Bingham. He describes how tough it was for him in the beginning and how he's so not the typical runner but he keeps going and has done marathons and developed running programs, etc. It really helped me get over a lot of my insecurities and negative thoughts.

I get being jealous of speed and grace but you can't let it get you down. Just keep going and who knows, maybe you'll be faster than you ever imagined!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    If you're going faster than a walk you're a runner. If you love the feeling of running, keep doing it and who cares how fast or long you go?

QFT

Read the book Born to Run.
  • tyb03
    tyb03 Posts: 52 Member
    I am also 5'1" and have difficulty running, more so because of shortness of breath. I often see others outrun me at the gym but I feel proud when I've increased the amount of time I've ran before I've had to hit that slow down to a walk pace. Just keep progressing! I haven't ran in a while (have been doing other workouts instead), but reading your post has me motivated to give it another try :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I'm 5'1" too. I'm not a spectacular runner, but I've completed a 5K race and 10K race with decent times. Long distance running has little to do with the length of your legs (sprinters with long legs have an advantage, but in long distances, it's not much of an issue). And even with short legs (or overall short stature), gate does matter. The short, shuffling steps vs long stride are a matter of training, not height. When you jog, try for a slightly longer gate. Think of reaching your legs out in front of you a bit more. It's an adjustment, but better to start now and develop the right habits (you may have to run for less time or recover for longer, as you adjust).

If you want to run, you can run. Being short is not an issue.
    Actually, forceably lengthening your stride is not necessarily a good idea. Your feet should be landing under your body, not ahead of it. 180 strides per minute is ideal and that's going to mean a shorter, lighter stride. Avoid landing heavily on your heels with your foot out in front of your body. It takes more energy because of the motion so is much less efficient and much harder on the hips, knees and ankles.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    FWIW I am 5'9.5" with long legs, and I'm pretty much the furthest thing from graceful that you can get. I sometimes feel like Lurch from the Adams family when I run. I'm pretty slow as well.

I get passed by runners much shorter than me ALLLLLL the time.

Don't get discouraged because you aren't a track star immediately. You might never be a fast runner. But if you want to be a runner, you can be a runner. They come in all shapes, sizes, and speeds!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    This made me laugh!

My 7 year old was running with me and he said, "mom, you look like you are running to get ice cream."
    I was laughing too hard at him to be mad.

May we all run like we're running to get ice cream.