Moderation DOES NOT WORK for me

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Although eventually I am going to try vegan dark chocolate. For all I know, that will give me loads of energy. But I want someone to split the bar with. I know it will be more convenient for me if it's simply not in the house after I've had my portion for the day.

A place I sometimes buy lunch has a whole wall filled with tempting fancy chocolate from everywhere. I'm pretty sure that at this point I could buy a bar and just eat a little throughout the week, but happily I don't have to even if I want some chocolate, as they also have some single serving size (like 9 or 14 grams, 45 to 80 calories) options. If I work out before lunch I sometimes get one of these. All the ones I've tried so far are worth it. (I particularly like Vosges and Cafe Tasse for their cute and delicious options).

Not vegan, though. And no doubt "highly processed" so I will soon die. (Insert eye roll.)
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    What gets me is the constant assumption that if you don't cut out "processed" foods or "added sugar" or whatever you are eating all sorts of highly sweetened stuff from the middle of the supermarket (not that there's anything wrong if that if it's what you choose to do and you also eat sufficient other foods to get a balanced nutrient-sufficient diet) and can't taste regular foods since you are so warped by all this hidden sugar that you are eating and probably addicted to. Seems like bunk to me. I mean, sure that might be true for some, but it's hardly the experience of everyone, even everyone who gained a bunch of weight.

I'll take a comma for $200, Alex. :)

I think "processed foods" have gotten a bad rap. There is probably nothing inherently toxic about processed foods. The people selling them would like to continue to be in business, after all.

However, the lay person has made the correct connection between calorie density and processed foods. Processed foods are quite often an engineered product. They have been specifically designed to be low cost to manufacture, have long shelf lives, be inexpensive to transport and store, be convenient, and be very tasty and thus compelling to eat (and thus buy). These foods also tend to be calorie dense.

If you eat them without tracking calories, and rely on feelings of satiety to control consumption of them, you will probably eat a calorie surplus.

So people have correctly identified processed foods as being likely to contribute to weight gain, but misunderstand the reason why.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    If someone really needs to eliminate foods for whatever reason then okay, but I don't think a person should go from, "damn, I just ate a whole bag of chips" to "holy crap, I'm addicted to chips!" to "I'll never eat chips again!" in one sitting and frankly, that's the impression I got from the OP.

I doubt many people come to the conclusion that they have no willpower to control consumption of certain kinds of foods from the first time they eat a certain kind of food. I suspect most of us come to this realization after years or even decades of diet attempts.
    On the other hand, if someone has the willpower to actually cut out the foods they crave and be successful for a decade or more, that's dandy, but I'd argue that's rather unusual given the failure rates for diets and the yo-yoing I've witnessed.

In fact very few people have the willpower to maintain any kind of weight loss long term, regardless of approach. The failure rate for long-term weight loss is between like 80-97%.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Ah, food! Quite a diagnosis based on very little. I do think food addiction is a thing--I think it's at least a reasonable term or related psychological issue to binge eating disorders or the kinds of "food above all" compulsions that lead to people becoming morbidly obese in at least some cases. To toss that term around for people who just have trouble not overeating foods they really like, though, seems irresponsible.

The OP's topic is, "Moderation DOES NOT WORK for me."

Yes, that was the topic title. Doesn't say a thing about addiction. If you put a basket of naan in front of me, I'm not going to eat just one piece, probably, but that doesn't mean I'm addicted to naan. (Also, it would be hilarious to claim I was addicted to naan and not packaged bread in the grocery store, but I will never, never overeat on the packaged stuff, which I don't even like much. This is similar to all the weird claims that people are "addicted" to sugar but just fine having a bowl in the house, eating fruit, etc. Whatever they are talking about, it's not addiction.)

Anyway, if you read the post, she doesn't say that she has some kind of addictive reaction to any particular food. In fact, her main complaint is that she lives with her parents, they have "junk" (undefined) around and she eats it (note that choosing to eat it rather than not is a choice, whether one follows an elimination OR moderation plan). Moreover, she acknowledges that even if this weren't the case she'd order it. Doesn't really sound like elimination is working for her either. Also, she didn't even explain what she thought "moderation" was or why it didn't work. Like I said above, I think there are numerous different strategies that might work for people, depending on their particular issues, but this thread is just an exercise in people seeing themselves and their issues in the OP to an amusing degree.
    OP also says, "As you can tell from the title I don't think moderation works for me. I tried to keep moderation with unhealthy foods but I just dont like eating only 1."

Not sure when the definition of "addiction" became "don't like eating only one." One wants, at least, to ask her if she likes eating only one better than none, in that the rest of her post suggests the answer is no.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    Some of you don't know how lucky you are to just have a nibble of chocolate or whatever and go about your day with minimal mental nagging to have some more. Resisting the inner brat is possible, sure, but it's most unpleasant and I find it mentally draining, while simply not having any at all is much easier. And leaves me more calories for healthy foods that make me feel good and full of energy.

You. I like you.
  • andrewelee1983
    andrewelee1983 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I personally look for low cal snackies that make me FEEL like I'm getting quite a bit

3 oreos is like 160 calories, I tend to have 3 oreos after lunch and again after dinner. I dont feel like i'm not getting to snack and I have lost like 25 lbs eating a healthy diet and saving 300 calories or so a day for snacks. You've got to create a new lifestyle if you want to lose weight and you have to find something that you can maintain.

I measure everything I eat now and log all my food, I keep around or under my calorie goal for the day and I walk at 3.5 mph for an hour a day (exercise gets you more calories which allow more SNACKING!)

-Shoe

P.S.
    More Stuff i snack on:

Goldfish crackers - 55(!) crackers is 140 cal
    Chips Ahoy! - 3 cookies is 160 calories
    Lucerine Ice cream sandwitch - 150 cal
    Sensible Portions Veggie Straws - 150 cal for like 38 straws (Super salty good chips)

Something I've found - moist snacks is what kill you, they are usually moist because of OIL which has a ton of calories.

I've also had luck eating 10-15 Peanut M&M's, junior mints, mike& ikes (6 cal per candy instead of the 10 most are).
  • maillemaker
    Options
    Yes, that was the topic title. Doesn't say a thing about addiction.

No, it doesn't. Which is why I specifically said, "What I read from this, colored by my own experiences, is that the OP is unable to exercise self-control with regards to eating "unhealthy foods"."
    If you put a basket of naan in front of me, I'm not going to eat just one piece, probably, but that doesn't mean I'm addicted to naan.

That is true. However, if every time I put a basket of naan in front of you you cannot control how much naan you eat, then you might have a problem. I would call that an addiction. You might also call it a compulsion, or some other term.
    Anyway, if you read the post, she doesn't say that she has some kind of addictive reaction to any particular food.

This is true. In fact, OP's post is very light on details. Again, that is why I said, " "What I read from this, colored by my own experiences, is that the OP is unable to exercise self-control with regards to eating "unhealthy foods"."

For me, saying "moderation does not work for me at all" resonates directly with my own issues with food, which I would absolutely characterize as an addiction.
    Moreover, she acknowledges that even if this weren't the case she'd order it.

Which re-affirms my opinion. When your lack of self-control is so bad that when you don't have it you will actually get in the car and go get it (or have someone else get in their car and bring it to you), that's a big red flag.
    but this thread is just an exercise in people seeing themselves and their issues in the OP to an amusing degree.

Which I took care to explicitly state on purpose in my reply. All anyone can do is relate to the OP based on the limited information provided and our own personal experiences. We aren't mind readers.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    I've also had luck eating 10-15 Peanut M&M's, junior mints, mike& ikes (6 cal per candy instead of the 10 most are).

This is the kind of "moderation" that I cannot fathom.

To me, the willpower required to open a bag of M&Ms, pluck out only 10-15 of them, and then not eat the rest is far, far greater than the willpower required to not eat any.
  • andrewelee1983
    Options
    I get a jumbo bag and a kabillion ziplocks and pre-potion the whole thing out.

I admit, the candy thing is harder than the 3 oreos, but when it's really easy to just grab a zip loc and then go sit down somewhere and eat them, my laziness takes over and I dont want to go get another bag
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I think "processed foods" have gotten a bad rap. There is probably nothing inherently toxic about processed foods. The people selling them would like to continue to be in business, after all.

I'm sure the Vosges eaters of the world will be thrilled to hear this. And I know I feel better about that cottage cheese I had with breakfast!
    However, the lay person has made the correct connection between calorie density and processed foods.

Who is "the lay person"? Lindsay?

Why are frozen vegetables more "calorie dense" than fresh ones? I mean, I can get pretty great fresh ones at the moment (my garden, my CSA. local farmers markets), but around Christmas I'd bet the frozen ones have a better profile than the ones in the grocery store (any grocery store) carted in from who knows where.

And my morning cottage cheese (sorry, Sabine), precisely what is wrong with the calorie density of that? It fit into the calories and macro profile I wanted for my breakfast, after all. (I add dairy to breakfast for the protein, as well as the delicious taste.)

Also, I'm not quite sure why a discussion of the alleged evils of processed foods is related to my post, which was instead an objection to the assumption that someone who does not eliminate "added sugar" is getting huge amounts ("lots" was the claim, if memory serves) from packaged whatever. You can eat sugar without thinking that the highest and best source is a twinkie or pop tart, after all, let alone whatever odd thing (jarred pasta sauce? ugh) you think everyone is chowing down on.

Now, obviously, if one makes a pie one should be aware that there are lots of calories in it. Is anyone is real life confused on this point? I can't imagine.

Similarly, one can eat processed foods and not be ignorant about what is in the particular processed foods that one chooses to eat and have thought through why one thinks they are good additions to one's diet, which is why I don't make generalizations about those who eat packaged meals or even jarred pasta sauces (forgive my snotty comment above), even though they aren't to my particular taste.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

To me, the willpower required to open a bag of M&Ms, pluck out only 10-15 of them, and then not eat the rest is far, far greater than the willpower required to not eat any.
    This is my experience as well.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day you control what goes in your mouth and any additional output (exercising or movement in general) to burn more calories.

Sorry, I have to eat what mom and dad buy isn't good enough. You do have a say in what groceries your family buys, I bet mom will be more than happy to help stock the house with foods that will enjoy and maybe even make healthier meals. Even if you don't, just because mom buys a tub of ice cream or fries up some chicken doesn't mean you have to eat it or that you can't practice moderation.

I grew up with a family of obese people and now that I'm calorie counting I'm starting to realize that meals they were preparing werne't necessarily the problem. Consumption of sugared sodas contributed to my family's obesity, excess consumption of deserts and fried foods, not measuring snacks like potatoe chips and ultimately lack of exercise from watching TV or playing video games all day.

THere are so many things you have control over, stop making excuses.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Ditto.

That sounds like absolute torture.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you put a basket of naan in front of me, I'm not going to eat just one piece, probably, but that doesn't mean I'm addicted to naan.

That is true. However, if every time I put a basket of naan in front of you you cannot control how much naan you eat, then you might have a problem. I would call that an addiction.

That's not an addiction.

An addiction is when you pull out a Glock and rob the 7-11 on your way into the restaurant so you can order the Naan you wouldn't otherwise be able to eat.

What you're describing is just a lack of discipline.
  • andrewelee1983
    Options
    At the end of the day you control what goes in your mouth and any additional output (exercising or movement in general) to burn more calories.

Sorry, I have to eat what mom and dad buy isn't good enough. You do have a say in what groceries your family buys, I bet mom will be more than happy to help stock the house with foods that will enjoy and maybe even make healthier meals. Even if you don't, just because mom buys a tub of ice cream or fries up some chicken doesn't mean you have to eat it or that you can't practice moderation.

I grew up with a family of obese people and now that I'm calorie counting I'm starting to realize that meals they were preparing werne't necessarily the problem. Consumption of sugared sodas contributed to my family's obesity, excess consumption of deserts and fried foods, not measuring snacks like potatoe chips and ultimately lack of exercise from watching TV or playing video games all day.

I'm both the obcessed with sweets type and finally worrying about my health and this kind of comment doesn't help. The only way to really understand how bad or not bad stuff is for you is to start calorie counting, it really opened my eyes to stuff that I thought wasnt so bad that is terrribly calorie dense and on the flip side- stuff I can eat WAY more than I even want and not overeat.

Egg - 70 calories (fry in pam)
    2 strips of bacon (i cut mine in half before frying so I get 4 strips...it's a mental trick that works on me) - 90 calories - I get Hempler's which is local, but local bacon will often be less fatty so you can have more

Mustard - 0 calories (I love mustard)

Make a list of foods you like and find out which ones are surprisingly calorie light and focus on them, I also don't eat out much due to financial issues, food you don't prep yourself and/or that has no nutrition facts on it is KILLER.

At the begining you just have to be super vigilant, it's almost like a part time job, but after a couple months you get used to calorie counting.
  • andrewelee1983
    Options
    What you're describing is just a lack of discipline.

not true, the term you are looking for is Compulsion versus Addiction

http://addictions.about.com/od/howaddictionhappens/a/addcompulsion.htm
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Well there is the option to go for salads and raw veggies those would take a day of grazing on them to overeat. Even then if calories went high its high nutrient.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Ditto.

That sounds like absolute torture.
    And not worth it. Again, for ME pizza and tortilla chips are tough to resist, and I'll make or order healthier options and then factor them in. For candy and sweets, I'd rather skip it than eat 10-15 M&Ms.

And if I'm going to have pizza, as a foodie it's going to be a damned good probably artisan pizza. No Pizza Hut for me. But it's going to be on a whole wheat crust (or cauliflower if I get the hankering, which happens), and have lots of veggies.
  • andrewelee1983
    Options
    Well there is the option to go for salads and raw veggies those would take a day of grazing on them to overeat. Even then if calories went high its high nutrient.

This is true, Although I don't love veggies, in fact i prefer not to eat too many, I regularly cram a couple cups of spinach into my head with a couple tablespoons of low cal dressing to make myself feel too full to put more food into me. A lot of it is just knowing WHY you compulsively eat and patching that hole other ways.

I've started doubling the amount of time I play board games with my kids so I have less free time to gorge on snacks. At this point im just too damn self-imposed-busy to even over eat...AND I find that I get a lot more stuff I enjoy into my already busy schedule.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options

I'm both the obcessed with sweets type and finally worrying about my health and this kind of comment doesn't help. The only way to really understand how bad or not bad stuff is for you is to start calorie counting, it really opened my eyes to stuff that I thought wasnt so bad that is terrribly calorie dense and on the flip side- stuff I can eat WAY more than I even want and not overeat.

Egg - 70 calories (fry in pam)
    2 strips of bacon (i cut mine in half before frying so I get 4 strips...it's a mental trick that works on me) - 90 calories - I get Hempler's which is local, but local bacon will often be less fatty so you can have more

Mustard - 0 calories (I love mustard)

Make a list of foods you like and find out which ones are surprisingly calorie light and focus on them, I also don't eat out much due to financial issues, food you don't prep yourself and/or that has no nutrition facts on it is KILLER.

At the begining you just have to be super vigilant, it's almost like a part time job, but after a couple months you get used to calorie counting.

I'm kind of confused, you say my comment doesn't help but you go into your reply describing the benefits of calorie counting. The point of what I was saying was in response to the OP stating that he has no control and moderation does not work for him, additionally he even mentions that he doesn't have a say in what his parents feed him. No excuses, he does have control.