Moderation DOES NOT WORK for me

Options

Replies

• andrewelee1983
    andrewelee1983 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've also had luck eating 10-15 Peanut M&M's, junior mints, mike& ikes (6 cal per candy instead of the 10 most are).

This is the kind of "moderation" that I cannot fathom.

To me, the willpower required to open a bag of M&Ms, pluck out only 10-15 of them, and then not eat the rest is far, far greater than the willpower required to not eat any.
    This is my experience as well.
    Ditto.

That sounds like absolute torture.
    And not worth it. Again, for ME pizza and tortilla chips are tough to resist, and I'll make or order healthier options and then factor them in. For candy and sweets, I'd rather skip it than eat 10-15 M&Ms.

And if I'm going to have pizza, as a foodie it's going to be a damned good probably artisan pizza. No Pizza Hut for me. But it's going to be on a whole wheat crust (or cauliflower if I get the hankering, which happens), and have lots of veggies.

It's all about knowing what works for you. At first you have to trick yourself into believing that you arent dieting, you are just changing what you george on (Hobby time, veggies, anything that distracts you)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Moderation doesn't work for me either. If I do it, then I OVERdo it. That means that, like me, you will just have to cut those foods out completely and not even look at them if you can possibly help it. Also, since you mentioned you're a college student: STAY AWAY FROM THE RAMEN!!! That shiz is 400 calories a block, and it's all carbs and fat, basically no actual nutrition to satisfy your hunger. Eat yogurt, vegetables, boiled eggs, fruit, chicken breast, stuff like that. Salads are good BUT you need to get the light dressing and measure how much you put on there, otherwise you will unknowingly sabotage yourself. Ixnay on the cheese and peanut butter and soda.

It takes about three months to acclimate to this new way of doing things. In the meantime, if you get cravings, drink a cup of tea instead. Putting something warm in your stomach helps quiet it down.
  • andrewelee1983
    Options
    At the end of the day you control what goes in your mouth and any additional output (exercising or movement in general) to burn more calories.

Sorry, I have to eat what mom and dad buy isn't good enough. You do have a say in what groceries your family buys, I bet mom will be more than happy to help stock the house with foods that will enjoy and maybe even make healthier meals. Even if you don't, just because mom buys a tub of ice cream or fries up some chicken doesn't mean you have to eat it or that you can't practice moderation.

I grew up with a family of obese people and now that I'm calorie counting I'm starting to realize that meals they were preparing werne't necessarily the problem. Consumption of sugared sodas contributed to my family's obesity, excess consumption of deserts and fried foods, not measuring snacks like potatoe chips and ultimately lack of exercise from watching TV or playing video games all day.

THere are so many things you have control over, stop making excuses.

I'm both the obcessed with sweets type and finally worrying about my health and this kind of comment doesn't help. The only way to really understand how bad or not bad stuff is for you is to start calorie counting, it really opened my eyes to stuff that I thought wasnt so bad that is terrribly calorie dense and on the flip side- stuff I can eat WAY more than I even want and not overeat.

Egg - 70 calories (fry in pam)
    2 strips of bacon (i cut mine in half before frying so I get 4 strips...it's a mental trick that works on me) - 90 calories - I get Hempler's which is local, but local bacon will often be less fatty so you can have more

Mustard - 0 calories (I love mustard)

Make a list of foods you like and find out which ones are surprisingly calorie light and focus on them, I also don't eat out much due to financial issues, food you don't prep yourself and/or that has no nutrition facts on it is KILLER.

At the begining you just have to be super vigilant, it's almost like a part time job, but after a couple months you get used to calorie counting.

I'm kind of confused, you say my comment doesn't help but you go into your reply describing the benefits of calorie counting. The point of what I was saying was in response to the OP stating that he has no control and moderation does not work for him, additionally he even mentions that he doesn't have a say in what his parents feed him. No excuses, he does have control.

Telling someone to "Just get over it, you are in control" doesnt help. THat type of statement puts someone instantly on the defensive. Suggestions are helpful, blanket statements like "don't make excuses" just make people defensive
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options

Telling someone to "Just get over it, you are in control" doesnt help. THat type of statement puts someone instantly on the defensive. Suggestions are helpful, blanket statements like "don't make excuses" just make people defensive

Not here to hold anyone's hand. If they want honest feedback they're going to get it.

You can in fact lose weight eating any and all of your favorite foods and for one to be healthy for life they must develop a healthy relationship with food. Not being able to control yourself around food is an excuse and an unhealthy relationship.
  • andrewelee1983
    Options

Not here to hold anyone's hand. If they want honest feedback they're going to get it.

You can in fact lose weight eating any and all of your favorite foods and for one to be healthy for life they must develop a healthy relationship with food. Not being able to control yourself around food is an excuse and an unhealthy relationship.

The problem being, when you put someone on the defensive, they will stop listening to the GOOD parts of the advice and focus on the accusation. It's psychology 101

http://www.carlsonschool.umn.edu/assets/71516.pdf
  • martinel2099
    Options

The problem being, when you put someone on the defensive, they will stop listening to the GOOD parts of the advice and focus on the accusation. It's psychology 101

We will have to agree to disagree then. Me telling someone that they have control over their life isn't a debby downer statement.
  • andrewelee1983
    Options

We will have to agree to disagree then. Me telling someone that they have control over their life isn't a debby downer statement.

but people INTERPRET it that way, and you can't control someone's interpretation.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    OP, there isn't just one way to do moderation. Someone saying they eat something "in moderation" doesn't necessarily mean they can have it in the house and just eat one portion at a time. You can also enjoy foods "in moderation" by limiting the frequency. If there is a certain food where you know if you have it, you're eating all of it, you can enjoy it "in moderation" by only having that food on special occasions, or every few months, or once a month, or whatever works for you.

The idea of encouraging people to eat "in moderation" is to get them in the mindset of not eliminating certain foods from their diet, but being mindful of what they are eating, their behaviors when it comes to food, and taking ownership of that. So you can eat in moderation, you just need to figure out what works best for you and which approach to use with different foods.
  • andrewelee1983
    Options
    At the end of the day you control what goes in your mouth and any additional output (exercising or movement in general) to burn more calories.

Sorry, I have to eat what mom and dad buy isn't good enough. You do have a say in what groceries your family buys, I bet mom will be more than happy to help stock the house with foods that will enjoy and maybe even make healthier meals. Even if you don't, just because mom buys a tub of ice cream or fries up some chicken doesn't mean you have to eat it or that you can't practice moderation.

I grew up with a family of obese people and now that I'm calorie counting I'm starting to realize that meals they were preparing werne't necessarily the problem. Consumption of sugared sodas contributed to my family's obesity, excess consumption of deserts and fried foods, not measuring snacks like potatoe chips and ultimately lack of exercise from watching TV or playing video games all day.

THere are so many things you have control over, stop making excuses.

I'm both the obcessed with sweets type and finally worrying about my health and this kind of comment doesn't help. The only way to really understand how bad or not bad stuff is for you is to start calorie counting, it really opened my eyes to stuff that I thought wasnt so bad that is terrribly calorie dense and on the flip side- stuff I can eat WAY more than I even want and not overeat.

Egg - 70 calories (fry in pam)
    2 strips of bacon (i cut mine in half before frying so I get 4 strips...it's a mental trick that works on me) - 90 calories - I get Hempler's which is local, but local bacon will often be less fatty so you can have more

Mustard - 0 calories (I love mustard)

Make a list of foods you like and find out which ones are surprisingly calorie light and focus on them, I also don't eat out much due to financial issues, food you don't prep yourself and/or that has no nutrition facts on it is KILLER.

At the begining you just have to be super vigilant, it's almost like a part time job, but after a couple months you get used to calorie counting.

I'm kind of confused, you say my comment doesn't help but you go into your reply describing the benefits of calorie counting. The point of what I was saying was in response to the OP stating that he has no control and moderation does not work for him, additionally he even mentions that he doesn't have a say in what his parents feed him. No excuses, he does have control.

Well people need to toughen up and not be so defensive. We are not everyone's mother than will coddle you and sugar coat the truth.

How is offering up solutions sugar coating the truth? Weight loss is a touchy subject for fat people, I know because Untill 2-3 months ago I was 220 Lbs and i've lost 26, I still have the mentality of being embarrassed about being fat.

When you are embarrassed by youself you get defensive easy. I still consider myself a fat guy but I'm 194lbs and 6' tall, so I'm only slightly overweight at this point
  • martinel2099
    Options
    but people INTERPRET it that way, and you can't control someone's interpretation.

Absolutely and I'm not here to be his friend and coddle him. I see excuses, I'll call him out for said excuses in an effort to help him. If he perceives me as captain D bag and then decides lives out the rest of his life without self control that's out of my power.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

It's the internet. There's nothing you can post that won't be misinterpreted by someone.

That's assuming they have the reading comprehension to have a prayer of understanding the post in the first place.
  • andrewelee1983
    Options

Absolutely and I'm not here to be his friend and coddle him. I see excuses, I'll call him out for said excuses in an effort to help him. If he perceives me as captain D bag and then decides lives out the rest of his life without self control that's out of my power.

The thing is, with weight loss, calling someone out instead of offering alternatives is often discouraging and is likely to be the opposite of helpful, are you trying to help or just here to point out control issues.

Everyone who is overweight has problems with self control, how else did we get this way, we KNOW we have control issues, the reason we come online for help and start doing something about it is because we need SUGGESTIONS on how to cope with our control issues
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

So what? It's not *my* problem, and the underlying issue is not mine to fix.

It's Reality 101.
  • andrewelee1983
    Options

It's Reality 101.

If it's not your problem then why bother commenting on it? Making a comment is a method to get involved
  • samanthaxb
    samanthaxb Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    As a recovering binge eater one thing I can tell you is that the less of the unhealthy stuff you eat the less you will crave it. The more of it you eat the worse it gets. If you can cut out the junk food for a while you will go through a type of withdrawal but once you get past that it gets way easier. I rarely have cravings and when I do it is usually for a particular macro nutrient that I am shy on that day.

However, when I went on a trip last month and was eating out non-stop I didn't make the best choices. As a result, I found those cravings creeping back in I am having to stamp it back out. If you stick with good habits and eat less and less processed junk you will wake up one day and find you are no longer a slave to food.

Good luck

Agreed. I'm a recovering binger and I couldn't have said it better myself. I tend to avoid my trigger foods completely for the time being.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

It's Reality 101.

If it's not your problem then why bother commenting on it? Making a comment is a method to get involved

Indeed.

And just as the person asking the question isn't motivated by the needs of the people the question is being asked of, my response is motivated by my own personal needs.

Everybody here is in it for themselves.

That's what happens when nobody is getting paid to tread gently.

If you need extra hand holding, get off the internet and pay a professional to provide the service.
  • martinel2099
    Options
    To many people like to play the victim. And all you do by doing that is sabotaging yourself.

I liked your entire reply but this part especially stuck out to me. Very well said.