Results from weight training

Options
124»

Replies

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    find a couple old tires... buy a 20 lb sledge... and beat those tires for 40 minutes every day...join a rugby club... practice will build strength and stamina... I get it.. your at a level of fitness now that is screaming for you to do something with it... Swim... ad a weight vest for your runs... think Functional training... how about doing some bootcamps....join a rock climbing centre... what is the point in being "fit" if you can't use it? .. fact is if you do use it... you won't lose it.. and you can pretty much eat as much as you like so long as you stay within your macros... find ways to enjoy it.. beyond waiting to sign up for the next run
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Went through this also, started lifting heavy at the beginning of the year, increased my calories and lowered my fat macro like all the calculators recommended, but wasn't seeing any progress, in fact my BF% kept going up. So I lowered my calories from 2,000 to 1,600, increased fat macro and didn't worry if I went over on carbs and BOOM, the BF% started going in the right direction and I can definitely see more definition, especially my legs, which are my trouble areas. I also decreased the amount of cardio I did. I lift 3 days, total body, with more emphisis on my legs. This chick NEVER skips leg day.
  • jamieben1824
    jamieben1824 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree with PPs who say to follow a structured program. Lift heavy for low reps.

On that note, I started StrongLifts 5x5 in March and I could see noticeable differences within a month.

^ regardling the StrongLifts, I find it interesting and have heard alot of ppl talking about how 'strong" it makes you, What about lean muscle? I am a female and while strength is important, It is just as for me to gain lean muscle mass. Please advise! :)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I agree with PPs who say to follow a structured program. Lift heavy for low reps.

On that note, I started StrongLifts 5x5 in March and I could see noticeable differences within a month.

^ regardling the StrongLifts, I find it interesting and have heard alot of ppl talking about how 'strong" it makes you, What about lean muscle? I am a female and while strength is important, It is just as for me to gain lean muscle mass. Please advise! :)

you can do SL 5x5
    It will help with muscle....all muscle is lean.

Seeing said muscle is a matter of getting BF down
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I would think newb gains would apply to him, would it not? He should be able to build noticeable muscle while on a calorie deficit. I'm more inclined to guess that he isn't going hard enough/heavy enough if he is a newb and hasn't seen a noticeable difference in muscle mass since April.
    I am down to my BMI for the first time in 20 years. So I don't want to lose any additional weight. I run races from 5k-15k and am signed up for a half marathon in February. I do three sets of 10 of 80% of my max weight. I am not trying to be a big body builder(beefcake as Cartman from south park says). Just want to be more toned in general. I try to keep my calories around 2,200-2500 a day netting about 1800-1900 after exercise.

What you are doing all around will keep you having a "runners body" meaning lean, you are not going to turn into a "big body builder" by following the programs that everyone has mentioned. But you are honestly, just spinning your wheels in the gym with what you are doing now. Basically you have two choices, like Mity said focus on lifting to get that more "defined" look or keep jogging. Can't blame you to keep jogging if it is what you love, also without knowing your stats, I would guess you should be netting the 2,200 to 2,500 after exercise.
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    bump
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Take pictures. It's hard to see progress in the mirror because it happens so slowly. Take pics monthly and compare.