Eating clean, NOT working!?!?

Options
13»

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Too many calories is too many calories. You'll gain weight regardless of what you eat.

Bingo!
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Too many calories is too many calories. You'll gain weight regardless of what you eat.

^^^This^^^

Also, get a scale. You'll be AMAZED at what you "thought" 4 oz of chicken was and what it really is. Holds true for any food. I use TrendWeight.com daily. It has really helped. There are days when I get on the scale and drop an F bomb, only to find out later on TW that I am still actually headed in the right direction. It really helps to reign in the scale flucuation freakouts that we all have. Additionally, I found that beer was a big culprit for me. I was staying below my calories each day but my weight wasn't going up or down. I quit drinking beer as part of a new diet and began losing. The new diet excludes beer, bread, rice, tortillas, fruit, corn, and anything with sugar in it. I am eating lean meats, vegetables, milk, cheese, coffee, and lots of water. The weight is finally coming off. Take it for what it's worth. What works for me may not be exactly what works for you. The absolute number one thing ot remember is to NEVER GIVE UP! Have a bad day? Come back with a vengeance next time around. Good luck!
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Everything I have read says there is no need to track cals consumed when eating clean.

If anything says that, it's either not talking about weight loss, or it's total bs.

Totally agree. I think personally, when I'm eating my verson of "clean" - it's hard to overeat. For me, that means no added sugar, no grains, no preservatives other than citric acid or sea salt, no dairy. If I'm eating veggies, meat, moderat amounts of fruit and nuts... I can PRETTY MUCH eat all I want and be right around where I should on calories.

That doesn't mean I'm not counting though - if for no other reason than I want to have the data to know what happened once I see results (positive or negative). If my measurements or the scale are moving the wrong way, I can cut back on the nuts, for example.

Now if you don't care about weight loss (and some people don't) - then it would be a different thing. Eating clean would likely make you feel better - you might see results in your skin and hair (my dentist was definitely impressed with the difference in my teeth when I cut out sugar for the previous 6 months!) but if you are worrying about weight, you should track what you're eating so you have the data to know what to adjust.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more then fat, so you might gain a little weight at first, but you will be leaner in the long run. I suggest both cardio and lifting weights along with a healthier diet w/ out the processed foods. Also drink lots of water and avoid weighing yourself daily. Instead weigh yourself 1-2 tops a week.

Uh no.. a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle .. a pound of fat simply takes up more space then a pound of muscle. Think about a pound of feathers vs a pound of steel balls. You'll need a lot more feathers, a larger pile that takes up more space, then you will steell balls, eventhough both piles weigh a pound. So if you are converting fat to muscle and not losing weight you will lose inches, not show a gain. If you are gaining weight you either need to adjust your calories or adjust your exercise routing. SImple.

I agree with the rest of your statement.

She didnt say pound of muscle weights same as pound of fat any intelligent human would be able fill in gaps and know that we are referencing to volume come on man when someone says i weight same as an ant we arent gonna say yea 200lbs of human weights same as 200lbs pounds of ant are we? We gonna say humans dont weight the same as ants.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Nothing works in a week
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    When people say "eat clean" it makes me want to punch them. Seriously, can we change it to "try your best to not eat crap"? :smile:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Food is just food full stop. no food is dirty unless it needs washing so just turn on the tap and all sorted.. just stay under calorie goal and you'll lose.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    it doesn't work.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more then fat
    :huh: I LULed.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Food is just food full stop. no food is dirty unless it needs washing so just turn on the tap and all sorted.. just stay under calorie goal and you'll lose.

Hahah - Come to think of it, the food I personally consider "clean" can, as a general rule, be washed and then eaten without falling apart/being ruined by the water.

But you still have to stay under on calories if you want to lose weight.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Anyone else eating clean and NOT losing weight or inches??? I have only been trying this clean eating thing for a little over a week but have seen NO changes in my body measurements or the scale! Actually, the scale is creeping up! I'm lifting weights but have done very little cardio. I'm disappointed. I really thought cleaning out the processed food would make a big difference, quickly. :(

Losing weight is about calories, period. I lost 50lbs eating gobs of processed foods/eating out etc. Now that I'm in maintenance I'm transitioning to a whole foods/'clean', plant based diet for the health benefits and haven't lost any weight with it, nor did I expect to. Eating healthier choices is great for you, but it's not going to cause weight loss, unless you're eating at a calorie deficit.
  • sarah_bid
    sarah_bid Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi I have been calorie counting for years now but I have just changed to clean eating and still counting my cals. I have been having about 1200 cals or just under and when I submit my dairy at the end if the day it's saying I will weigh more if I eat this way in 5 weeks. I am very disappointed as I have been very good and not cheated and yet I am gaining weight????
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I haven't really been tracking my calories. Everything I have read says there is no need to track cals consumed when eating clean. However, I have a VERY hard time losing weight so I think I may need to track. I do not feel I am overeating at all but I also don't typically lose anything if I'm eating over 1000 cals/day...which is not a lot but if I choose clean foods, it's plenty. I think I have a really crappy metabolism. Which is why I have increased my weight training, in hopes of boosting it.
    For me, "clean" foods are foods that are not processed and have 5 ingredients or less (for the most part).

Clean eating really refers to the type and quality of your food choices not quantity. If you want to lose weight then you should track your calories. IMO, clean eating makes it easier to lose weight because you aren't eating highly processed foods that are typically high in caloric value and you can eat more in bulk eating clean than you can eating highly processed foods but you still need to keep an eye on calories if you want to lose.

A little over a week is not long enough to see much in the way of weight loss or change in measurements. Give it a bit of time. Keep eating clean and doing your weight training. A bit of cardio would help as well.