Any Menopause weight loss success stories?

Options

Replies

• 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: for encouragement
  • luadams2
    luadams2 Posts: 122
    Options
    I fought weight gain during those pre-menopausal years, so yeah, I had some weight issues, but I wasn't overweight. I just had unhealthy ways of dealing with the weight. Skipping meals, not eating right, fad diets. I managed but yo-yo'ed a lot. It wasn't a good way to keep my weight down. I joined MFP a long time ago, but would always quit counting the calories and just ate rice cakes instead or whatever. I have never stuck to an actual diet for very long. This two-month run has been the longest and the healthiest way I have ever lost any weight.

I think I can do this. I'm not hungry all the time like before. I am not skipping breakfast or lunch, then eating high calorie dinners due to starvation, then working out like a fiend and wearing myself out trying to burn all of that off. It's slow and steady. I'm digging it. I haven't been yo-yo'ing. So far, so good. I feel healthy. My workouts aren't strenuous, just consistent.

I honestly do not believe that because you reach middle age and have to deal with menopause means you have to be fat. You don't have to spend hours at the gym either. You just have to stay within that calorie range and move your body for an hour a day. It is coming off more slowly than it did before, but it IS coming off. I'm okay! So far, so good!

Edited to add that I weighed 135 pre-hysterectomy and was 158 lbs. when I started this weight loss journey. So I would attribute all 25 lbs. to post-hysterectomy depression and laying about stuffing my face believing all the propaganda out there that says you are doomed to being fat, low energy and sex-less after hysterectomy.
  • scoob1983
    scoob1983 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AnnetteCorrado983
    Options
    I am 53 and I am a former fat girl turned fit as a triathlete (SWIM/BIKE/RUN). I have lost 60 pounds in 18 months via diet low carb/high protein and 5-6 day exercise plan. I am training for an Ironman 70.3 in September 2014 which is a mile swim 50 mile bike and 13.1 run. See a RD or a doctor for advice. I take a hormone patch weekly and this has helped my hot flashes and corrected my hormonal status. Good luck!
  • prutner
    prutner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bump to save ????
  • Donna6017
    Donna6017 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow
  • mrshunt3
    mrshunt3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm 63, well past menopause, and have just started with MFP on the advice of my son, aged 40, who has just lost a whopping 85 pounds just using MFP. I've done it a "million times", lost weight and gained it back plus some, but in the past three or four years, all of the weight has gone to my middle and I just became disgusted and frustrated at how I look and feel.
    I retired in June this year-10 years of sitting behind a desk-then we moved to a new state. Needless to say, it was kind of a stressful time for me. As soon as we settled, I made up my mind to get this weight off of me and start feeling good again. I joined MFP and have stuck to the recommendations they provided. I'm so pleased with the results that I know I will reach my goal of losing 104 pounds!! I am exercising 6 days a week, alternating walking with weight training, and I can just now begin to tell the difference in my stamina. I still can't do all of the exercises I want to do as yet, but I know I will in the weeks to come…knees are just not what they used to be!!!
    I was fortunate to not have too much trouble with menopause-a few hot flashes, but nothing I couldn't live with. The worst problem has been my middle belly weight gain and that concerned me as it was so much so quickly. I fear heart problems, stroke and the like-I just don't want to have those fears if I can help it. I am pretty much healthy as a horse-not on medications of any kind.
    Good luck to all of us ladies-so excited for those that have met or are reaching their goals-it truly is inspiring to me!!
  • Beanogirl
    Beanogirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Started in March 2014. I am losing more slowly than I would like but as long as it's going the right way I can live with it. My body seems to be losing in a different way than before. Loads gone off my legs and bottom first but I know (hoping) the rest of me will catch up. My stomach and hips don't seem to be reducing at the same rate. I am trying to stick to 1200 calories and walk a lot at the weekends, but I have always walked, this isn't a new activity for me.
  • cinnamon009
    cinnamon009 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump to save
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This hasn't been mentioned in a while:

there's a great group of women dieting, maintaining, and getting to know their new menopausal bodies here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/523-near-or-post-menopausal-group

Best of luck!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and I had no trouble (surprisingly, according to my doctors) losing weight while peri-menopausal. However, having been menopausal for around 18 months, the weight is creeping back on - and my symptoms (hot flashes, etc.) have been worse the last 6 months or so.

I finally decided I just needed to be super-careful again and for the last two weeks have closely watched my calorie intake - eating mostly fresh/frozen veggies and lean meats with yogurt, fresh fruits, and whole grains making up the remainder. I work out 5 days/wk. This month I'm doing Beachbody PiYo to give my feet a break (arthritis due to bad bone structure), but I usually do intensive cardio and I normally do weight training 2-3 times/wk (but not with the PiYo program - it's strength training by body weight). If I eat at what TDEE calculations say I should to maintain, I gain weight. :(

So, two weeks of being super-good and normally I would have lost 1-2 lbs. This time, I GAINED 3 lbs. WTH? I did start a new post-menopausal medication (non-hormonal) around 3 wks ago and I'm wondering if this is the cause - although I haven't seen weight gain noted as a side-effect. My diary is open, although I haven't been good at logging lately, I have been careful about what I'm eating and portion sizes. I do measure/weigh most of my food. Been a bit lazy about exactly measuring the veggies, but seriously, I don't think they are a problem. By now, I am pretty good at eye-balling a cup of steamed broccoli. :happy:

I'm definitely interested in what others have to say. I'm sticking with my plan for the remainder of August and may have to go off the meds to see if that helps at all - then suffer through the other menopausal symptoms. Dang - just seems there is no winning right now!
  • SandieM7
    SandieM7 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am 58 years old and started this weight loss journey last September....almost a year later and I'm down 54 lbs and am 3 lbs from my goal. I won't lie, it has been and continues to be hard work and dedication. For the most part I journalize every day. Exercise is an absolute must for my success. I usually will walk about 6 miles a day or take a spin class and use an elliptical machine on days I don't walk. I try to stay within 1200-1400 calories a day; rarely will eat many of my exercise calories back. With all that said, I do occasionally have a treat ....I went on a cruise a couple months ago and enjoyed myself, but when I came home I took up right where I left off so as not to sabotage all my hard work - that is new for me, in the past if I fell off the wagon, so to speak, I found it impossible to climb back on. MFP has truly been a wonderful tool for me.

Everyone has their own methods that work best for them, but I wanted to share my experience with you and tell you that just because you're in menopause does not mean you can't be successful.....we design our own success. Good luck and be patient.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    My gp says no, but I've been struggling with my weight since my menstrual cycle stopped in 2008. I've regained my energy level by consuming 70-100g of protein a day, and to be honest I've never eating as much food since I was a child growing up. I also exersice a min. 3500kcal a week. I've been a member since last Sep, and I've lost 4kg going on 5.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Has taken me 5 years but that is ok.
    Age 51 post menopause weight 183
    Next week age 56 current weight 142.
    I am 5'7.
    A combination of the following did the trick.
    Portion sizes. Use a salad plate for dinner. Never eat more than 4oz of meat at a time.
    Eat something at least three times a day.
    Stay at 100-125 carbs a day, 1500 sodium.
    Very small amount of proccessed food.
    Drink water, for me at least 30-40 oz a day.
  • ccam99
    ccam99 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Great Thread! I will take the time to read everyone's comments. Thanks OP for this question. I am hitting it now at age 51 and will enjoy reading others success stories.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I just turned 51. I have had minimal symptoms, mostly bloating, weight gain, irregular periods, moodiness - and the emotional stress of it all is probably my worst symptom. I have hot flashes intermittently but nothing that has been real real bad. I do not like being so sporadic on my periods. I won't have one and then when I do its like a dam burst. So when I went for my last gyn visit I talked to doc about it and all my options. I had been on BC before and got off because I just felt like I should go natural.

After visiting with him about different options I decided to go back on for another 5 years - at least to try this for one year and see how it goes. I'm on a low dose, with a progesterone pill I take on my 7 days of cycle to help keep levels even. I'm on my 2nd week of pills and I have to say I feel more normal than I have in a long time (even with a lot going on in my world right now). I feel like the belly has already gone down. I was worried about side effect of being on the pill at my age and my gyn assures me that it is very minimal and that it actually makes my risk for cervical cancer lower. He said age 55 is where he starts telling his patients to try going off the pill because by that time they could be basically through menopause and will have very little problems transitioning to no periods. And I could still get pregnant right now and that was always a big concern when I would not have a period and I was stressing about getting pregnant at 50!
  • laurielie
    laurielie Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! Great tips!!! ????
  • joannesohn
    Options
    Hi Everyone!!

I just wanted to let you know that I have a special 5 day promotion on Amazon Kindle coming up where my newest book on MENOPAUSE will be available for FREE.

It will be free starting Sunday 09/07/14 until Thursday 09/11/14 Click Here: http://tinyurl.com/klpksm2

Enjoy,
    Joanne :)
  • ParisRoses
    ParisRoses Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am 43, been in peri menopause for 3 years since my tubal and found that after many different attempts with quitting sugar I just needed to moderate. I keep my calorie goal MFP gives me, walking has REALLY helped and I take maca root herbal supplements which has completely eliminated hot flashes and helped with the loss. This is the first time in the 3 years weight is slowly but surely coming off.
  • patwojo
    patwojo Posts: 13
    Options
    bump to save
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!