Does Anyone Else Dream About Eating a Cheeseburger & Fries?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I eat cheeseburgers. Not 1,000 calories ones. Not one's with shiny plastic like white buns, but damned good burgers that have a reasonable amount of calories and some good nutritional value. And I eat SOME sweet potato fries, or regular fries from a good restaurant.

In fact, I'm planning on a burger tonight. It's not going to be a big mac value meal, but a tasty grass fed beauty with some cheese and chile on a nice rye bread. Exactly the way I like em.

It's been a few weeks since I've had one.... I'm older, and my TDEE/BMR are lower now, so I don't do it daily...but I will be today.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    That's what I had for lunch yesterday. :smile: As others have said - it fits in my goals, and I enjoy it. Daily? No, but on a regular basis. I'm not giving up cheeseburgers or any other food I really enjoy forever. In this for life! :drinker:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Yeah, agreed just you, I fit them in whenever I want them...... Best of Luck though......
  • Cjmi427
    Cjmi427 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Had it for dinner last night, and when I added in my pint of Guinness --which was absolutely essential to my happiness :drinker: --I
    went over my calorie goal by around 350 calories (I think, I just estimated the calories in the burger and fries the best I could). I'll just exercise more today and not eat back the calories, so I'm not worried about it. However, I could have skipped the bun, mayo, and fries and been just as satisfied. I'll keep it in mind for next time!
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    It's kind of difficult to explain, but for me, food is like a drug. It's better for me to go cold turkey and stick by my self-imposed rules, than to flirt with going back to my old eating habits. I guess it would be akin to telling an alcoholic, you have a scotch or three once a week, but then you have to go back on the wagon.

I know I could fit it into my daily allowance, but, for me, it's just better that I don't.
    Food is not a drug... it's just food. Burgers provide good protein/fat macros. *shrug*

I realize this has already been pounded into the ground many times, but for the benefit of those who think and say things like this, please know that for *some* people, certain foods *act* just like a drug in their brains and the fallout is the same as that of an alcoholic.

While studies have not yet proven that combinations of sugar, salt, and fat are a drug, it IS being demonstrated that the effects some people experience after eating particular foods trigger the same parts of the brain that drugs or alcohol does, and the thinking/behavior that follows is exactly that of an addict. It should also be noted that the methods of addiction treatment and management also work beautifully for this particular food problem.

So while you are "technically" correct that food is not actually a drug, it is important to note that this technicality is irrelevant to the person who experiences the exact symptoms of addiction when they eat certain foods. What does matter is using tools and methods that work for them to help them manage their addictive-like tendencies. If that involves "abstinence" with a particular food item (i.e., the conscious, willing, surrendered act of choosing to not eat a particular food item which triggers them), then kudos to them. They've found freedom where they used to find obsession. That freedom can be found in moderation as well, for certain foods.

The point is to find Freedom. Do it however you can, be it abstinence or moderation...or both, depending on the food and your reaction to it! The beauty is, it's up to the individual and what works for them.

So those who moderate, should be advised to carry on. And those who abstain, should be advised to carry on. And that should be done without judgement. :smile:
  • muggzie399
    muggzie399 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    No, don't dream about food. Not enough room in there with all the other junk going on. I do eat fries on Thursdays and Sat. My dinner with ketchup. I allow for them on these days. Register every fry.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Or is it just me?

No, I don't dream about it, I eat it. Then the next day, I fast. It all balances out. :-)
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Yep. I did extra Cardio today just so i could have a Mcd's Double Cheeseburger and Fries. Lol
    The funny thing is, i really appreciate Fast Food more now (maybe appreciate is the wrong word ;) ).
    But when i used to eat it all the time, i didn't really taste it or really care about what i was actually eating.
    I would've preferred to go to the Gourmet Burger place a few miles away, but having Mc D's once in a blue Moon won't kill me.
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It's kind of difficult to explain, but for me, food is like a drug. It's better for me to go cold turkey and stick by my self-imposed rules, than to flirt with going back to my old eating habits. I guess it would be akin to telling an alcoholic, you have a scotch or three once a week, but then you have to go back on the wagon.

I know I could fit it into my daily allowance, but, for me, it's just better that I don't.
    Food is not a drug... it's just food. Burgers provide good protein/fat macros. *shrug*

I realize this has already been pounded into the ground many times, but for the benefit of those who think and say things like this, please know that for *some* people, certain foods *act* just like a drug in their brains and the fallout is the same as that of an alcoholic.

While studies have not yet proven that combinations of sugar, salt, and fat are a drug, it IS being demonstrated that the effects some people experience after eating particular foods trigger the same parts of the brain that drugs or alcohol does, and the thinking/behavior that follows is exactly that of an addict. It should also be noted that the methods of addiction treatment and management also work beautifully for this particular food problem.

So while you are "technically" correct that food is not actually a drug, it is important to note that this technicality is irrelevant to the person who experiences the exact symptoms of addiction when they eat certain foods. What does matter is using tools and methods that work for them to help them manage their addictive-like tendencies. If that involves "abstinence" with a particular food item (i.e., the conscious, willing, surrendered act of choosing to not eat a particular food item which triggers them), then kudos to them. They've found freedom where they used to find obsession. That freedom can be found in moderation as well, for certain foods.

The point is to find Freedom. Do it however you can, be it abstinence or moderation...or both, depending on the food and your reaction to it! The beauty is, it's up to the individual and what works for them.

So those who moderate, should be advised to carry on. And those who abstain, should be advised to carry on. And that should be done without judgement. :smile:
    THANK YOU!

You just saved me a ton of typing because I was about to reply with pretty much exactly what you said!

This part bears repeating, so those who like to judge and tell everyone else how they should live their life, please read this again....

"The point is to find Freedom. Do it however you can, be it abstinence or moderation...or both, depending on the food and your reaction to it! The beauty is, it's up to the individual and what works for them.

So those who moderate, should be advised to carry on. And those who abstain, should be advised to carry on. And that should be done without judgment." :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I grilled up burgers last night for the family...no fries, but I made some potato salad...I was not aware that I was doing something wrong...
  • jennifurballs
    Options
    That, and try surviving without food... And what will happen when you're at your goal weight? You never plan to have a cheeseburger again?

By the time I get to my goal weight, I should have the skills/ability to maintain it without having to sacrifice much. For now, I have to do what works for me.

If you read the post above, you will possibly gain some understanding. I posted my initial question because I thought it was kind of funny to dream about eating a big, juicy cheeseburger and fries, but I'm really glad that it's turned into a meaningful discussion about how, for whatever reasons, people develop unhealthy relationships with food. I know I'm not the only one. For those of you who aren't in that boat, hopefully, you'll learn that we're not all the same and stop being so judgmental.
  • jennifurballs
    Options
    I grilled up burgers last night for the family...no fries, but I made some potato salad...I was not aware that I was doing something wrong...

Doing what works for you and your family is never wrong.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    That, and try surviving without food... And what will happen when you're at your goal weight? You never plan to have a cheeseburger again?

By the time I get to my goal weight, I should have the skills/ability to maintain it without having to sacrifice much. For now, I have to do what works for me.

If you read the post above, you will possibly gain some understanding. I posted my initial question because I thought it was kind of funny to dream about eating a big, juicy cheeseburger and fries, but I'm really glad that it's turned into a meaningful discussion about how, for whatever reasons, people develop unhealthy relationships with food. I know I'm not the only one. For those of you who aren't in that boat, hopefully, you'll learn that we're not all the same and stop being so judgmental.

Responding to a thread does not equal judgemental. *shrug* I'm not the one dreaming of food I refuse to eat.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options

Just to demonstrate the myriad differences between what works for people, I'd like to chime in that it is possible to choose not have a particular food ever again. I decided to abstain from white flour products and sugary treats such as cake, cookies, cupcakes, ice cream, etc. back in January 2012 and I have not had one since (with the exception in the 2nd paragraph below). I do not plan to have any for the rest of my life either; however, I do this by abstaining one day at a time. So far I've received absolutely no confirmation from within myself that I should reintroduce these foods back into my life.

I have tried certain gluten free breads and things like pizza and hot dogs w/regular buns and find that some of these things tempt me to eat more again (particularly toast with jam)...so I re-abstain from them one day at a time until I feel I will be ready again. But I already know there is a very high chance I'll not be able to re-introduce the sugary stuff in my lifetime. And I am content with this, each day, and I don't worry about the future.

I want to emphasize that I do not say this to boast nor make anyone feel ashamed. If you can moderate with sugary treats then you should absolutely go for it. I only testify to all this to show that it is possible to abstain from something for life. I do not need cake to be happy. I need Freedom to be happy.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    No. But then again I've been vegetarian for years.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I still eat them!
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    alfonsinarosinsky Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm "cheat meals" positive, so if I'm craving something, I eat it. Not every day, every meal, but if I want a cheeseburger and some fries, why not? Eating something indulgent doesn't set me off/trigger me into binge eating like it does some people this time around.

I have been through this "lifestyle change" a few times before, and every single time I cut out EVERYTHING BAD and only ate 'good stuff', and I always failed. This time around, I have a much more positive and relaxed attitude towards getting to goal.

I don't believe in denying myself a treat every once in a while, especially when I'm working out enough/eating well enough *most* of the time to not make it really count. One cheeseburger isn't going to make me gain back 28lbs.

this^
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    No, because I just eat them.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I eat them, so no need to dream.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't dream about them, I eat them. McDonald's has a grilled onion cheddar burger for about 310 calories and a small fry is around 200 or so. As long as you add them into your calorie goals and stick close to your macros eat away.