Funny "tricks" YOU have found to speed/help your weightloss

Options
13»

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    The best "trick" I have learned is to keep changing and don't try to figure it out.

It's not simple calories in vs calories out because one high calorie day can cause a loss and drinking a zero calorie Diet Pepsi can cause a 2 lb gain in water retention.

I work out every day more for my mental health than physical health.

A good, hard weight training session that leaves you sore will also give you with a short term gain on the scale because sore muscles also retain water.

Water, water, water!!

And lastly, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. When a loss happens even after you have been eating terriblely, just take it and be thankful.

:huh:

Are you trying to lose water or trying to lose fat? Because if you're trying to lose fat, then it's completely calories in vs. calories out.
    That's not true!

liposuction.jpg
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    To help - occasional cheat meals plus two week diet breaks. Means I am happy to follow my plan of action most of the time without going degen on crap as I know I'll be able to have treats* once in a while.

*- wuff!
  • Kelin
    Kelin Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When I hit a 5 week plateau last month I had 3 high calorie days over thanksgiving and then dropped it back down low for a week and finally had a good loss.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    You want unscientific? Read the majority of the topics in the forums.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    The best "trick" I have learned is to keep changing and don't try to figure it out.

It's not simple calories in vs calories out because one high calorie day can cause a loss and drinking a zero calorie Diet Pepsi can cause a 2 lb gain in water retention.

I work out every day more for my mental health than physical health.

A good, hard weight training session that leaves you sore will also give you with a short term gain on the scale because sore muscles also retain water.

Water, water, water!!

And lastly, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. When a loss happens even after you have been eating terriblely, just take it and be thankful.

:huh:

Are you trying to lose water or trying to lose fat? Because if you're trying to lose fat, then it's completely calories in vs. calories out.
    That's not true!

liposuction.jpg

Touche!
  • septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    When I start craving food I really can't fit into my diet, I remind myself that brownies, potato chips, and Heath bars will all still exist after I've reached my goal. Usually that's enough to take my mind off it.

I find it easiest to just not start with starchy/sugary snacks -- if I eat one small cookie, I want a second one and then a third. If I don't eat the cookie at all, I don't miss it. If I'm genuinely hungry, I try to go for something like string cheese or a few nuts because those calories keep me going longer.

I don't do fake food, with very few exceptions. The Hungry Girl school of cooking where you use fat-free, sugar-free versions of everything? Not only does it taste terrible, but I think the chemicals in that stuff are probably worse for me than a small portion of the real thing would be.

And I eat an apple almost every day, 'cause they are portable, sweet, healthy, cheap, and keep forever. Basically they're a perfect snack.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • esmaythemermaid
    esmaythemermaid Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Having a pedometer has helped immensely with keeping me motivated to constantly be moving around and be as active as I can be throughout the day (luckily, I have a job that also require me to be on my feet all day). Drinking lots of water and practicing clean eating and yoga has also helped with a steady weight loss.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    When you stopped exercising you probably lost muscle and did not retain as much water. Numbers on a scale are not everything.
  • datoyota
    datoyota Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Change it up - don't eat the same food more than 2x in a week.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Something I've started doing, is I shoot to "burn off" at LEAST my breakfast calories, in the gym, every day ;)

Breakfast and lunch are typically my heaviest meals, and I work out in the evening, and after my workout about 9-11 p.m. that's when I'll have my last "meal" of the day, typically a protein shake of some sort, with vegetables, some grapes, etc.......

Trhat, and water water water! I aim for HALF my current body weight, in fluid ounces, per day ;) It sounds like a lot, but think of it as a couple of those protein "shaker cups".......or a couple big gulps (minus the fountain drink contents)....or whatever you use to drink water ;)
  • Artionis
    Artionis Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    and sacrificing a goat.
    [/quote]

So that's where my goat went.....did you at least make goat burgers?
  • KTPott33
    KTPott33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have to agree, if only because I find myself paying more attention to what my scale says than what my mirror does, especially when working out!
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread. I would love to know what helped other people. Obviously it is the whole calorie in vs calorie out, but what made it work for you?

for me - getting a fit bit has helped immensely. I am a geek and seeing the numbers helps motivate me.
    next is doing 5:2, It causes me to vary my calories everyday, keep from getting bored and being able to stick to my calories in.

Lastly - logging EVERYTHING in MFP, now I make more educated choices about the food I eat.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Carb cycling.