Supersized vs. Superskinny

Options

Replies

• Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    This show is great, and so prolific. I started it at the beginning of my weight loss journey and I can't believe I'm up to Season 7. It's got lots of great information about nutrition. The British perspective, the science, and the reality TV angle is really compelling.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    There's another show called Secret Eaters, but it's not as good as Superskinny V Supersize. But in that programme I mentally calculate all the calories they clock up through the day and start yelling at the TV.. "How can you not know why you're putting on weight!!!!"
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    The shocking thing about secret eaters is that they seriously don't realise they bought take a way!- I completely get the eating stuff whilst you cook, the extra biscuit, the surprising amount of calories in cheese, sauces etc but how can you not notice you bought a take a way?

Another fan of all that is diet related tv fodder, was so addicted to gillians you are what you eat, even bought the books (hangs head in shame), I know fat families is staged but I still love it, it's his sayings, come on fatties etc,
  • nicxox
    nicxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i'm still stuck on the pie sandwich..

is it literally two pies as bread and then something in between ... or a slice of pie between bread??

It was a massive bread roll with a pie inside lol

I remember this....grotesque haha

Don't knock it till ya try it! Pie barms are a gift from the gods!

I love these shows but often wonder how many people stick to the lifestyle changes after? I went to college with a girl who appeared on You Are What You Eat, she lost a fair amount of weight, but the day after her episode aired she was back in the college bar knocking back pints like she'd never drank before!
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm ashamed to admit I've watched each episode of this show. I feel guilty because at times, it has some "freakshow" element. Still I do find it very interesting, and I'm always surprised by how honest most participants are about their habits.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i love supersize vs superskinny, the food tube was the best part!

i cant watch secret eaters, it just makes me too mad...

Jessie Pavelka... :love:
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    I watch that show when its on. The best one you want to search for is Secret Eaters. You wont find a better eye opener than that!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,453 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I love all these shows. But they do seem to (mostly) show extremes. They're not much help for those of us who got fat eating healthy food in reasonable portions ... so I know I'm watching them out of morbid fascination, rather than learning from them! I agree with the poster above that it's easy to miss or underestimate the calories in some things, but I bet there's not many people who could regularly eat a takeaway whilst supposedly dieting and not even remember that they'd eaten it! And I don't know anybody who has fry-ups for breakfasts, etc. I mean I'm sure SOME people do! But I feel that the programmes particularly pick participants who have more exaggerated eating styles, so that they can show more dramatic changes.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    In the way that ' Hoarders' and such makes me get up and clean, these 'Supersize v Superskinny " make me consider my choices a little more carefully.
    ' Embarrassing Bodies' makes me cringe though!!
  • luca15306
    luca15306 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I love all of these Tv shows! Secret eaters, supersize superskinny, fat families, biggest loser, and some US ones called I used to be fat and bulging brides.
    I think its mostly down to laziness and education about portions and calories, people just dont seem to be aware til they are told, all good shows though, everyone can learn something!
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It is a brilliant program, I agree about being unhappy they got rid of the food tube abd shortened the candidates stay from 7 day to 3 days....

xXx
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to these shows. I think I've watched them all, and Fat Doctor, and My 600 Pound Life, and Secret Eaters, and pretty much everything else I can find, up to and including lectures for medical students. Those last ones are always fun, because at some point I'm listening and going, why does this woman suddenly sound like Charlie Brown's teacher? Wah wah wah translypase inhibitor of the whatchamacallit process in that organ I never heard of before wah wah wah.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Haha glad its not just me that likes them!

I'd never even heard of a pie sandwich before lol surely you know you're over-eating if you have pie sandwiches?!
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Love this show. I'm in the US and I somehow stumbled on it. I didn't know there were so many seasons! I know what I will be watching tonight!
  • thom2369
    thom2369 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Haha glad its not just me that likes them!

I'd never even heard of a pie sandwich before lol surely you know you're over-eating if you have pie sandwiches?!

Me too..glad I am not the only one with the morbid fascination. It is just outright shocking but addicting too. The people that are so heavy and the disease that they submit themselves to.
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I love it too!

I also recommend the BBC documentary Why are Thin People Not Fat. It's also on Youtube.
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Just found this show on YouTube...wish it was on hulu. I watched about 5 episodes at it was really an eye opener in how much I see some of my own behavior in those people. When I dont care about my eating... I wouldnt say that I eat all day or anything, but I make very very poor food choices, whole bag of chips and dip for dinner... or a triple dipper from chili's. I found myself thinking if I were to give my meals to another person to eat, would they be proper meals.. um no. Then on the flip side, when I diet I calorie restrict the extreme because sometimes I get to overwhelmed on trying to find the proper foods and enough of the proper foods to make my tdee which then depresses me. Then I typically switch from water to diet soda to help stop the hunger pains. I see the superskinny folks do the same and I think again... could I ever ask another person to eat or drink what I do during those weeks of calorie restricting and again um.. no. I really enjoy the show, does anyone know are they still producing it? I haven't watched secret eaters yet, but may give it ago.
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    holy cow! 20 min and i'm already addicted! guess it'll make the treadmill more entertaining!:laugh:
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Just found this show on YouTube...wish it was on hulu. I watched about 5 episodes at it was really an eye opener in how much I see some of my own behavior in those people. When I dont care about my eating... I wouldnt say that I eat all day or anything, but I make very very poor food choices, whole bag of chips and dip for dinner... or a triple dipper from chili's. I found myself thinking if I were to give my meals to another person to eat, would they be proper meals.. um no. Then on the flip side, when I diet I calorie restrict the extreme because sometimes I get to overwhelmed on trying to find the proper foods and enough of the proper foods to make my tdee which then depresses me. Then I typically switch from water to diet soda to help stop the hunger pains. I see the superskinny folks do the same and I think again... could I ever ask another person to eat or drink what I do during those weeks of calorie restricting and again um.. no. I really enjoy the show, does anyone know are they still producing it? I haven't watched secret eaters yet, but may give it ago.

I'm pretty sure they're still making this show. Hopefully a new series soon!
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I think it would be good to do it in real life, swap diets with someone