How do you prepare avocado

Options
Just looking for some interesting ways to add avocado into my meals. How do you prepare avocado

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    You can make guac with it, but honestly I just eat it raw. Make a few incisions in the skin and then peel the skin off by hand, cut the avocado in half and the seed will stick into one half, then use a chef's knife to get the seed out (just hit it with a heavy chef's knife and twist), slice and enjoy.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I just eat it plain too. It is good on a turkey sandwich or blt though.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I use a sharp knife and go all the way around (oblong). Then twist and do the seed removal like mentioned. Sometimes I just sprinkle on salt and pepper and maybe a squeeze of lime and eat it that way. YUM. You can chop it and put it in wraps or on sandwiches or even in salads. You can mash it and use it like a spread (great on a turkey sandwich with bacon!) or a dip (guac). Guac is great because you can add nothing or everything! I like tomatoes (roma) and onions with some garlic powder and some lime juice and break out the tortilla chips! You can also use it as a sub in baking for oil. Pinterest has some interesting ideas... one is an egg cooked in the hole where the seed was. Haven't tried that, but it's an option! LOL
  • Adpalangi
    Adpalangi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all. I do like it fresh and alone, but was thinking there had to be other ways. I like the turkey idea, and am going to try that for lunch tomorrow. Thanks again
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    -on a sandwich
    - scoop out the avocado half and leave it intact. in the center put in a fried egg
    - same as above but put in tuna salad
    - they are good in smoothies

but i pretty much eat mine on their own with a spoon as a part of a work/desk friendly breakfast
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I slice it and put it on salad, burgers, sandwiches or wraps. I also love guacamole. Oh and it's great in chicken soup-- just add it right before serving after you've already taken the soup off the heat.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I put it in a brown paper bag to ripen it.

Then I cut into it with a sharp knife to the pit, swivel it, take the knife out and twist the two halves.

Pick up the knife and drop it onto the pit, twist the half and the pit should come out.

Put full fat aioli where pit was and get a teaspoon!

Otherwise, get a tablespoon to scoop out all the flesh and put that with bacon, salad, burgers or more aioli. :wink:
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Sliced with salt and habanero sauce, topped with a couple poached eggs....
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    I sit it down at the kitchen table and say "Your mom and I have something we need to tell you. You were adopted, and you're not human. In fact, you're a delicious fruit, and we're going to eat you".

Works every time.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Slice and put it on a BLT.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I sit it down at the kitchen table and say "Your mom and I have something we need to tell you. You were adopted, and you're not human. In fact, you're a wretched, wretched fruit, and we're going to eat you".

Works every time.
    FIFY
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Tag so I can find this later!
  • sabineliebling
    Options
    With hummus and a spoon.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    A restaurant I used to frequent had an amazing appetizer that was avocado slices with shrimp drizzled in some sort of sweet/spicy sauce (I would guess mango habenero or similar). The restaurant is gone now but I will often prepare my avocado with a mango chutney if I can find a really good flavorful chutney (difficult in the states some times).
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Good bread, toasted (some amazing whole-grain wheat or some homemade sourdough)
    Slice avocado, then mash it on top of the bread - use at least a quarter avo for each slice of bread, more if you want!
    Salt and pepper on top of the avocado
    Add a poached egg on top of that

Eat with a knife and fork... it's an AMAZING breakfast, I often do 2 slices/eggs, which fills me up for quite awhile.
  • bamboo_g
    bamboo_g Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cut up and mix with cut up tomatoes, hearts of palm, a little salt, lemon juice, and a bit of olive oil. YUM!
  • chench53
    chench53 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I saw a recipe that used avacado instead of mayonaise to make tuna salad, you can do the same with chicken salad. I tried it with chicken, it was very good!

If it's nice and ripe, it's softer, you can use it as a spread on a sandwich, or just slice it and add in that way.

I also toss it in salads, very yummy!

Enjoy!! :smile:

Gerry
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    ^. This

I eat an avacado a day. 1/2 at lunch and 1/2 at dinner. Sometimes they get more ripe then I like to eat just plain or in my salad

One of my favorittes for a very ripe soft avacado use it instead of mayo. I cut a cooked chicken breast up into small cubes, then smash in the avacado for a delicious chicken salad mix.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    On sandwiches, (Roast beef, turkey, BLT's, tuna), on hamburgers, in salads, in wraps. On anything! Avocados are right up there with peanut butter yumminess!