Everything Delicous Is Unhealthy

Options
I know that it sounds silly, but a big problem I have being on a diet is that i'm not enjoying what i'm eating. I know it's about the end result, I just don't know if I can make it a permanent change when I miss the 'yummy' food so much. I'm sure theres any easy solution :(

Replies

• legless11
    legless11 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What are you missing most?
  • RedHeadedBlueEyes
    Options
    I Love bread... I'm a big sandwich person
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Coriander and fresh chillis normally transform bland food for me with very little calories!.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options

Keep eating your sandwiches, just add sides of fruits and veggies. If it's hard to save calories, try eating the sandwiches open faced.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    So have bread. I have a slice of toast with a fried egg every single morning, because that's what I like and that's what works for me. Bread isn't "unhealthy," just calorically dense, which means you have to plan for it. That's all. Cutting out what you love all together is the fastest road to failure.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options

So have some, just make sure it's in moderation and it fits your macros. Perhaps instead of having a massive sandwich with normal bread, you could have some luxury flavoured bread and have less of it. :) that's what I've been doing with my fave foods, quality over quantity. Like chocolate, pre mfp I'd never have bought lindt chocolate as my go to chocolate cause of the expense. But now I eat so little of it it's a lot more affordable. I'd rather not waste my calories on an inferior chocolate lol.
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Why have you cut out bread altogether? You can find a way to fit it into you calorie allowance.
    I am eating less bread/pasta/bad carbs but still having it sometimes as otherwise I'll go crazy! There are some lower calories breads, at under 100 calories per slice, for example Nimble & Weight Watchers. You could easily fit in a sandwich with those!
  • legless11
    legless11 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

I feel your pain, I've had to cut out bread because I've got no willpower with it! This also means I've cut out butter too. I do make wholewheat chapatis and flatbreads sometimes which aren't quite so bad (because I only make enough for 1 serving rather than having a loaf to deal with). It has got easier and I don't crave it any more, something I never thought I'd say.
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    There is nothing healthy that you enjoy eating?? If so, that's definitely going to be a problem because you will eventually fail on the diet if you hate the food you are eating. It has to be a lifestyle change you can stick with.
  • Lose_It_Leo
    Lose_It_Leo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Try making your own breads. It's fun, burns calories and provides the type of flexibility you aren't likely to see in the shop (in terms of flavours AND calorie content). Suggested Ingredients to use:

- Quinoa flour (this is pricey but really bumps the protein content up so you won't want as much due to satiety),
    - Oat fibre and glucomannan: these are more like bulk ingredients that have next to no calories, fill you up and because of their high water absorption abilities, require very little in a recipe (I'm talking less than 30g for the oat fibre and no more than 6g for the glucomannan!! I kid you not).
    - Maybe try using buckwheat and rice flour too.
    - (And obviously the good old fashioned wholewheat flour... but as a coeliac I can't really comment on that as an ingredient).
    - Nut-based flours are becoming more popular now too (search Paleo pizzas)
    - Cailflower and potato pizza... seriously peep: it's like a cross between a pizza and hash brown!!!!!!

I suppose my key here, is high fibre, high protein. Yes, I know it requires playing around with ingredients and recipes but it's the best way to find a recipe that you like specifically and my god when you find it, you will be making them all the time!

Also, play around with vegetables. You can make a seriously amazing chocolate mouse with avocado and cocoa powder (raw type) - I know it sounds strange - I thought so too - but then I tried it and was blown away.

My only other advice to to generally cut down on your high sugar and salt content and get used to having less. Your taste buds will change and then foods naturally low is these things will taste all the nicer.

Anyway, I hope that helps.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I've just had a fruit and oat bagel with strawberry and Rhubarb Jam on. That was delicious.

You don't need to cut foods out to lose weight you just need to eat at a deficit and learn moderation. Depriving yourself of foods you like will more than likely lead you to binge on them and not keep any weight off. You need to learn to lose weight in a way you can live for the rest of your life not just a short term 'diet'

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • RedHeadedBlueEyes
    Options
    ok ok you see! this is the stuff I need! What's our take on mayo, I love it but I am well aware that I should def do without it.... but come on... a sandwich without mayo?? lol I have switched to light but im sure that's still not good. I was thinking of adding pickles, this way I don't think the sandwich is dry
  • RedHeadedBlueEyes
    Options
    Exactly! I don't want to lose control and have 5 sandwiches bc I haven't had one in 3 months lol
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I know that it sounds silly, but a big problem I have being on a diet is that i'm not enjoying what i'm eating. I know it's about the end result, I just don't know if I can make it a permanent change when I miss the 'yummy' food so much. I'm sure theres any easy solution :(

there is an easy solution... eat as many of the yummy things that will fit within your calorie and macro goals....
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    ok ok you see! this is the stuff I need! What's our take on mayo, I love it but I am well aware that I should def do without it.... but come on... a sandwich without mayo?? lol I have switched to light but im sure that's still not good. I was thinking of adding pickles, this way I don't think the sandwich is dry

Use one portion of the mayo you like, account for it, enjoy. If there's something you really want that day, a mayo for mustard swap could be one of the sacrifices you make for something you want more.
  • fe2o3girl
    Options
    Yes, you can eat mayo or light mayo. As long as you have logged it and it fits your daily targets, its not a problem.
  • RedHeadedBlueEyes
    Options
    lol ok ok got it. make sure it's logged.
  • Muffie22
    Muffie22 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with bread :). Every sandwich i do now i pad out with loads of veg and salad and stuff so i need to have less of the higher calorie fillings... so for example if i'm having tuna mayo I'll use less mayo, put some horseradish sauce in there and pad the rest out with tiny bits of chopped celery/red onion/tomatoes/whatever i have handy and actually think it tastes better that way, and more satisfying. If you're in the UK we have 'sandwich thins' which are like thinner ready pre-cut sandwiches that are only 100 calories. Dunno if there's a similar thing in other countries...
  • smetka01
    smetka01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I still eat bread, pasta, cookies, cake and ice cream. Only not as much as I used too and it fits in my calorie budget. It is easier to eat what ever you want to kill those cravings. This is the reason I am still sticking to my diet.
    Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You can eat bread.... and pasta..... and rice and other carbs.

I have not cut out ANY carbs at all - I just eat them in moderation rather than piggin out.... and I have lost nearly 5 stone and kept it off for a year....

Stop blaming the carbs, they are not the evil that so many say they are!