Everything Delicous Is Unhealthy

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I know that it sounds silly, but a big problem I have being on a diet is that i'm not enjoying what i'm eating. I know it's about the end result, I just don't know if I can make it a permanent change when I miss the 'yummy' food so much. I'm sure theres any easy solution :(

Actually, the only thing that I'd consider unhealthy is that attitude. It's just not mentally healthy. It's okay if you need to stay back from certain foods for awhile or if you find your tastes changing, but realize that it's the amount that makes things unhealthy, not the actual food.

Some additional reading that you might like aside from the ones posted a few above me.

http://body-improvements.com/2013/05/24/undiet-your-diet/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-myth-of-good-and-bad-foods-by-eric-helms-588801

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1380837-article-on-iifym-great-read
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ok ok you see! this is the stuff I need! What's our take on mayo, I love it but I am well aware that I should def do without it.... but come on... a sandwich without mayo?? lol I have switched to light but im sure that's still not good. I was thinking of adding pickles, this way I don't think the sandwich is dry

eat your mayo just fit it into your calories.

if you really want to be anal about it then make your own with egg yolks and olive oil and herbs and spices mixed together. there are recipes on the net.

i think you're mistaking healthy with low calorie which if that's the case then why not just drink water and eat ice since that's the "healthiest" thing? there is no such thing as a healthy or unhealthy food (unless you have diseases that are easily affected by what you eat like celiac's, diabetes, heart issues, etc) but a healthy diet includes all the macros, calories, nutrients and minerals that your body needs, it has nothing to do with being low calorie
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to research what really is "healthy food"? Newsflash, meat and fat are healthy foods. A typical meal for me is rare ribeye steak, mushrooms fried in butter and a big salad with avocado oil and vinegar. I LOVE the food I eat. But what I eat matters. I cannot moderate or be healthy when I eat wheat, sugar, or junk food so I don't eat them. Nope, I'm not deprived and it's not "hard" and I love my healthy foods. My diet is a majority of healthy fats and that is delicious, really.

Maybe work on your attitude as well? If you can "moderate" junk foods and still meet your goals, then do so. If not, find another solution but healthy food does NOT have to unenjoyable.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the thread, but hopefully echoing what others have said: eat a lifestyle, not a diet.

So eat the foods you love, eat so that you are getting in enough protein and fats and carbs, make sure you feel full, and keep within your caloric needs.

So basically, if you want to have an easy time keeping the weight off, keep eating how you are eating once you enter maintenance, but just eat a bit more. Otherwise, go back to eating what you love and just eat less of it.

I honestly think it's kind of pointless to label things as "healthy/unhealthy" because one person's opinion of healthy will differ from someone else's. Eat things that are nutritionally dense, eat lots of variety, eat food you love whether it's from a box/bag or from the earth or a tree.
  • Jayma375
    Jayma375 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have sandwiches for lunch several times a week and my go to bread is Trader Joe's - Multigrain Slim Sandwich Bread. Thomas's has a version as well that I buy when I can' t get to Trader Joe's
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Eat one sandwich a day, there's nothing wrong with that. I like small ciabatta's, whole weat or spelt buns. Pair it with something light: spinach, chickenbreast and cherry tomatoes. Or how about an egg or two (boiled or baked)? Don't binge on bread, but don't cut it out completely. I don't believe in eliminating a whole food group, just eat in moderation. And make sure to combine with lots of veggies and lean protein.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    eat what you like. just less of it.

also, the following things are how i make sure i love what i eat and thus can stick with this. i love food. i would not enjoy a life of deprivation. these things are full of flavor and good enough that when you eat a little you feel like you indulged.

prosciutto
    lox
    smoked mozarella
    good cheese (my favorites are dietz and watson moneterey jack blue cheese and trader joes unexpected cheddar)
    whipped cream cheese
    fresh fruit
    steamed snap peas and snow peas
    ranch dip made with daisy light sour cream
    pita bread (the pocket kind, not the flatbreads they call pitas which are high in cals)
    seeded baquettes
    pickles and capers
    pickled beets
    BLT sandwiches (made at home with 2 slices of bacon i can get them to 328 cals)
    turkey sandwiches with pickles
    home made croutons made with good bread (you can control the amount of fat)
    carrot juice
    pita chips
    rice crackers (trader joes savory mini thins!)
    home made or store bought sorbet
    ice cream bars or frozen yogurt bars
    frozen yogurt with a shot of espresso poured over it
    trader joes cold brew coffee concentrate
    trader joes brownie and oat bars
    big salads

i could keep going but i do NOT eat diet food. i eat food, and good food, and still lost 40 pounds so far and continue to lose.... just find your list and eat less of what you love, but eat it. and make it fit and exersize more if you want extra.

ps. i eat sandwiches almost every day. they are a perfect food that balances all the food groups if done right. cant beat that. i feel the same about pizza and make my own thin crusts...
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Enjoy anything in moderation. I refused to quit eating what I enjoy.

This!!! ^^^ x 1,000
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i eat sandwiches with the one light mayo i discovered hits the spot for me - i just eat about half the sandwich i used to eat. i also find that paying attention while i eat seems to make the eating more satisfying. i used to work when i'd eat, or read stuff or chat, and i didn't notice my food much. eating less, i find noticing and enjoying counts more, as it keeps me from continuing to eat.

and i make sure every meal or snack i eat is something i really love. that way i'm never deprived, even though i eat less at a time - what i do eat rocks.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess that you have a very narrow view of "healthy" and a general lack of nutritional knowledge.
  • 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    You should just eat rocks, then.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,914 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess that you have a very narrow view of "healthy" and a general lack of nutritional knowledge.
    You mean like Harvard.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I Love bread... I'm a big sandwich person

There's nothing unhealthy about a sandwich, unless you make it super big.
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind the changes you are making are LIFESTYLE changes. If you are NEVER going to eat bread again, then cut out bread. Why cut it out if that's what you enjoy? Moderation is key. This journey is really about MINDSET more than anything else.

Someone shared the message below with me and I want to pass it on to you.

If you want to lose weight permanently: You have live a healthy LIFESTYLE. Meaning, don't go on a diet. Don't start an exercise plan. You have to formulate a lifestyle with healthy eating and some activity that you know you can stick to for the rest of your life. Don't start something that you're going to stop doing a few weeks from now. Make small changes one or two at a time and then slowly add more new habits in over time - things you can do forever. That's the key to long term success without the yo-yo weight gains and losses.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You can enjoy healthy foods. After you've enjoyed real food for awhile the packaged stuff just tastes like salt and sugar.

Last night's supper was fines herbes chicken cooked with grapes, olive, potatoes, and mushrooms with a side green beans dressed with lemon-butter bread crumbs.

Breakfast today was shrimp and eggs.

The other night we had pork chops cooked in red pepper/butternut squash pasta sauce with an eggy-cheesy summer squash casserole on the side.

Another night recently, we had pasta with Italian sausage and broccoli with a big caesar salad with a dressing made using Hellman's Balsamic mayonnaise as the base.

These are all delicious and there's nothing wrong with them for weight loss as long as they fit my calorie goals.

It's all a case of picking and choosing what and how much to eat. There are no "forbidden" foods.
  • LosinMama66
    Options
    For one, THIS ISN'T A DIET!!!!! It's a LIFESTYLE CHANGE! You can't lose weight and go back to the way you were eating and expect to keep it off.

For another, HEALTHY FOOD CAN TASTE GOOD!!!!!

Boy are you so misguided...
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can eat mayo or light mayo. As long as you have logged it and it fits your daily targets, its not a problem.
    Not only you can - you should! Long term, the only winning strategy is to eat what satisfies you. You just have to limit the portions and possibly also eat other things that keep you from being hungry.

In my case, I only drink full milk. But, instead of 2 cups I usually only drink half a cup. It's just as good as 2 cups! I also make sure I eat 2-3 servings of vegetables with every meal. I do not really like vegetables, but this is what works for me, because it keep me full when the meal itself - without the vegetables - wouldn't.

It takes a long time to gradually discover what works for you, and to create a sense of balance, instead of a sense of feeling deprived.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    just had fresh broccoli and stilton soup.delicious.300g 180. cals.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    You can eat bread.... and pasta..... and rice and other carbs.

I have not cut out ANY carbs at all - I just eat them in moderation rather than piggin out.... and I have lost nearly 5 stone and kept it off for a year....

Stop blaming the carbs, they are not the evil that so many say they are!

Totally this ... the whole thing, is that YOU CAN eat whatever you like, as long as you keep things in realistic amounts.
  • Himejii
    Options
    Perfect example... eggs benedict is, like, my favourite breakfast. Before, I'd get it with hashbrowns on the side and hubby and I would share a short stack of pancakes. I obviously wasn't counting calories then, because that's pretty much my whole day's allowance right there. But just the other day I went to Smitty's and ordered my eggs benny with fruit on the side. Turns out I don't care all that much about the hash or flap jacks. I think it was something like 475 calories, which is still quite a bit for breakfast, but I was satiated. It wasn't until I made the pork back ribs that way that I blew everything out of the water, and honestly the ribs weren't even that good.

I find that since I started paying more attention, I need far less of my treat foods to be satisfied. I ate half an Aero one day, and the other half 4 days later. Each time my chocolate craving was completely satisfied. Probably could have done with 1/3 of it even.

A lot of people buy the "better" brands when they're eating less, so they also enjoy it much more. e.g. fine chocolate over cheap chocolate. Since you're eating small portions, the price isn't significant, but the taste is oh-so-much better. Likewise, buy your favourite bread, even if it's White Wonderbread, log it first (to make sure it fits), and then love every bite of it.

Also remember that it takes time to build habits. You can't flip a switch and have all these different food tastes overnight. If you're used to eating a big calorie surplus, it will probably take some time to get down to a reasonable intake. But that's better than crashing right off the bat, and giving up.