Should I eliminate grains?

Options
13»

Replies

• RAWR1202
    Options
    Grains always fill me up really quickly and keep me full for a long time afterwards. Far more than fruit or proteins do (although not as much as vegetables). But that's just me and probably to do with the fact I inherited my dad's 'never full unless I've eaten rice' gene or something.
    I would say just control your portion size around them and you'll be fine. Try to stick with wholegrains when possible but a bowl of white pasta or rice every now and then really won't kill you.
    Besides, since you're vegan, I would say they're important in terms of the types of proteins they provide.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Good evening!

This isn't really a question about eliminating food for weight loss, since it's all about calories in and calories out. But studies and books keep popping up about how bad grains are for you, how they are a product of an unnatural arigcultural environment and how they aren't digested that well by our stomachs and things like that.

I'm a vegan so I do eat grains from time to time. Mostly though, it's just 3/4 of a cup of brown rice and occasionally Skinnypop. I very rarely eat bread (it's been two months since the last time) and when I do it's Ezekiel bread. I'm wondering if I should stop eating grains all together, or reduce my amount of rice to 1/2 of a cup at the very least.

What is your stance on grains?

Grains don't really give you any micro nutrient benefit in comparison to the calorie cost, compared to other more nutritional sources, so cutting then back or out won't be negative to your health.

Best answer would be - try it for a month, do your own study of one (after all studies done on other people don't really impact you).

After a month if you feel better off without them then keep them cut. If you see no difference then re-introduce them.

Good luck!
  • abear007
    abear007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Lol. The fact that you ask me to provide you with evidence for something that is common knowledge is pretty funny.
    Since I don't believe it's the "common knowledge" you claim it to be, it hardly warrants a chuckle.
    Interesting article, though I couldn't figure out who the author was or what his/her creds were. At this point all that can be done is to add it to the ever increasing pile of "here's a study, there's a study, everywhere there's a study". In the end it didn't support the claim that chicken would spike insulin like sugar or refined flours which is what my comment was in reference to.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,895 Member
    Options
    Lol. The fact that you ask me to provide you with evidence for something that is common knowledge is pretty funny.
    Since I don't believe it's the "common knowledge" you claim it to be, it hardly warrants a chuckle.
    Interesting article, though I couldn't figure out who the author was or what his/her creds were. At this point all that can be done is to add it to the ever increasing pile of "here's a study, there's a study, everywhere there's a study". In the end it didn't support the claim that chicken would spike insulin like sugar or refined flours which is what my comment was in reference to.
    Well no, it's not common knowledge considering nutrition is pretty vast and complicated. It's only common knowledge for people that are well versed in nutrition as is author and the article. Considering this is a nutrition forum with many knowledgeable members, it's probably what was meant.
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    Disclaimer: I really don't know what on earth is the truth and I'm no expert. I haven't read those books, because it kind of seems faddish to me.

However, after watching my mom try various forms of the Atkins diet and some other low-carb diets, and talking to friends who have done the same, my impression seems to be that they all feel better when they cut back on grains... but only because they were eating far too many grains to begin with, and not good ones at that. I think that the average sedentary American eats way more carbs than their body actually needs, and thus can start feeling some of the symptoms I've heard associated with things like the Wheat Belly book. (Eat a giant bowl of spaghetti, and serve yourself up a second serving, and then go straight to bed... I bet you COULD feel bloated, and it most certainly could mess with your blood sugar, etc.)

But it doesn't sound like you're eating much in the grains dept to begin with, and it sounds like you're sticking to pretty healthy ones. In my experience, the people around me often feel a lot better when they cut back on carbs and try introducing more complex ones than white bread and white pasta... and mostly, the people I've heard this from are pretty sedentary people. They don't need much in the way of carbs, so of course they feel better when they eat more appropriately. If you're more active, you should eat more carbohydrates. And you should choose healthy ones, which it sounds like you are.

If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about it. It sounds so faddish to me, and it sounds like you already know how to listen to your body better than Wheat Belly's primary audience. But it couldn't hurt, if you are very careful to make sure you get the nutrients you need, to give it a try for a few weeks as some other users suggested, and see how you feel.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I have cut out all grains since I have gone Paleo and it has been really good for me! You'd be surprised how easy it is to get good carbs through vegetables and sweet potato.

Sweet potatoes aren't paleo.

Yes they are.

This thread needs a clean vs. paleo, "this or that isn't paleo/clean" cage match for ****s and giggles
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    nope, my diet is full of grains. I cant imagine a day without them. rice, oats,bread and tortillas everyday round here.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Interesting article, though I couldn't figure out who the author was or what his/her creds were.

Let me help you with that:

image.jpg

James Krieger is the founder of Weightology, LLC. He has a Master’s degree in Nutrition from the University of Florida and a second Master’s degree in Exercise Science from Washington State University. He is the former research director for a corporate weight management program that treated over 400 people per year, with an average weight loss of 40 pounds in 3 months. His former weight loss clients include the founder of Sylvan Learning Centers and The Little Gym, the vice president of Costco, and a former vice president of MSN. He has given over 75 lectures on weight loss-related topics to physicians, dietitians, and other professionals.

In addition to helping people achieve their weight loss goals, James is a published scientist and author. He has published weight loss and nutrition-related research in prestigious scientific journals, including the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and the Journal of Applied Physiology. James is the former editor for Journal of Pure Power, an online magazine which delivers scientific, but lay-friendly, information on training and nutrition to athletes and coaches. In fact, James has been involved in the health, nutrition, and fitness field for over 10 years, and has written over 250 articles on these topics. He is a strong believer in an evidence-based approach to health and well-being.

James is a licensed nutritionist with the state of Washington, a certified Health/Fitness Instructor with the American College of Sports Medicine, and a certified coach with Fowler Wainwright International. For more information on James’s background and experience, view his curriculum vita.
  • abear007
    Options
    Well no, it's not common knowledge considering nutrition is pretty vast and complicated.
    Yep, and subsequently inundated with conflicting "expert" opinions all claiming to have "studies" to support those opinions.
    It's only common knowledge for people that are well versed in nutrition as is author and the article. Considering this is a nutrition forum with many knowledgeable members, it's probably what was meant.
    Perhaps, but didn't lend much support to the specific claim of chicken spiking insulin like sugar or refined flours. I suppose it could if it was coated with thick bbq sauce or lots of breading though.
  • vismundcygnus27
    vismundcygnus27 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    That's **** .. unless there is some medical reason for you to not eat something, there is no such thing as bad food.

I expect soon to see a thread on here .. "Should I drink the water ?"

I own a vegetarian cafe and at one time I had a customer told me that if I really cared about my customers I would not sell water since it is bad for you. Real story.

I also had a couple come in and tell me that they were vegan, gluten free, oil free and soy free. They wanted to know what I could prepare for them to eat. They were very offended when I replied "lettuce"

Literally lol-ed. I'm surprised they don't get that answer more often.

OP - there's no need to cut out grains. Most of the literature claiming that grains are dangerous comes from proponents of the paleo diet. While cutting down on grains can be good for loosing weight since you're cutting out carbs, there's nothing inherently unhealthy about grains. Those claiming that grains are "unnatural" forget that humans have evolved alongside the food that we eat. Our bodies have adapted to grains the same way that they have adapted to consuming lactose (which, incidentally, is why so many of us Latinos are lactose-intolerant - we've only recently begun consuming milk products, whereas the Europeans have been doing it for thousands of years.

Plus, as a vegan, your diet is already quite restricted! Eat your grains - you need the protein!

(As a side note, I come from a Colombian family, and I've always wondered how people with highly restricted diets could survive in South America. I have a mental image of an American who, unwilling to eat meat or grains, is standing by the side of the road clutching a potato in one hand and a plantain in the other, sighing heavily.)
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Well no, it's not common knowledge considering nutrition is pretty vast and complicated.
    Yep, and subsequently inundated with conflicting "expert" opinions all claiming to have "studies" to support those opinions.
    It's only common knowledge for people that are well versed in nutrition as is author and the article. Considering this is a nutrition forum with many knowledgeable members, it's probably what was meant.
    Perhaps, but didn't lend much support to the specific claim of chicken spiking insulin like sugar or refined flours. I suppose it could if it was coated with thick bbq sauce or lots of breading though.
    Why not let people on these forums that don't understand, much like you did learn from your new found information and let everyone know how much chicken and other proteins effect insulin then......
  • nogreenthumb
    Options
    Do what you feel works. Sure, there's a ton of literature out there saying gluten free is good, gluten free is bad, grains are wonderful, grains are terrible, etc etc., but only you know what works (and what doesn't) work for you.

There are a lot of people that have foods that just don't agree with them for some reason or another. I know people that get sick when they eat pineapple. Is pineapple a horrible thing? No. It just doesn't work for them. If a thousand studies were to pop up on the internet tomorrow stating that pineapple is causing weight gain, I'm sure there would be more people willing to give it up for the sake of losing weight.

Having said that, if you feel grains are causing you discomfort in some form or another, I would suggest pinpointing what it is. Maybe it's not all grains in general, but overly processed breads and cereals? What about trying quinoa?
  • tcmurphy89
    tcmurphy89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any gluten sensitivities, grains aren't bad for your health. If you are looking to lose weight, restricting grains is helpful in a low carb diet. These diets stabilizes your insulin levels and keep sugar/starch cravings down, because it's not just calories in, calories out, it's biology. If your only concern is eliminating toxicity and unhealthy elements in your diet, start reading the nutrition facts on the back of your packaged foods and buying as many whole, real foods as you can. Educate yourself on what is really going into your food, and look at growing your own vegetables or spices if you can.
  • abear007
    Options
    Why not let people on these forums that don't understand, much like you did learn from your new found information and let everyone know how much chicken and other proteins effect insulin then......
    I don't understand what you're trying to say. There's tons of nutritional "information" out there, much of it conflicting and supported by "experts" and "studies". I'm all for people reading whatever they want and deciding what works best for them.

In fact, I advocate that most of all - a person should do what works for them, that makes them healthy and that they can stick with long term.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

I also had a couple come in and tell me that they were vegan, gluten free, oil free and soy free. They wanted to know what I could prepare for them to eat. They were very offended when I replied "lettuce"

:laugh:
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I don't understand what you're trying to say. There's tons of nutritional "information" out there, much of it conflicting and supported by "experts" and "studies". I'm all for people reading whatever they want and deciding what works best for them.

In fact, I advocate that most of all - a person should do what works for them, that makes them healthy and that they can stick with long term.
    What I'm saying is that it is common knowledge within the nutritional field that protein elicits an insulin response. This is really nutrition 101and continuing to argue over this simple biological fact doesn't really do you any real service, other than to continue to be uninformed and seemingly comfortable doing so. Do some research and join the conversation.
  • abear007
    Options
    What I'm saying is that it is common knowledge within the nutritional field that protein elicits an insulin response. This is really nutrition 101and continuing to argue over this simple biological fact doesn't really do you any real service, other than to continue to be uninformed and seemingly comfortable doing so.
    Well then it's a good thing I never claimed protein didn't elicit an insulin response, nor have I continued to "argue" over it, but since you seem comfortable pretending I did, I'll leave that to you.

The point I was actually questioning, rather than the one you've just made up, is whether chicken causes the same insulin spike as simple carbs like sugar and refined flour. I'm still waiting on the evidence for that.
    Do some research and join the conversation.
    Please be sure you know what the conversation is and by all means do likewise.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    How do I feel about grains? Grains are tasty and the ones you like are full of nutrition. I do know people who felt better after going grain-free, but they either had an actual diagnosed gluten sensitivity or were eating a lot of grain-based, sugary junk food and didn't substitute some other form of not-so-great treats for it when they went grain-free.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    What I'm saying is that it is common knowledge within the nutritional field that protein elicits an insulin response. This is really nutrition 101and continuing to argue over this simple biological fact doesn't really do you any real service, other than to continue to be uninformed and seemingly comfortable doing so.
    Well then it's a good thing I never claimed protein didn't elicit an insulin response, nor have I continued to "argue" over it, but since you seem comfortable pretending I did, I'll leave that to you.

The point I was actually questioning, rather than the one you've just made up, is whether chicken causes the same insulin spike as simple carbs like sugar and refined flour. I'm still waiting on the evidence for that.
    Do some research and join the conversation.
    Please be sure you know what the conversation is and by all means do likewise.
    lol...........I love this place.