Would you date someone that has no job

Options

Replies

• spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I would if they were actively looking for a job at the time. It really depends on the situation, how they handle it and their personality/looks, etc.
  • mazh4r
    Options
    I'm a mad scientist building a time machine in my parents basement...does that count as unemployed?

(in all seriousness, if they're in between jobs it would be fine. in fact I had a friend who became more determined to find one when he met someone online. id more weary about the ones who've been through 10 jobs in 2 years, it may show a correlation in personality.)
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Layoffs and downsizing are pretty common, and many competent people get pink slips.

Food for thought.....
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I would date her yes. Long term relationship, no.
  • whitehorse67
    whitehorse67 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    With soooo many unemployed folks in this Country...if you called that a deal breaker, your dating pool would be nearly empty!...Now, with that said, if they are a lazy bumb and prefer to live off taxpayers with no ambition to try and find work....then no...
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Unemployed, actively looking, with prospects of getting a job in the short term? Yeah, probably.

Willfully and ongoing unemployed? Nope.

I dated a guy for a short time who was unemployed. I broke it off when I found out he was so determined to remain unemployed that he had researched and then faked a mental illness in order to obtain a disability pension so that he wouldn't have to look for work. Deliberate drain on society. The arrogance that requires is immense.

That's why I am unsure to start a relationship with someone that's jobless .If I was already in a relationship and they lose their job and they are actively looking then that's a different story
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    In addition to what was mentioned above:

1. Is that person independently wealthy? Ok
    2. Is that person currently working towards becoming gainfully employed? Ok
    3. Is that person a leach? HELLZ NOOOOO!!!!

Perfectly said :)
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    No I would not.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    yes absolutely, I could have a homemade breakfast and dinner cooked for me everyday. Clothes taken to dry cleaner. cupcakes in the oven waiting for me. /dreaming

:love: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    When I met my husband he was unemployed. Of course he was recently out of school and was banking on joining the navy, then at the last minute they decided he couldn't join due to acid reflux, so it wasn't really by his choice and not for bad reasons. He was then working on graduate school applications and has been TA-ing for the past 4 years while being a full time student. So obviously yes, I would date someone who is unemployed, unless if is just because they are lazy, that doesn't fly with me.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I'm a mad scientist building a time machine in my parents basement...does that count as unemployed?

No, that counts as marriage material. If you succeed, we'd be incredibly wealthy! If you fail, we can use your lab to make meth and get rich just like Walter White.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I would date her yes. Long term relationship, no.

This. But, you know, male.

They would need to be epic for me to consider a long term relationship.
  • RegularOats
    Options
    In my current situation, yes as I am a full-time university student and so is he.
    He does not have a job nor is interested in looking for one and I do not mind paying for meals and activities we share together
  • shankasaurus
    shankasaurus Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Every situation is different. But ultimately I want to be with someone who has passion, a passion for life, for work, a passion to be the best person they can be. Just because a person has a job and can pay bills doesn't mean they have passion. And vice versa.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Yes... So long as she wasn't planning on making the no job thing permanent... everyone hits hard times.. nobody should be counted out for that by anyone but I work HARD and I'd like to be with someone that has a work ethic too :)
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Every situation is different. But ultimately I want to be with someone who has passion, a passion for life, for work, a passion to be the best person they can be. Just because a person has a job and can pay bills doesn't mean they have passion. And vice versa.

Well said.
  • JT_Taylor99
    Options
    I think if someone has a long history of gainful employment and finds themselves temporarily "between jobs," it wouldn't be an issue. If the person were chronically unemployed, not motivated to find work, and living in their mother's basement, it would be more of a problem.

+1
  • mrfreestyle
    mrfreestyle Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    It definitely depends on the circumstances. I'm currently unemployed myself but that's because I'm a full time Masters student and it would have been extremely difficult for me to juggle my very hectic studies and work. I most certainly intend to get back into the job market once my studies are completed which should be early next year or middle of next year.

I would definitely understand if a woman wouldn't want to date me due to my current circumstances. I would personally date a woman who's unemployed provided she's in a situation to mine and intends on getting once she is past that situation.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    yes absolutely, I could have a homemade breakfast and dinner cooked for me everyday. Clothes taken to dry cleaner. cupcakes in the oven waiting for me. /dreaming

I'd really like to say that I do this for DH, but that would mostly be a lie. He's too picky about the dry cleaner used, and I'd eat all the cupcakes.

I'm intentionally unemployed too. Though I'm a SAHM, and I *do* cook 5 or 6 days out of the week. I mostly mastered eggs benedict just in time to start eating healthy too. :laugh: