Anyone else fear running outdoors?

Options

Replies

• kitsune1989
    kitsune1989 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Honestly I've gotten jeers, car horns, and odd stares. However it doesnt bother me as much as I thought it would when I first started. I also live in a neighborhood that would not be described as the pinnacle of high society though. Who really cares what they think? I am doing something I enjoy and its good for me.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner or jogger but a power walker and I was scared to death to be seen and judged. I also had to get my workout in before my grandson was dropped off for the day. I started walking at 5 am in my neighborhood. I am not afraid of the dark and the peacefulness of walking in the moonlight and then witnessing the sunrise was amazing. The funny thing was there were two other individuals older than me out there exercising too. I now prefer to go to the park and usually get there at the break of dawn and power walk for 1.5-2 hours. At first I was embarrassed but I just channel Phoebe from Friends( episode where she takes up running and flailing her arms) and I do not care what any one thinks. I am there to workout. My advice is to just do it..no regrets.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Outdoor is the way to run/jog/walk so much more fun than a treadmill

29509743.png
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I recommend you try to get over it.

Very few people will judge you. Most of the people who will see you are not runners. Your neighbors will mostly either not care or admire your efforts as they sit on their couch or front porch.

^ This. You will be surprised at how many people don't even notice.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Whenever I see people out running (no matter how heavy, or how slow, or how huffy and puffy they are), I always think "Woo hoo, a friend!!" and seriously consider stopping to high five them. When I first started running, I could only run for 1 minute at a time, then stop to walk. Everyone starts somewhere!!

Take a deep breath and go for it, you won't be sorry.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I really want to start jogging, but self conscious kills it the moment I consider it. I've been doing calorie programs on my elliptical and have been keeping up with the rpm at each intensity level but I really think jogging outdoors in the mornings would be fun.

If you ever felt this way, how did you overcome it? I would be going around neighborhoods and I think the part that hangs me up is knowing I'm going to suck at it, and people seeing me sucking air and nearly dying on their sidewalk.

I have a hard time running indoors... outside there is so much to see :) It keeps me much more entertained while running. I tend to push myself pretty hard on runs, especially towards the end. Plenty of people may have seen me huffing and puffing, but I doubt they really paid any attention or really cared. Plus, these are people you may never see again in your whole life. I think most people are primarily concerned about themselves. I wear my headphones, focus on my run, and couldn't care less what others think of me!
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Outside is sooo much fun. I would never run if I were limited to a treadmill or elliptical.

I am the most ungraceful runner ever. Don't be afraid of looking silly. I know I look silly, but I keep at it. Good luck to you!!! :heart:

phoebe-running-friends-o.gif
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way when I first started, but you know what, people are going to think what they are going to think anyway. You just have to head out the door and know that you are doing this to better yourself and in the grand scheme of things most people really don't pay any attention to people running by and the ones that would be willing to judge are few and far between and not worth wasting your worry over because you probably won't see them again anyway. So just hold your head up high, acknowledge the fact that you are doing this for you and that it will improve your health, and know that you can do this and conquer it. Best of luck to you, and you can do this!
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Also, maybe go when there would be less people to see you, if you're uncomfortable. I normally run after my kids go to bed so its 8-9pm and the roads are pretty empty as far as pedestrians.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Everybody sucks air. My face gets blood red, thanks to my pale complexion. Still beats running on a treadmill.

I just moved to a new place a few months ago and was stopped at the corner and forced to turn around by a pitbull mix. Twice. And it happened to my husband too. Apparently he's always there. I am much more terrified of dogs. I stopped running outside, and I hate treadmills. I think I need a stun gun before I attempt running again.
    I really want to start jogging, but self conscious kills it the moment I consider it. I've been doing calorie programs on my elliptical and have been keeping up with the rpm at each intensity level but I really think jogging outdoors in the mornings would be fun.

If you ever felt this way, how did you overcome it? I would be going around neighborhoods and I think the part that hangs me up is knowing I'm going to suck at it, and people seeing me sucking air and nearly dying on their sidewalk.
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I don't feel this way anymore but when I was first starting to get back into running and felt self conscious, I got up early and went when it was still dark. I don't know if this is an option for you but I found there were still a few people around - I run on mostly main roads, and would see the same people opening cafe's and of course some other runners, it was a nice manageable "small version of the world", after a while I gained more confidence and felt better about myself to the point that now I don't give it a moment's thought and will happily run at any time of the day if I want to. That said, I do still prefer mornings, even thoughI'm a night person, it is a wonderful way to start the day!

Good luck to you
  • Katie5961
    Katie5961 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

I remind myself that I'm lapping everybody who's sitting on the couch. I sucked at first, in fact I still do often ( asthma is the devil ) but every time you go out you will get stronger. The only way to get past the self-conscious is to just do it and let the haters hate. Most people will applaud you for getting up and moving. I know I would!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I was running on a treadmill, even did 2 5k's in 2 weeks at the gym. It was enjoyable, and I did not feel that much pain from doing it.

The other day, I tried running outside with my dog. All I could feel was hard pounding through out my entire body, and tension in my head. Now I have shinsplints.

I will stick to the treadmill. Running is not that important to me.

improper running technique- and over doing it. Has nothing to do with running outside.

Try again- without the dog- and slow down- go for less time/miles.

OP- have you every people watched?

Most people have their heads stuck so far up their butts via their smart phones they probably are more likely to hit you than notice you- honestly.

Either someone is going to point and laugh (possible) or more likely ignore you (more likely) either way- it doesn't affect you- just keep running. They don't mean anything to you- what so ever- you don't know them- it's fine.

Just go running.
    put your shoes on.
    walk out the door.
    and go run.
  • c0nundrum
    c0nundrum Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I felt self conscious the first couple of times I jogged home, and just to make it worse I am currently living in Singapore where everyone else in the country is thinner than a rake.

I was worried about a couple of things, how I would look running was one, but higher up on the list was that anyone paying attention would see pretty quick that I couldn't run or jog for very long before i had to start walking to catch my breath.

I was running for anywhere between 30 seconds and a couple of minutes but sure enough I'd have started and stopped more times than I could count before I reached my front door.

I learned three things.

1) No matter how awkward I felt, no one paid me much attention. I liked this at the start but when people were so oblivious that they would walk right in my running path I've started wishing people would pay more attention!

2) Heart rate monitors are worth their weight in gold. Doesn't need all the bells and whistles... but I am really glad mine does.

3) Running or jogging as slow as I possibly could to begin with was the best thing I did. Going slower definitely felt less awkward but what it did was allow me to really quickly start building up from those 30 second bursts to a 30-40 minute trip home without having to slow to a walking pace.

All the posts on here will either tip you over the edge and convince you that there is really nothing to worry about, or they won't. As with everything else people go through as they start on the path to getting healthier, everyone has those moments where they realise they feel better about themselves, maybe you are at the point where you will feel comfortable when you go jogging.. or you might hate it for all the reasons you think you will. I don't think the latter will happen though!

Best way to find out is to go and try it for yourself. Pick somewhere you feel safe, maybe pick a time when there will be less people around and try it out. If you don't hate it, do it again! If you don't think its for you, the elliptical isn't going anywhere, and you have other options! Jump on a treadmill, start with a brisk walk in the mornings... either way, indoors or outdoors, you are lapping everyone that is just sitting on the couch.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    EVERYONE had to start somewhere. No-one just got into a lycra onsie and did brilliantly at running in public.

Don't give a hoot what anyone thinks. Only you can determine how people make you feel. Once you get out there and do it, trust me, the feeling you'll have most is how proud you'll be of yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    As a runner, I think 1 of 2 things when I see a runner, no matter how fast or slow:

1. Woohoo! Way to go! (I have been known to yell that out the window)
    2. I wish I was running instead of driving.
  • Mohana94
    Options
    I felt self conscious the first couple of times I jogged home, and just to make it worse I am currently living in Singapore where everyone else in the country is thinner than a rake.

Best way to find out is to go and try it for yourself. Pick somewhere you feel safe, maybe pick a time when there will be less people around and try it out. If you don't hate it, do it again! If you don't think its for you, the elliptical isn't going anywhere, and you have other options! Jump on a treadmill, start with a brisk walk in the mornings... either way, indoors or outdoors, you are lapping everyone that is just sitting on the couch.

Truer words have never been spoken. I always feel like I'm the only one who needs to lose weight here. A+ advice too :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    .... and I did not feel that much pain from doing it.

Which suggests that you feel some pain, which suggests either that your form is an issue or your shoes are lifed out.
    All I could feel was hard pounding through out my entire body, and tension in my head. Now I have shinsplints.

Which suggests that your form could do with improvement, supported by feeling tension, or that you have a muscle imbalance exacerbated by using a dreadmill, or your shoes are worn out, or that you tried too much too soon.

A dreadmill is a different experience, and changing the mode of running does need time. I wouldn't run anything like the same distances I do on the trail either on the road or on a dreadmill (the latter largely as a result of boredom)
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    The first time I ever went for a run, I waited until it was dark out, put on dark clothes, carried a flashlight, and ran down our driveway. No one could see me. I didn't want them to see my fat jiggling everywhere and how hard I was breathing and how far I couldn't run. I only made it 300 feet, and then had to turn and walk back to our house, crying. The next night, I went out and did it again. For a couple weeks I would only run at night on our private lane. And then, I started getting a little bit better at it, and I stopped caring so much.

Now, I run half marathons with thousands of other people. I'm still overweight. I could not even begin to care. I'll pull on running tights just like the thin runners do. I don't care if my butt jiggles still. I don't care that my sports bra gives me a little armpit boob. I run. And I realized how little I notice what other runners look like. I think it's AWESOME when I see someone who is clearly just starting out. It reminds me of how far I've come, and I wish them all the good in the world as they try every day to make it a little further, a little faster.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Beating a dead horse... but, really, everyone has to start someone.
    I started running when I was overweight in very crowded areas. I'm sure I was self conscious at times. I didn't wear cool running gear and I had to take lots of breaks.
    Now, I wear more appropriate running clothes and have run half marathons and now usually push a 100+ lb double jogging stroller. I love how strong I am now but it doesn't happen overnight. And maybe that small, fit runner you see out there wasn't always like that.