Age is nothing but a number

Options

Replies

• jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I find that everyone who says age is nothing but a number is trying too hard to justify their relationship or their standards.

Age is a number, yes, but if a 21 year old male tried to date my 14 year old daughter, he's gonna have a bad time.

ski-south-park.jpg
    I'll leave him a set of instructions
    \m/
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I find that everyone who says age is nothing but a number is trying too hard to justify their relationship or their standards.

Age is a number, yes, but if a 21 year old male tried to date my 14 year old daughter, he's gonna have a bad time.

What about when she is 21 and he is 28?

Its not so much the age as it is one is an adult and one is a child. For adults, age does not matter. IMHO.
  • Siigh_duck
    Siigh_duck Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Given mortality tables and other statistically significant negative factors tied to aging, I would say that reading your statement broadly, age is more than just a number. On the other hand, reading your statement, "age is nothing but a number" on it's face, while tautological, it is in fact true. So, this question suffers from the problem of equivocation. Please clarify.
    Oa0dkP9.gif

:laugh:
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

What about when she is 21 and he is 28?

Its not so much the age as it is one is an adult and one is a child. For adults, age does not matter. IMHO.

Apples to oranges. If she's 21 and he's 28, fine. They're both consenting adults.
  • KatieLouWho19
    KatieLouWho19 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Given mortality tables and other statistically significant negative factors tied to aging, I would say that reading your statement broadly, age is more than just a number. On the other hand, reading your statement, "age is nothing but a number" on it's face, while tautological, it is in fact true. So, this question suffers from the problem of equivocation. Please clarify.
    Oa0dkP9.gif

:laugh:

:laugh: :grumble: :tongue:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I understand that OP. I see you're getting some negative responses which I find a bit surprising honestly. I've always been similar.

Especially when I was young (like early 20's) I was intimidated a bit by older guys who were even just 4-5 years older. I dated some but found they usually made a big deal about the age difference and spoke to me in a condescending way so that I always felt the need to kind of compete/prove myself to them. I didn't like that at all. Then again I've met guys my own age who did that too.

The vast majority of guys I have dated and had relationships with were within 2-3 years of my own age (older or younger). I've been married twice. My ex husband was about 3 years younger, and my husband now is 5 years younger than I am. There are absolutely no issues with the age difference.

The last time I was single, at 35, for dating sites I believe that I chose an age range of 25-45. For the most part though, I didn't click with any guys over 37 and just found fun activities and friendship with the guys under 30. So for me a small age range seems best.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Well when you are 58 years old, you come back here and tell us if age is still important to you. If you have kept the idea that you can only date a range of men, who at that time will be 56 to 64 years old. Or if you suddenly find it okay to date younger men...

Seriously, IMO, the fact that age does matter to you is telling of your current maturity level. But that just my opinion.
  • KatieLouWho19
    Options
    I understand that OP. I see you're getting some negative responses which I find a bit surprising honestly. I've always been similar.

Especially when I was young (like early 20's) I was intimidated a bit by older guys who were even just 4-5 years older. I dated some but found they usually made a big deal about the age difference and spoke to me in a condescending way so that I always felt the need to kind of compete/prove myself to them. I didn't like that at all. Then again I've met guys my own age who did that too.

The vast majority of guys I have dated and had relationships with were within 2-3 years of my own age (older or younger). I've been married twice. My ex husband was about 3 years younger, and my husband now is 5 years younger than I am. There are absolutely no issues with the age difference.

The last time I was single, at 35, for dating sites I believe that I chose an age range of 25-45. For the most part though, I didn't click with any guys over 37 and just found fun activities and friendship with the guys under 30. So for me a small age range seems best.

Glad to know I am not the only one...

and the negative responses I don't feel are all that negative... Just people's opinions and to each his/her own. Haha. I just thought it was an interesting topic to discuss considering we have these "guess how old?" topics!

I have only had 1 boyfriend who was older than me and that was only by a few months... I would love to find an older guy but I feel I am far too picky... I don't really have room to be that picky - but it is what it is... Haha. For now though, I am happy being single and able to talk to/be with whoever I want, whenever I want... (Of course sometimes it has its downside...)
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    This is all dependent on context.

A 60yr old dating a 40yr old? Perfectly fine in my eyes.

A 35yr old dating an 15yr old (same age gap)? Someone call Chris Hansen..
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

You. I like you. This is why we're friends. Your logic is impeccable.
  • KatieLouWho19
    Options
    Well when you are 58 years old, you come back here and tell us if age is still important to you. If you have kept the idea that you can only date a range of men, who at that time will be 56 to 64 years old. Or if you suddenly find it okay to date younger men...

Seriously, IMO, the fact that age does matter to you is telling of your current maturity level. But that just my opinion.

I am not quite sure how you can tell my maturity level due to the "usual" age range I tend to stick to... but you will feel how you will feel... I am not saying I am AGAINST dating Older or younger than the range I stated - I simply said that I just haven't ever found anyone outside that range that I felt comfortable with talking to in more of a serious/romantic manner.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    What are we talking about. dating? having fun? marriage?

For having fun the range can be well umm high like 50s LOL. It amazes me sometimes the women I find attractive and just cannot believe how much older they are than me. :ohwell: It don't matter to me. Once you go cougar you never go cub.
    Dating and marriage the age gets lower.
    Age is just a number but if you cannot legally drink in the US then you are too young for me.
  • KatieLouWho19
    Options
    What are we talking about. dating? having fun? marriage?

For having fun the range can be well umm high like 50s LOL. It amazes me sometimes the women I find attractive and just cannot believe how much older they are than me. :ohwell: It don't matter to me. Once you go cougar you never go cub.
    Dating and marriage the age gets lower.
    Age is just a number but if you cannot legally drink in the US then you are too young for me.

Lol... I was told once that I was a cougar.... I am only 25... :sad: LOL... But what you said is definitely true.... Dating and marriage age ranges are definitely different... :laugh:

I am preparing to be scolded for that last sentence! :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I think it can depend on a lot of things. I was the youngest in my family, so I spent a lot of time hanging out with my older brothers and their friends. One is 4 years older than me and one is 6 years older than me. My first husband was 6 years older than me and my current husband is 7 years older than me. I was 18 and my ex was 24 when we got married. I was 23 and my current husband was 30 when we started dating (25 & 32 when we got married). I have never been interested in men who are younger than me and I didn't date much in high school, the guys I did date were either older than me in high school or were in college.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    enhanced-12930-1401396447-7.jpg
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    It's a non-issue for me. It doesn't matter if you're 35 or 65. If I find you attractive, you're mature and we have a lot in common then that's all that matters.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My wife is 8 years younger than me. When we met 25 years ago her maturity level was far more developed than mine and, truth be told, probably still is.

Age means nothing at this point, except when planning for retirement.

We're too old to hang with the younger crowd; we're too young to throw in the towel; we're too cool to give a shlt what anyone else thinks.

LOL. You sir, are awesome! Even though your wife is selfish making you wait another 8 years longer before you guys can completely retire. sheesshhh!!! JK JK JK!! :laugh: :smile:

^^^Yup! Great reply! I have two 'friends'..one is 20 years younger than the other...the younger one is light years more mature than the older one...and more respectful. So it doesn't matter.
  • KatieLouWho19
    Options
    enhanced-12930-1401396447-7.jpg

LMFAOooo!!!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 and 30 is the oldest I'd date. I've never dated anyone my age or younger (and I don't plan on it).

To me, what matters the most is compatibility and the mental, emotional, physical connection we share.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I am not quite sure how you can tell my maturity level due to the "usual" age range I tend to stick to... but you will feel how you will feel... I am not saying I am AGAINST dating Older or younger than the range I stated - I simply said that I just haven't ever found anyone outside that range that I felt comfortable with talking to in more of a serious/romantic manner.

Well... part of my conclusion is most likely biased based on my previous experiences with you in the forums. Preference is preference. But beyond physical attraction, I can't imagine what hindrance you would find with dating older men.

Life experience can shape and mold a person, but at the core, most people's personalities remain the same throughout their lifetime. Life experience might change one's views and beliefs. But if they are charming, intelligent, friendly, and humorous (just using these as examples, I have no idea what personality traits you find attractive) in their youth, they tend to exhibit these traits throughout their lives.