What do you eat with chili?

Options
amusedmonkey
amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
I'm curious about a BBQ chicken chili recipe but I have not eaten chili before. Is it a stand-alone dish? if not, how is it traditionally eaten? and what do you personally eat it with?

Replies

• lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    a green salad, corn bread and ice tea
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I like my chili with a side of chili, often with chili for dessert.

Oh, and the spicier, the better!
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Corn bread!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I like chili with some shredded cheese & dollop of sour cream, and if it's not oniony enough for me, I will put chopped raw onion on top as well.

I used to include crackers or corn chips with that (mixed into the chili) but I don't really miss those now.
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    A dollop of sour cream and some diced green onions on top :)

Mmmm Chili- perfect for Winter or any other season
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I like it best with cornbread. My husband prefers oyster crackers.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Sour cream and avocado for me. <3 Depending on the chili and my mood, sometimes some bread to mop up the juice.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    It can be stand alone. Many dip bread into it.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    cornbread, sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips, fritos, hot sauce it is really up to you, you can use all of these or any combination of them

29509743.png
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    basmati rice :)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Tortilla chips! Also, I top my chili with shredded cheese and sour cream. Sometimes I add a green salad on the side.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Cornbread with honey butter!
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's a southern thing or if people do it elsewhere too, but I like chili over a split baked potato. Then, topped with shredded SHARP cheddar cheese, a little sour cream, and a sprinkling of diced green onion. :P
  • tamelakaye79
    tamelakaye79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    DIced onion, fresh sliced jalapeno, a little sour cream and a little shredded cheese. Ditto on the corn bread and a glass of sweet tea (Ugh..I wish I had a bowl right NOW) The next day I use the left overs and make frito chili pies or chili mac :)
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I make cornmeal dumplings and drop them on top. It reminds me of tamales which I LOVE but not nearly the work. Send me a message and give you the recipe
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Chili simply isn't chili without pb&j. Tear the sandwich in half and dunk it in the chili. Life is as it should be.
  • StephenNesbit
    StephenNesbit Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Haven't had chili since I started MFP, but when I did it was either:

• Cornbread
    or
    • Cheese and crushed-up crackers
  • teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Rice and chips... yum!
  • kjm_723
    kjm_723 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't usually do it anymore, but cinnamon rolls. Strange combo, I know, but growing up the school cafeteria always served those together and it's really pretty awesome. I kind of want chili and cinnamon roll for lunch now, mmmmm ????
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's a southern thing or if people do it elsewhere too, but I like chili over a split baked potato. Then, topped with shredded SHARP cheddar cheese, a little sour cream, and a sprinkling of diced green onion. :P
    Yummy! I should try that!