National Anthem During Prayers

Options
JoRocka
JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
So... not sure if anyone saw this- but my co-worker brought it up this morning raving about how awesome it was....
http://totalfratmove.com/american-soldier-plays-star-spangled-banner-on-electric-guitar-during-prayer-time-in-afghanistan-video/

I immediately asked if it was an american solider stationed in Afghanistan and he said yes and how awesome it was.

I said- during THEIR prayers?
Yup- SO AWESOME.

I was offended for them and said that is so unacceptable and rude.

"BUT THEY TRIED TO BLOW US UP"

blink blink- it's still rude. we are in their country- helping their military organize. So Rude.

All I can think of is "this is why no one likes our country"

cranky panda pants is cranky.
<bracing for the onslaught of 'MERICA comments>

Replies

• rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    In before the lock.

Yeah, not really cool. The entire population of Afghanistan did not try to blow us up. Just a group of psycho, ignorant *kitten* did. Innocent Muslims deserve the respect to pray.

One of the most ignorant things I've ever saw was a sign that said "All I need to know about Islam, I learned on 9/11"
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    So, one of our soldiers played our national anthem during Muslim prayers?

I agree. Disrespectful.

It is not the religion of Islam that murdered our people. It is the fundamentalist wackos that did so, hiding behind the guise of religion while keeping their followers ignorant. Those "people" are the equivalent of the KKK or Westboro church, both of which are Christian but obviously do not represent the faith. It is very important to keep the RELIGION and the PEOPLE separate, because ISIS and ISIL and all these fundamentalists obviously have never read nor understand their proclaimed religious tomes. I have read them, and no where does it say it is OK to blow people up who disagree with your faith. Not in ANY religion.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm atheist, but I still have respect for the religious preferences of others. I don't think what the soldier did was awesome. It was offensive.

I think if we turned it around and said that Christians were having a prayer time and someone played the Islamic Call to Prayer or another country's national anthem they would be very offended.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I agree. Disrespectful. And not at all the image of the troops that I want out there as a military spouse.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    He was wrong.
    He does not represent all of us, just as the extremist do not represent the Muslim community either.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Well let me just park a seat right up front here cause this is gonna get interesting

giphy.gif
  • JoRocka
    Options

I agree. Disrespectful.

It is not the religion of Islam that murdered our people. It is the fundamentalist wackos that did so, hiding behind the guise of religion while keeping their followers ignorant. Those "people" are the equivalent of the KKK or Westboro church, both of which are Christian but obviously do not represent the faith. It is very important to keep the RELIGION and the PEOPLE separate, because ISIS and ISIL and all these fundamentalists obviously have never read nor understand their proclaimed religious tomes. I have read them, and no where does it say it is OK to blow people up who disagree with your faith. Not in ANY religion.

yeah.

I just. I can't.

I agree.
    I'm glad I'm not going crazy on this one- I was so flabbergasted he thought it was alright.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    As a member of a family that has sent 4 people I love into harm's way in Iraq - I find this person's actions extremely disrespectful. And disappointing.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Extremely disrespectful and, to take it a bit farther, helps any of the extremists because it can be used to recruit.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Total **** move.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Yup, totally disrespectful. Quite disgusting too.

Runs counter to part of the purpose for even being there. If it's to be our responsibility to be the giant world military power with a sense of responsibility and morality that the world has historically not had, then little **** like this adds up and runs counter to that goal.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Total **** move.

+1
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

I agree. Disrespectful.

All of this!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Yup, totally disrespectful. Quite disgusting too.

Runs counter to part of the purpose for even being there. If it's to be our responsibility to be the giant world military power with a sense of responsibility and morality that the world has historically not had, then little **** like this adds up and runs counter to that goal.

That was kind of my point... we are there to HELP them build- this- is just not doing US our them any favors.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I'm atheist, but I still have respect for the religious preferences of others. I don't think what the soldier did was awesome. It was offensive.

I think if we turned it around and said that Christians were having a prayer time and someone played the Islamic Call to Prayer or another country's national anthem they would be very offended.

All of this....

That soldier is representing America and he only continued to portray what other countries already think....that we are closed minded, rude, and self centered. Putting on a uniform and fighting over seas doesn't give you the right to act like that.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    What are you all talking about? How will the world learn about freedom if Americans don't go and tell the world at every opportunity we get? That prayer thing is probably code for some war against freedom anyways. Good for him for disrupting their code words.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Anytime an American is in another foreign country, that country should start abiding the American ways immediately and the American way is to spread freedom and what better way to spread freedom by oppressing non-christians right to pray by blasting music!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    This thread is remarkably drama-free.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it's even true. I hear about a lot of things like this that turn out to be hoaxes. I checked Snopes for it but they don't have anything. I certainly hope it's not true because it is highly offensive and I like to think our soldiers are trained better than to do something so stupid.

ETA: I've done more research and this happened back in Dec. 2012. The soldier's name is Beau Embrey. Videos show him playing it at a military base. All the videos claim it's during Muslim prayer time, but since they have formal prayers 5 times a day, it wouldn't be hard to hit at least one of them just by coincidence. LOL. As far as I could tell, no Muslims were within hearing distance.
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    Ugh, disgusting. Certainly disrespectful, and certainly representing us very poorly. Tensions between our cultures are high enough; let's not fuel them further.