Long time maintainers how do you do it

Replies

• merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Bump. Great thread.

Thanks for the responses thus far. Surprised (Not surprised?) at how many folks are saying they still log regularly.
  • louisemcelroy
    louisemcelroy Posts: 8 Member
    did you lift when you were trying to lose weight too? I'm only asking because I go to the gym 5 times a week and really enjoy lifting weights but keep getting told it will put weight onto me.
  • optimism9
    optimism9 Posts: 4 Member
    Great Analogy! This is very true!
  • optimism9
    optimism9 Posts: 4 Member
    There is a great book I read called "Thin for Life". It gives great examples of how people maintained their weight loss over years. My best advice? Make MFP part of your life just like checking your email, voicemail, and bank balance, etc every day.

What I tell my patients who want to lose weight and maintain is this:
    Think of tracking your intake and exercise is like tracking your checking account. Would you ever go to a store and swipe your debit card without ever knowing what your balance is to spend or what the price of the item your buying is? Eating without tracking is exactly this.

Who would ever go to Best Buy and just start writing a check for the prettiest washer and dryer or fanciest computer just because you were "hungry to have one"? Blind eating is just like blind spending.

Would any of us irresponsibly ask the question, "Hey when can I stop checking my balance at the bank? It's getting old seeing how much money I have or don't have every day . I just want to relax and spend freely and assume that I have unlimited funds available". Or how about, "Hey, I'm going on vacation for 2 weeks...can't I just blow a bunch of cash that I don't have and just worry about the overdraft fees later when I get home?"

So very true!!!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    There is a great book I read called "Thin for Life". It gives great examples of how people maintained their weight loss over years. My best advice? Make MFP part of your life just like checking your email, voicemail, and bank balance, etc every day.

What I tell my patients who want to lose weight and maintain is this:
    Think of tracking your intake and exercise is like tracking your checking account. Would you ever go to a store and swipe your debit card without ever knowing what your balance is to spend or what the price of the item your buying is? Eating without tracking is exactly this.

Who would ever go to Best Buy and just start writing a check for the prettiest washer and dryer or fanciest computer just because you were "hungry to have one"? Blind eating is just like blind spending.

Would any of us irresponsibly ask the question, "Hey when can I stop checking my balance at the bank? It's getting old seeing how much money I have or don't have every day . I just want to relax and spend freely and assume that I have unlimited funds available". Or how about, "Hey, I'm going on vacation for 2 weeks...can't I just blow a bunch of cash that I don't have and just worry about the overdraft fees later when I get home?"

So very true!!!

This is the best analogy I have read on the topic of logging!! Well done.
    I log every day. I try to eat low carb, high protein and if I eat something on the south side of "nutritionally dense" I just log it. And I drink water. And like many posters before me, I wish I had started weight training along time ago. I just had my 5th session with a PT, and it is indeed life changing just as is logging and getting enough steps in every day. I sleep so much better - and guess what? those who sleep maintain well.

I am on year three of maintenance. Great stuff.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Stay active.

Drink lots of water.

If I am having one heavy meal that day (like going out to eat for dinner), I will eat little for lunch.

Portion control.

Never eating to "stuffed".

Fasting.

I don't count calories in maintenance.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Maintaining for 2 months now. I find that I have to still log otherwise my calories go way over. I am now more concerned with weekly calorie goals and weight trends. If that goes well, I'll go by bi-weekly ... I'm also Interested to know how others are maintaining...