Anyone else fear running outdoors?

Options
1235»

Replies

• alijoanxo
    alijoanxo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I did my jogging early in the morning when the sun hasn't quite come up yet and there's hardly anyone else out and about. But honestly, people could really care less about you running, they never pay attention. And if they do who cares? You're doing something good for yourself! Get on out there (:
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Yes, to some extent but only because there are mountain lions and bears (no joke).

... Well yes that would make me hesitant too ... Fair point.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner, although I'd like to complete a 5K at some point in my life.

However, if I ever see someone running outside . . . especially if they look like they're new to it or struggling - I always, ALWAYS, think to myself good for them - they're out there, they're doing it, and they're bettering themselves.

I'd say go for it.
  • lucyenjolras
    Options
    I was a bit self conscious to start with, but am now training for a half marathon! I never would have even considered running that sort of difference if I'd stayed on the treadmill, but I've found I really love it. My advice for if you're a bit apprehensive would be to use headphones if you can - safely, while staying alert of roads etc. I've found that I feel much less exposed when I wear them, even if I'm not listening to music.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    i recently on a vacation with no viable treadmill finally moved my run outdoors. every look i got from anyone, even at my highest weight and stopping every block or two for breath. every single look was a smile or nod. if people even looked at me at all. it was all encouraging not judgemental.

however, that was in my moms progressive small town full of rich people, here in my city people LOVE yelling out their cars at people. its like the citys official pastime. now that its cooling off i shall see how it is around here. nothing will stop me though, i want to run bloomsday in the spring.

i have decided if anyone yells at me i will just chase their truck or jalopy and run over the roof and jump over the other side.

Start a thread of the things that get said to you and share with the rest of us!
  • Marcel182
    Marcel182 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Beating a dead horse... but, really, everyone has to start someone.
    I started running when I was overweight in very crowded areas. I'm sure I was self conscious at times. I didn't wear cool running gear and I had to take lots of breaks.
    Now, I wear more appropriate running clothes and have run half marathons and now usually push a 100+ lb double jogging stroller. I love how strong I am now but it doesn't happen overnight. And maybe that small, fit runner you see out there wasn't always like that.
    ^this exactly!

I remember the first time I went for a 'run', wearing totally inappropriate shoes. I went around the block and was left panting ant thinking that I'd NEVER do this again! But then I did go again. Bought some real running shoes. Ran a little farther, tried to breathe more easy. And so on. Nowadays I can run 7 miles easily, got my bright blue running gear and shoes and just lose myself in the run.
    Of course, music helps. I could never run without it and always make sure I've got a fully charged iPod with my custom playlist of the day with me.
    As someone who had severe asthma when I was young, being able to run so far without having trouble breathing is an awesome feeling. I couldn't care less what people think about me, and hope that some will see the smile on my face as I run by and be tempted to get running too.
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Felt like that at the beginning so used to run early in the morning when its really quiet, as time goes and your confidence grows you will be running at all times in the day I have no doubt!

Good luck - and enjoy it! :drinker:
  • Naturena19
    Options
    I really want to start jogging, but self conscious kills it the moment I consider it. I've been doing calorie programs on my elliptical and have been keeping up with the rpm at each intensity level but I really think jogging outdoors in the mornings would be fun.

If you ever felt this way, how did you overcome it? I would be going around neighborhoods and I think the part that hangs me up is knowing I'm going to suck at it, and people seeing me sucking air and nearly dying on their sidewalk.

I'm new to running outside as well, and I felt exactly like you in the beginning. I thought everyone would stare at me, and that more experienced runners would look at me with pity... Well, I couldn't have been more wrong! When I'm running, I'm so focused on what I'm doing that I couldn't care less what other people on the trail might be thinking. In fact, I usually get friendly smiles from walkers and runners! Once you break through that initial fear, the anxiety will slowly fade. Good luck!
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Just get out and do it, once you get into your stride, you won't really care. Often I'm on such an endorphin high during a run that if I get any laughs (usually from teenagers) I just play along and pretend I'm crossing the finishing line (arms in the air and chest puffed out) it usually gets a good cheer and they know they can't offend me with silly comments if I show I'm having fun.

Just enjoy it, and pretty soon, when you improve you can tell people how much you've achieved if they say anything nasty to you.

Oh and I reiterate the whole bright clothing thing if you are on the roads (even in daylight). Get some running specific gear as it usually has scotchlight reflective piping on it that really stands out on those dark roads. I usually have a bright running cap as an absolute minimum, mainly to keep the sweat out of my eyes, but also so I stand out a bit.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    My ultimate trick for a beginning running outside it to wear a digital watch. When you want to slow to a walk, turn around and head home or just look like a pro, look down at your watch, nod knowledgeably and do your thang. You'll rock this :flowerforyou:

Look up C25K (couch to 5K) for timings of said slowing to a walk!
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I always feared running outdoors until I started running outdoors. Almost 2months ago I started running...well walking fast outside on the mountain next to where I work. The first time I went was so exciting. You realize you are not alone. They were so many people out there running trying to get healthier and fit, old, youngs, big and small, it was extremely motivating. Two months later I am running, not walking anymore, not afraid and really enjoying this time. Just go for it
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I use to for sure. I didn't go for probably almost a year and a few months. I got goaded into going with some women I sort of knew, i was scared ****less. Even on the second and third run i was. Now they are my running buddies, almost sisters. I don't even know why I was so nervous, i guess fear of being too slow, looking foolish, what ever.

They, or for that matter all of the people I have met have all Been very welcoming and highly supportive and motivational. In fact I have never heard someone belittle or make fun of someone else who is running (other than in good fun, we trash talk each other all the time). I know many new runners can be defensive when they see other runners, but seriously don't over read comments. If a runner says hey, keep it up your doing great, they mean it.... they were there once.

I've never been in any other sport where you receive so much encouragement and support. For my first half marathon they all showed up with out telling me st the top of all the major hills with signs and banners cheering me on.... no way I would have finished it in my goal time if they hadn't been there. :)
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Get out and do it.
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Not wanting to hijack this thread, but seriously, has anyone ever come across another runner who looks down on you for not being a semi-pro?

I seriously cannot think of ever coming across anyone who didn't want to encourage me and thought it was great I was doing what they love. The only time I have ever heard people get funny is when other people are being dangerous and putting lives at risk (obviously other sports, not running)

I think the only ones who genuinely point and laugh are the lazy bones who don't actually do any exercise themselves (maybe more because they are jealous and wish they had the balls and motivation to get out and do it themselves).
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you let someone ruin your dreams?!

I started running at 256 pounds and in the 2 years I've been losing weight, only one person has ever approached me while running. It was a kid giving me water.

The only limitations is the ones you set for yourself. I'm serious when I say, no one cares that you're running!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but I was doing an interval thing --- a stride/walk, then a 1 minute job, then 3 minute walk recovery. I had a fall due to uneven ground and tore a tendon, which put me off any high impact stuff for almost 2 months. After that, I just did walking outdoors. I do all my high impact stuff in a gym with smooth floors. I'm even a bit cautious about walking long distances in the winter due to ice. Once you have a couple of injuries, you become paranoid about falling.