over a year and no weight loss

Options

Replies

• sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm also concerned that no one has addressed the weight gain in the first place, does this mean it's normal to gain that much weight in that much time?

I'm not sure it's normal but it can happen. I went from 140-210 in 5 months at one point and have no metabolic issues.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    One more question...

How can you afford 12oz steak every evening for dinner, if you can't drop 10 bucks for a food scale?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Ok here's something that has been mentioned before but I'm looking at it slightly differently. Look at your log and how you are feeling during this and after specific meals, you don't seem to perk up any till after you've added protein in. The mood and the fatigue seem to be insulin resistance as basically your popping your blood sugar with the cantaloupe but not really giving yourself anything to sustain it long term. This is the way it was explained to me several years ago is that carbs are short term energy, proteins and fats which are broken down differently give you longer term energy. That and for some people (ie me) little meals just leave them hungry and cranky and you don't perk up till after you start eating the larger ones either.

I think it's kinda dangerous to internet diagnose someone based on a single day of eating/mood/energy level.

I am insulin resistant, I'd never tell someone that they are, too.

Anyway - OP, I'm serious about my offer of the food scale. If you're nervous about sending your personal info to me, I can send you the money via PayPal. Up to you.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Ok here's something that has been mentioned before but I'm looking at it slightly differently. Look at your log and how you are feeling during this and after specific meals, you don't seem to perk up any till after you've added protein in. The mood and the fatigue seem to be insulin resistance as basically your popping your blood sugar with the cantaloupe but not really giving yourself anything to sustain it long term. This is the way it was explained to me several years ago is that carbs are short term energy, proteins and fats which are broken down differently give you longer term energy. That and for some people (ie me) little meals just leave them hungry and cranky and you don't perk up till after you start eating the larger ones either.
    Can you explain the whole "if you don't perk up then eat protein" suggestions? How is that supposed to be an indicator?
    Can we attribute everyone's mood and fatigue to insulin resistance?
    Your body will not just burn through all carbs right away leaving people angry. That's anecdotal evidence at best.
    Indeed it likely is anecdotal at best, though having seen it in every single diabetic I know, including my pre-diabetic self, I'm inclined to believe it. The best explanation I was given was that insulin resistance ie type 2 diabetes causes the body to metabolize differently, particularly glucose but this can also affect medications, and that as a (pre-) type 2 to always pair carbs with proteins to ensure that you don't get the rapid dip that can occur. The full explanation was a bunch of medical jargon that I've never been interested enough to remember all of. And no I wouldn't say they are just that it sounds similar to what I've seen and that in this case a full panel of blood work is a good idea particularly with previous medical issues possibly covering up something else.

Edited to answer something else.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Can you explain the whole "if you don't perk up then eat protein" suggestions? How is that supposed to be an indicator?
    Can we attribute everyone's mood and fatigue to insulin resistance?
    Your body will not just burn through all carbs right away leaving people angry. That's anecdotal evidence at best.
    Indeed it likely is anecdotal at best, though having seen it in every single diabetic I know, including my pre-diabetic self, I'm inclined to believe it. The best explanation I was given was that insulin resistance ie type 2 diabetes causes the body to metabolize differently, particularly glucose but this can also affect medications, and that as a (pre-) type 2 to always pair carbs with proteins to ensure that you don't get the rapid dip that can occur. The full explanation was a bunch of medical jargon that I've never been interested enough to remember all of. And no I wouldn't say they are just that it sounds similar to what I've seen and that in this case a full panel of blood work is a good idea particularly with previous medical issues possibly covering up something else.

Edited to answer something else.
    As you said, anecdotal at best. I know plenty of diabetics that don't have that situation. You should remember the medical jargon if that's what's you're going to go by. The explanation was lack luster.

You're basically diagnosing the OP with diabetes. Did you consider he's eating more than he thinks?

Also, he didn't state he's on medications.

Nope, that was just a remembered portion of that conversation that always follows along with the rest of it, for reasons. When you grow up around diabetics it really does become medical jargon after a while the advice given to grandfather is different than my mother received, my uncle different, my grandmother's both got different advice, and what I was given was different again, the only thing that stayed the same was the protein carb pairing and that was not explained until 4 years ago when I was diagnosed and to be honest at that point I was just doing a happy dance that I hadn't inherited my grandmother's thyroid issues. So honestly what I'm hoping get's pulled from this is "Ok the body is still acting weird this is also affecting mood. Perhaps there is something else that was covered up by the previous problem." Get a full panel done, to be safe. If its nothing, which I hope, then you know for sure. Yes OP should be watching his counts I don't disagree, I count mine everyday its the only way I've ever safely lost weight.
  • tinallen863
    tinallen863 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and know the ropes, please take my word for it: MEASURE AND WEIGH! Don't trust your eyes. Also, give up the packaged bars and swap it for fresh fruit. This will change everything. You can do it! You can get a scale pretty cheap but I use measuring cups and spoons the most. :smile:
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    OP, this isn't to pick on you, just to illustrate how easily we make mistakes in logging. Your math is wrong from the journal entry you posted. You shorted yourself by 105 calories. You ate 1921, if your estimations were perfect.

You don't have to buy a food scale to get started. You can use measuring cups and spoons.

It makes sense to me that you gained the weight in three months-you were sick and moving a lot less. Movement throughout the days makes a pretty big difference even without actual exercise.

Since you are in a financially tight spot, the most helpful advice truly is to try being more precise with your measuring or weighing and logging. It's much cheaper than a doctor's appointment. It's also cheaper than buying a frozen meal for every meal. (If you make a few food swaps like buying oatmeal-not in the packets but in the can or carton-instead of breakfast bars, you'll easily save the money you need to buy a scale or measuring set.)
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    One more question...

How can you afford 12oz steak every evening for dinner, if you can't drop 10 bucks for a food scale?

I cry at the prices of hamburger and ground turkey. Steaks are waaaaay outside our budget, and yet I got a new scale and a foam roller to help with my knee problems. Priorities and what not.
    We have an saying in the medical community, "If you hear hooves clicking, think horse, not zebra".

Ah, that explains why my GP said "I'm a horse doctor, and now we're looking for a zebra" before scheduling an MRI for me and referring me out to an endocrinologist.

OP, you came in asking for help and ideas and seem to be getting really defensive that people suggest you might be underestimating your caloric intake. Let me tell you that 1oz of cheese is NOT the serving sizes I'd been eating in the past and considering a serving. Same with chicken, rice, beef.. pretty much everything except maybe veggies. Even fruit has more calories than I'd like to think they do. Measure what you can, and perhaps google the visual sizes for servings to help you out a bit. It's not like it's going to hurt you to try out what others have found to be the most common problem for people not losing.
  • vivi1962
    vivi1962 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I cut out all butter. I season with onion powder, garlic powder and sea salt (my favorite). I use a cast iron grill pan and Pam to cook my food (meats). I only use 1 teaspoon of olive oil a day and 1 teaspoon of peanut butter. My meals consist of lots of veggies, salads (1 tsp oil and red wine vinegar) a protein shake, non fat yogurt, two fruits, lean meats, poultry and fish (4-6 oz), only two grains a day small portions (brown rice, beans, potatoes, whole grain pastas bread, 1/2 bagel, 1 whole grain waffle, etc.) I don't eat after 8:00p.m. and I try to drink a gallon of water daily. It fills you up. I also walk for 30 minutes a day. If I get home when it's dark, I walk around my couch. You also need to do weight exercises. That helps you shed the inches. You can buy an exercise video to do at home or go to the gym. I do 30 minutes a night and rotate between cardio and weights. I have a bad knee, so I modify a lot of the exercises, but it's still doing the job for me. They say if you want to lose weight you should east six small meals instead of just three. Definitely measure your food and put it on your plate. After a while you can look at it and judge how much you should have. Hope this helps.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    anything that's going to cost money to do I have to think twice beforehand because I have almost nothing when it comes to disposable income. Otherwise I would have gone to my doctor and nutritionist rather than going on the internet. so If I do want to weigh all my food, that means I will have to save the money for a couple weeks to buy a scale, then the two weeks to actually use it.

So you have the funds to invest in a bunch of medical tests but not the money for an inexpensive food scale? And since you are on a calorie-counting website, most people here will advocate accurate calorie counting as the first obvious problem.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Bold is your problem - you really have no idea just how many calories you're consuming - you're guessing.

^^^This...
  • jilly1130
    jilly1130 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The answer is incredibly simple. You are eating more than you think or you have your calorie goal set too high. Like others have said, measure everything you eat with a kitchen scale and measuring cups for liquids. Also, be sure you do not overestimate the calories you burn from exercise.

I don't know how long you have been on this site, but the whole point of it is to record your food intake and count calories. I am confused why you are writing things down instead of using MFP to track calories. (sorry if I missed this in your post -- it was too long for me to read all of it)

So, simply put once again....calories in calories out. It is that simple. You are eating too much.

Best of luck.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I cut out all butter. I season with onion powder, garlic powder and sea salt (my favorite). I use a cast iron grill pan and Pam to cook my food (meats). I only use 1 teaspoon of olive oil a day and 1 teaspoon of peanut butter. My meals consist of lots of veggies, salads (1 tsp oil and red wine vinegar) a protein shake, non fat yogurt, two fruits, lean meats, poultry and fish (4-6 oz), only two grains a day small portions (brown rice, beans, potatoes, whole grain pastas bread, 1/2 bagel, 1 whole grain waffle, etc.) I don't eat after 8:00p.m. and I try to drink a gallon of water daily. It fills you up. I also walk for 30 minutes a day. If I get home when it's dark, I walk around my couch. You also need to do weight exercises. That helps you shed the inches. You can buy an exercise video to do at home or go to the gym. I do 30 minutes a night and rotate between cardio and weights. I have a bad knee, so I modify a lot of the exercises, but it's still doing the job for me. They say if you want to lose weight you should east six small meals instead of just three. Definitely measure your food and put it on your plate. After a while you can look at it and judge how much you should have. Hope this helps.

I'm glad this is working for you, but it's not the only way to achieve success. I'm 46 pounds down and I had nachos made with doritos last night for dinner (delish). McDonalds on Tuesday and sugar in my coffee every morning. It really is all about how much you eat, and eating in a way you're willing (and happy) to eat for the rest of your life.
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    IT'S NOT A SIMPLE AS CALORIES IN AND CALORIES OUT....I REPEAT "IT'S NOT AS SIMPLE AS CALORIE IN AND CALORIES OUT".

Our bodies are much more complex:

(From Dr. Peter Attia, The Eating Academy)

Obesity is a growth disorder just like any other growth disorder. Specifically, obesity is a disorder of excess fat accumulation. Fat accumulation is determined not by the balance of calories consumed and expended but by the effect of specific nutrients on the hormonal regulation of fat metabolism. Obesity is a condition where the body prioritizes the storage of fat rather than the utilization of fat.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    If you want to message me your address, I will have a food scale shipped to you from Amazon.

I also second seeing an endocrinologist and delving further into the thyroid check than just TSH. Check TPO antibodies, T3, T4, Free T3, Free T4, Reverse T3, etc. Hashimoto's is a sneaky fu*ker. I gain weight like crazy (10+ lbs in a couple weeks sometimes even with 1200 cal/day and running 4-6 days/week) unless I basically starve myself, even when the doctor tells me my numbers are in range.