Do you eat Chobani or Oikos Greek and leave the fruit alone?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't buy the "fruit on the bottom" type because I think it's gross. The blended ones are super good though... I love coconut, orange cream, cafe latte, and several others. If you're worried about sugar, maybe buy plain and add your own fruit?
    ^ this

I buy Dannon Greek but the light and fit version. Way less calories (80), still 12g of protein and usually only 8 or 9 carbs and 6 or 7g of sugar. I buy the flavor blends or the vanilla and add my own fresh fruit.

Bleh. How can anyone compare Chobani to Light and Fit is beyond me. Light and Fit is full of artificial crap. Every time I have one I end with that gross aftertaste in my mouth.
  • brandonrf
    brandonrf Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Well I guess I am alone on this one. As to the stevia comment. Absolutely. Stevia has changed my life. I dont have to hunger for something sweet anymore, I just mix up a glass of brewed iced tea and add stevia for a sweet fix.

Lol I kinda get it. My hubby likes the black cherry chobani, I try and stay away because I'm lactose intolerant and yogurt is hit or miss sometimes it bothers me other times it doesn't. Anyway sometimes I take one of his yogurts, but for me it's too sweet so I throw out most of the fruit out. Not sure how to count this but I just log the full yogurt. This is not something I do often so I doubt it's really affecting my numbers and I try to over estimate calories and sugar if there's a question.

I just heard they came out with pumpkin flavor, I'm obsessed with all things pumpkin, so I will have to try this one lol.

That is kind of why I started this as well. I am lactose intolerent to whole milk but oikos and chobani doesnt bother me. When I bought a tub of greek gods yogurt it would make me sick. This was trying to mitigate that and what it has turned out to be.

As for the pumpkin. This is the season of all things pumpkin and I just bought a couple cans of pumpkin to make some of my favorite seasonal favorites. love the stuff.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Ouch harsh bunch...

Yes, that is the obvious choice. Just to buy the plain but I dont like the plain. If i do the fruit cups I get some of the fruit flavor but not all the sugar since its separated and sitting at the bottom.

I buy the cups for conveinence and dont really care to save the planet. Where I buy yogurt, the individual cups are the same price as the tubs per ouce. I have done my homework on yogurt since its my favorite go to snack/breakfast.

As for cost that is something I watch like a hawk and well I pay about 12.1 cents an ouce for the fruit version and 12.0 cents an ouce for the plain. I eat about 10 ouces a day (netting 24g protein) so I would be saving a wopping 1 cent a day (30 cents a month) and still have to flavor the plain boring yogurt.

Try Dannon Light and Fit greek, esp Lime and also pappya ,intense flavor no fruit
    I really enjoy my food and while I dont eat sweets anymore I do watch sugar intake. I eat for healthy living not to cut ever carb. I eat about 150-180 grams of protein a day, fill in the rest with carbs and keep my fats for the most part around 40-50 grams. My pie chart has equal parts carbs and protein and about 20-25 percent fat.

The point was to get what you want in your day and modify modify modify as tony horton says to make it work for you. I do that in my dieting as well but still truely enjoy what I eat.
  • dianesheart88
    dianesheart88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Oikos Vanilla and add your own fruit when you want.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Why not just buy the plain yogurt and add stuff (if you want) to it?
  • horrorlady
    horrorlady Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    that exactly what i do! get rid of the sugary fruit on bottom and eat the top ygrt because it still have some fruit flavor! didnt think anyone else did that! and totally true i tried the plain and you would have to flavor that as well as its to sour....
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    The first yogurts I tried had fruit in them. Some were okay, some weren't. I stopped buying the ones with fruit and moved over to Oikos honey on the bottom/Oikos vanilla. Good sweetness without the fruit.

I understand wanting the fruit flavoring and not the fruit. I think you'd better off mixing your own yogurt like others suggested
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Put agave nectar in it. Or just eat cottage cheese.

Also, what is an "ouce?" I don't care if I'm being pedantic, I'm geniunely concerned that there is a difference between ounce vs. ouce
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I just heard they came out with pumpkin flavor, I'm obsessed with all things pumpkin, so I will have to try this one lol.

You better not be kidding right now....

Nope I don't kid about pumpkin
  • shankasaurus
    shankasaurus Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    In for all the amazing greek yogurt ideas.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I don't buy the "fruit on the bottom" type because I think it's gross. The blended ones are super good though... I love coconut, orange cream, cafe latte, and several others. If you're worried about sugar, maybe buy plain and add your own fruit?
    ^ this

I buy Dannon Greek but the light and fit version. Way less calories (80), still 12g of protein and usually only 8 or 9 carbs and 6 or 7g of sugar. I buy the flavor blends or the vanilla and add my own fresh fruit.

Bleh. How can anyone compare Chobani to Light and Fit is beyond me. Light and Fit is full of artificial crap. Every time I have one I end with that gross aftertaste in my mouth.

When you find someone in this thread comparing the two, go quote them.

Aaaannnnd if you're so worried about artificial crap in food then maybe cheesecake bites for lunch isn't the best choice.
  • brandonrf
    Options
    that exactly what i do! get rid of the sugary fruit on bottom and eat the top ygrt because it still have some fruit flavor! didnt think anyone else did that! and totally true i tried the plain and you would have to flavor that as well as its to sour....

I did receive two messages, you, someone else on here, and me that do eat it this way.
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Well I guess I am alone on this one. As to the stevia comment. Absolutely. Stevia has changed my life. I dont have to hunger for something sweet anymore, I just mix up a glass of brewed iced tea and add stevia for a sweet fix.

Lol I kinda get it. My hubby likes the black cherry chobani, I try and stay away because I'm lactose intolerant and yogurt is hit or miss sometimes it bothers me other times it doesn't. Anyway sometimes I take one of his yogurts, but for me it's too sweet so I throw out most of the fruit out. Not sure how to count this but I just log the full yogurt. This is not something I do often so I doubt it's really affecting my numbers and I try to over estimate calories and sugar if there's a question.

That is kind of why I started this as well. I am lactose intolerent to whole milk but oikos and chobani doesnt bother me. When I bought a tub of greek gods yogurt it would make me sick. This was trying to mitigate that and what it has turned out to be.

As for the pumpkin. This is the season of all things pumpkin and I just bought a couple cans of pumpkin to make some of my favorite seasonal favorites. love the stuff.

Stony field came out with a new line French petite yogurt, vanilla is awesome, not overly sweet.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options

You better not be kidding right now....

i have an individual serving of pumpkin greek yogurt from trader joe's with me today! can't wait to try :happy:
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Why not just buy Greek yogurt without the fruit in it?

Exactly!
  • horrorlady
    horrorlady Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    ha ha! YES SIR!
    :happy:
  • 1HappyTurtleRunner
    Options
    I buy whichever is on sale that week, I do get the plain but I don't care for the flavor either, so I add half a scoop of vanilla protein powder to it
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    There's PUMPKIN GREEK YOGURT?!?! Where!!!??
  • apratsunrthd
    apratsunrthd Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I make my own.
  • brandonrf
    Options
    Just thought I'd mention/ask, doesn't the fruit-on-the-bottom yoghurt also have sugar/flavouring in the yoghurt itself, not just the fruit part? Otherwise wouldn't it be exactly the same as eating plain yoghurt? My point being, aren't you eating added sugar even when you don't eat the fruit, or is the different flavour just a placebo effect? I mean, it's probably not a lot if that's the case, but it's not nothing either.

You are making my point. I think its all in my head. Its not in the greek yogurt, its just that you get a bit of the fruit as you take off the top of the yogurt as the stuff sits in the bottom of the cup, you get just a bit of the sweetness without all the fruit jelly sitting on the bottom. You hit it spot on. Its not anything but it is something and even if its a bit more (something like 18 or 19 grams of sugar) I am not eating all that stuff when I just eat the yogurt and trash the fruit. Its clearly in my thinking and was just wondering if a friendly yes I do that or no would have sufficed but this escalated quickly.