I AM STARVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• bluemartini6
    Options
    lisamarie - how long have you been counting calories on here? This is my 2nd week. THe first week was terrible, I was starving, exhausted. Week 2 better, but sometimes still hungry - this is my 3rd week and sometimes i get to have a dessert or two to make up some calories at the end of the night. It does get better, you stomach will get smaller (or seem less hungry).

I recommend keeping lots of cottage cheese in the fridge - seriously, filling, low cal - it helped especially week 1 and 2...and I'll probably rely on it this week too!

Also, when I make a sandwich, I put tons of lettuce on - low/no cal and helps fill you. (one time it was like a cup of romaine on a sandwich-but healthy and helps fill you)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I found, surprisingly, that the more I exercised, the less I wanted to eat. I think a lot of my "hunger" was actually boredom, so filling up that time with going to the gym or doing an exercise-type video game or walking the dog was a win-win situation. I burned calories AND didn't consume calories. :smile:

Yes, this. It doesn't make sense to me, but when I exercise, I'm not as hungry. Try to fit in some cardio. And if you're really, genuinely hungry, look for some low-cal, high-protein or high-fiber stuff to eat. After tracking my food for almost two weeks, I'm noticing that when I eat carby stuff, I'm hungry all day and can't stay under my limit, but if I eat good protein and fiber, I feel satisfied and it's easier to stay within my limit. And as others have said, drink lots of water. If you just hate the taste of water, try watering down some of your usual drink to half-strength (today I'm drinking half-strength lemonade). It's not as good as drinking just water, but you can drink the same number of glasses for half the calories.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    look for things that are high in fiber and/or high in protein. Fruits and vegetables are great for fiber. Kelloggs Fiber Plus bars are also really good...120 calories and 9 grams of fiber. With a big glass of water afterwards, you feel full for a long time! Water water water! It takes a while sometimes while your stomach shrinks to the appropriate size, so don't feel bad. But listen to your body....if you truly feel hungry, after you've had lots of water and fiber/protein...EAT! Low fat meats or cheese can also help. Slim Fast has high proteing meal bars. My protein of choice is Bolthouse Farms Vanilla chai Tea Drinks. A little over 300 calories, this drink gives you a whopping 20 grams of protein (soy). Experiment with what makes you feel fuller fiber or protein or both. Gum is a good idea, however for me, it makes me feel MORE hungry because it increases salivation which can lead to hunger....so for me, I stick to a big bottlle of water!

Good luck!
  • joan41
    joan41 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    just like everyone else said.....increase your fiber, and try to drink more water. I will drink coffe, and eat a fiber one bar for a snack. Or try fruit, like bananas and apples. They say pears have more fiber, but I'm not a fan of pears. What about yogurt??? Yogurt always makes me feel full too!
  • deadbird
    Options
    One strategy i have tried is actually stopping for a moment and analyzing the sensation of being hungry.

I know it sounds weird but what does the sensation of being hungry really feel like?

I have found that it is not that bad, i have been trained to reflexively feed any feeling of hunger.

When i slow down and think about the feeling of being hungry i realize I can live with it.
    Remember it is just electrons running through your nerves telling you your stomach is empty.
    In fact i have been enjoying the sensation of being hungry.
    Is that crazy?

The breakdown happens when i smell something really good.

Good luck.
    Ed
  • vixenize
    vixenize Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    1. Drink more water.

2. Find an activity that occupies your mind so you're not constantly thinking about food. When I'm studying, hours will pass by before I realize I'm hungry because I just lose track of time. Focus on something that isn't food.

3. Eat apples, baby carrots, and celery. They aren't high in calories (if you eat them plain without any dip) and they take a bit of chewing to get through. If you are going over your max calories constantly, you might need to take a look at what you're actually eating for meals because some foods are high calorie but they won't really fill you up (e.g. juices, dipping sauces)

4. Remove things that remind you of food from your surroundings. For instance, if you work at home, don't work at the dining/kitchen table. Your mind associates the table/room with food so you'll think about food.

Unless you are severely limiting your caloric intake (under 1200 calories) or doing high intensity exercising that burns a lot of calories, most of your hunger pangs are likely psychological rather than physiological. To fix this, you need to re-wire your brain.
  • mckval
    mckval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm.
    Did I read this right on your profile? You are looking to lose 7lbs? If so, perhaps rather than "starving" yourself, you should try kicking up your exercise. Just eat healthy (no processed foods), stay under your maintenance calorie intake, and burn a lot of calories. (3500 calories burned=1lb)
    Try it that way. Starving is really not good for you. Seriously, your body is telling you something. And no amount of water or gum will help that.
  • Corismom
    Corismom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Check out: http://www.self.com/tips/jumpstart/meals/jillian-michaels-fat-burning-meal-plan

My husband and I have been following this for three weeks, as well as working out at the gym. He has lost 17 lbs and I have lost 8.

The foods are so filling, sometimes I find it hard to keep eating because I am not hungry, but I haven't gotten my 1200 cal in for the day.

I will caution you, use MFP to count the calories from the foods that you actually use to make the recipes...don't rely on the nutrition facts on the plan...I couldn't get them to match...
  • MRudman
    MRudman Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am home a lot so I am able to do this effectively. But, what I do is have a 200-250 calorie breakfast around 7:30. Around 9:30 I have a 100+/- calorie snack, usually fruit. (apple or banana) Around 11:00 I have a protein snack that is savory in taste like 2 Wasa Light crackers with 2 TBS of Garlic Lover's Hummus from Aldi. It satisfies my craving for REAL savory food, crunch and it has the protein to stave off my hunger. Around 12:30 I have lunch and again keep it to around 300 calories. Lately I have found comfort and satiety in a BLT made with 3 slices of Butterball Low Sodium Turkey Bacon, lettuce from my salad bag, couple of slices of Roma tomato, Mayo on one side of bread and mustard on the other. The bread I use is Pepperidge Farm 7-Grain Light, only 45 calories per slice. All this for around 200+/- calories and then you can still have something else with it for about 100 or so calories. Around 3:00 or close to it, I have another snack, only around 100 calories, and it will be just whatever I'm in the mood for at the time. Lots of water. I mean sip on it ALL day constantly. I know it's hard to do.

Then for dinner, I check my totals logged for the day and see where I stand, then based on what I'm having for dinner, I adjust my portions to accommodate my needs. The hardest part, is finding those foods which are low enough in calories, but also satisfying, and which you can have enough of to make you feel full. The goal with the smaller meals, is that you never feel stuffed, and it also gives your stomach the opportunity to get smaller so that eventually it takes less and less to fill you up. It has taken me three weeks to get to the point where I'm not hungry all the time. Also at regular meal times, you should feel hungry enough to eat something, while not being so hungry that you overeat; which will lead to a stretched out stomach and also more cravings. (This was always my biggest problem!!!)

I also read today, that when we eat too much salt, it makes us crave drinks that are not good for us as well as more and more food. It's a chain reaction. I have HBP, and am on medication, so I really try to watch my sodium as much as possible. I no longer walk around feeling bloated all the time.

I know this is difficult to control 100% of the time, but just remember, even if it takes a while, and you have to take baby steps in the right direction (as I have had to do) it will be worth it once you lose the weight you want to lose and you learn not to let food control you. I have let food control me for years, and I am slowly learning how to not let it control me anymore. It just takes time.

I'm here if you need any support. :0)
  • pieconspiracy
    Options
    It sounds weird, but I love a red apple sliced up with some peanut butter & rice krispies on it. It tastes sooo good, and it keeps you pretty full for a snack. :) If water and gum aren't helping, try that (or another snack that keeps you feeling full) and see how it works.
  • erinjoy002
    erinjoy002 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was like that a few weeks ago. but now i keep my water bottle full all day and I bring snacks to work so I don't hit the vending machine (cause you know there isn't a dang thing that is good for you in there) I started slicing up my own veggies-baby carrots, broccoli and celery. i pack a little container of low fat ranch or peanut butter for dipping my celery. I put them in baggies so all i did was grab one out of the fridge when i was hungry or on my way to work.
  • slindsey137
    slindsey137 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Fiber and protein help keep you full. I would also say that what your body is telling you is more important than your calorie count. Just eat slow and pay attention to what your body is telling you. When your full stop, when your hungry eat healthy.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I found, surprisingly, that the more I exercised, the less I wanted to eat. I think a lot of my "hunger" was actually boredom, so filling up that time with going to the gym or doing an exercise-type video game or walking the dog was a win-win situation. I burned calories AND didn't consume calories. :smile:

Yes, this. It doesn't make sense to me, but when I exercise, I'm not as hungry. Try to fit in some cardio. And if you're really, genuinely hungry, look for some low-cal, high-protein or high-fiber stuff to eat. After tracking my food for almost two weeks, I'm noticing that when I eat carby stuff, I'm hungry all day and can't stay under my limit, but if I eat good protein and fiber, I feel satisfied and it's easier to stay within my limit. And as others have said, drink lots of water. If you just hate the taste of water, try watering down some of your usual drink to half-strength (today I'm drinking half-strength lemonade). It's not as good as drinking just water, but you can drink the same number of glasses for half the calories.

Same here!!!

I want to eat much more when I'm inactive rather than when I'm training.

I also do very well on upping protein and most my carbs come from veg rather than pasta or rice.

Also water, water, water!!! Many people eat because they're dehydrated!!