Can't reach 1200 goal calories per day (losing weight)

Options
13»

Replies

• arrielle10
    Options
    I was also struggling to eat 1200 calories. My starting weight was 235 (EEEEK) and I was losing but not as rapidly as I expected. I was also getting headaches, although I didn't feel hungry. I am 5'7 female.

I decided to try to up my calories to 1,500 and make an effort to actually eat them, BAM! I lost 5 pounds in a week, (3 pounds in a week and a half at 1,2000) my headaches went away. I have more energy. I am sleeping great,

I do not know if this is your situation, but maybe try increasing your calories for a week and see if it helps. Good luck :)

Oh and I HATE breakfast but I try to eat something in the morning,Today all I could stomach was a spoonful of peanut butter.

ps. My tracker is off, I didn't add it until yesterday. I have lost 8 pounds total :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You've been on since December and you've lost 7 pounds. You are probably eating more than you think. Weigh and measure, its the only way to be accurate.
    I never ceases to amaze me how heavy people who must have eaten quite a bit to get to the weight they are are suddenly "incapable" of eating enough

Did you read any of the posts explaining it then?

I wrote one myself back on first page after someone else already asked this question

This is an example where the "moderation" argument actually makes sense.

Most people can't subsist on chicken and broccoli, so add a cupcake at the end of the day.

Although, for the very overweight, being a bit under isn't something to be concerned about. As far as the "you can't get your nutrition" line of thinking goes, they most probably weren't meeting their macros previously, anyway (just huge amounts of carbs).

I agree with this, but that doesn't make it okay.

Speaking only from my personal experience, if I ate 1200 calories a day when I was losing weight, there would be more muscle loss than I would be willing to part with. I can only get 100+ grams of protein on 1500 calories (or more) because I'm not willing to part with things like vegetables, corn, and rice.
  • melaniebester
    melaniebester Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I want to pop in here and do some opinion-ing.

My highest ever weight was about 200 pounds, I'm not at about 180 after going down to 160, and so I know the logistics of losing AND gaining weight.

I want to say that to those who seem to think saying "how did you get fat if you struggle to eat 1200 calories" is okay, that it's not. You have no comprehension of that persons lifestyle before they joined this website. It is so incredibly easy to eat the same AMOUNT of food and have a difference of thousands of calories. For instance, eating 500 calories of chocolate, or eating 500 calories of salad- but I can tell you, that there is no way that I could eat 500 calories of plain salad.

The problem is the "diet" culture that forms when people who are overweight are taught that the only things they can eat to lose weight are "diet" foods like salads, lean meats and vegetables- take it from a vegetarian, trying to live on only salad and boil vegetables was a bad idea.

This "diet culture" we perpetuate in our society teaches people (ESPECIALLY women) that you've failed if you dip into a row of chocolate occasionally, or that if you have a pizza with friends, you're repulsive and you're an atrocity to yourself and society. The reality is, that it's about balance. We wonder why so many people stack weight back on after they've lost, and I'm willing to bet half the reason is that they don't know how to balance their lifestyle. You have GOT to diet the way you want to live the rest of your life- you have to learn that treats are fine, but they have to be moderated. You have to learn your nutrition balances between calories gained from carbohydrates, fats and protein. You have to KNOW your body and KNOW what works for you, and you have to immerse yourself in a supportive environment that encourages and assists with that.

To the OP, I want to say I can relate to you so much. Even now, after over a year of using MFP, I struggle to make my 1200 calories. Before, indulging in ridiculous amounts of simple carbs, I'd power through 2000 calories and still not even be close to full. Now, when my staple food is vermicelli and stir fry style foods, I struggle a lot to hit the target. I have no doubt that some of it is leftover guilt and panic and anxiety from people around me telling me I was eating too much, that I should be cutting my calories further- people who didn't understand that portion isn't everything. People who didn't understand the impact that their words had on me, to the point where I spent quite a few weeks going into calorie deficits (exercising ANY food i'd eaten off, sending my MFP profile into the negative numbers) because I felt so guilty about eating anything.

Never feel guilty, but do try to make up your 1200 calories through healthy, nutritional mediums- nuts, fruits, grains, and hey, an amazing treat is a banana smoothie with some cocoa powder added- so good, still nutritional, and bananas help to fill you up because of their potassium!

My best advice is to learn more about nutrition as you go on your journey- keep the 1200 number in your mind, but also remember that while calories are important, giving your body the sustenance and nutrition it needs to function is also important, more important than anything. And don't let anyones negative comments impact you! You are doing so well, and you're doing an amazing thing for yourself. Keep it up xxx
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Oop.
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Well said MelanieBester! :drinker:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started a couple of weeks ago to limit myself to between 1200 and 1300 calories per day (I'm female, aged 20, 230 pounds and 5ft 8) with my aim to lose around 4 stone over time. But I can't seem to eat enough calories per day even though it feels like I'm eating loads, and I tend to go for a 30 min run nearly every day (normally 6 times a week) so I should really be eating over 1300.
    I have never liked eating much in the mornings, so breakfast is usually quite late and I'll have a banana and skimmed milk smoothie. Then lunch will be either a tuna mayo salad or a boiled egg salad with a rice cracker or something like that, then I'll have a piece of fruit in the afternoon and dinner will be chicken/fish and veg with some yoghurt afterwards. In all, this adds up to about 1100 calories a day (unless I am adding completely the wrong quantities!), but if I eat more than this I feel guilty and like it's too much food. Is it ok to continue eating like this if my body is coping fine with it, and if not how do I eat more when I feel full? Thank you!

Breakfast - Banana smoothie add a spoonful of peanut butter (or grind up instant oats in your drink).

Tuna (or egg) salad....try a wrap or flat-out (they have lower carb options if that's important to you). Add a slice of avocado. Add a sprinkle of nuts or seeds.

Dinner is just meat and yogurt (!?)....have a baked sweet potato with butter and cinnamon.

This is a marathon, not a sprint. Very low calories will back fire. Closer to goal you will experience muscle loss with calories this low.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I want to pop in here and do some opinion-ing.

My highest ever weight was about 200 pounds, I'm not at about 180 after going down to 160, and so I know the logistics of losing AND gaining weight.

I want to say that to those who seem to think saying "how did you get fat if you struggle to eat 1200 calories" is okay, that it's not. You have no comprehension of that persons lifestyle before they joined this website. It is so incredibly easy to eat the same AMOUNT of food and have a difference of thousands of calories. For instance, eating 500 calories of chocolate, or eating 500 calories of salad- but I can tell you, that there is no way that I could eat 500 calories of plain salad.

The problem is the "diet" culture that forms when people who are overweight are taught that the only things they can eat to lose weight are "diet" foods like salads, lean meats and vegetables- take it from a vegetarian, trying to live on only salad and boil vegetables was a bad idea.

This "diet culture" we perpetuate in our society teaches people (ESPECIALLY women) that you've failed if you dip into a row of chocolate occasionally, or that if you have a pizza with friends, you're repulsive and you're an atrocity to yourself and society. The reality is, that it's about balance. We wonder why so many people stack weight back on after they've lost, and I'm willing to bet half the reason is that they don't know how to balance their lifestyle. You have GOT to diet the way you want to live the rest of your life- you have to learn that treats are fine, but they have to be moderated. You have to learn your nutrition balances between calories gained from carbohydrates, fats and protein. You have to KNOW your body and KNOW what works for you, and you have to immerse yourself in a supportive environment that encourages and assists with that.

To the OP, I want to say I can relate to you so much. Even now, after over a year of using MFP, I struggle to make my 1200 calories. Before, indulging in ridiculous amounts of simple carbs, I'd power through 2000 calories and still not even be close to full. Now, when my staple food is vermicelli and stir fry style foods, I struggle a lot to hit the target. I have no doubt that some of it is leftover guilt and panic and anxiety from people around me telling me I was eating too much, that I should be cutting my calories further- people who didn't understand that portion isn't everything. People who didn't understand the impact that their words had on me, to the point where I spent quite a few weeks going into calorie deficits (exercising ANY food i'd eaten off, sending my MFP profile into the negative numbers) because I felt so guilty about eating anything.

Never feel guilty, but do try to make up your 1200 calories through healthy, nutritional mediums- nuts, fruits, grains, and hey, an amazing treat is a banana smoothie with some cocoa powder added- so good, still nutritional, and bananas help to fill you up because of their potassium!

My best advice is to learn more about nutrition as you go on your journey- keep the 1200 number in your mind, but also remember that while calories are important, giving your body the sustenance and nutrition it needs to function is also important, more important than anything. And don't let anyones negative comments impact you! You are doing so well, and you're doing an amazing thing for yourself. Keep it up xxx

Really good post.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Well said MelanieBester! :drinker:

+1 and +1 extra for being nicer to the trolls than I was in my posts that I deleted :tongue:

And also, to the OP: Don't let all the macro-nuts freak you out either. 1200 calories is no magic number that you'll die without, unless you're a body builder you won't waste away without your exactly 1.8 grams of protein or whatever, just try and eat mostly healthy food and count all the calories and you'll do fine. If you're way under, many good suggestions have been posted here. If you're a little under, make it up another day. Relax and love yourself!
  • melaniebester
    melaniebester Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks, and sorry for typos in that long post. I gotta stop writing big essays in the middle of the night.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Use whole milk in your morning smoothie instead of skim. Boom! You just added 56 calories (per 8oz) to your daily intake.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    How quickly some people forget what it's like to start making changes.

Either that or they just lack any sense and manners.

I'm guessing it's the latter.

OP you have gotten some great advice here. I would also suggest reading some of the stickied threads to give you a little bit of further guidance and begin to educate yourself on making sustainable changes that you can stick with long term.

Good luck.