Morbidly Obese and looking for support and help

Options
I am currently 22stone 7lbs and have half my body weight to lose, I am looking for people who are on a similar journey to share things with or people who an help inspire and motivate. I find it difficult to move, I have muscle and joint pain all over and am on a rather limited budget so can't afford gyms etc.

Any help/support would be appreciated, and willing to add to friends x

Stacey

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Reasonable calorie deficit, log your food accurately and honestly. Learn portion control, moderation, and patience. Find an activity you enjoy doing. Because it needs to be repeated have patience. You don't have to cut out any food groups, you can eat what you always have just less of it. Any changes you think of making, make sure you ask yourself... if it's something you can do forever, if it's not rethink the change. Also, don't try to be perfect go for consistent. 80% good choice and don't worry about the other 20%

Read these they will help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Good luck
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Here's some advice from someone who was in your position:

1) Log Accurately. Even if you don't log it, your body still knows you ate it.

2) It doesn't happen overnight. Be patient and it'll disappear.

3) If you fail on one day, write it off, get back on the wagon tomorrow. Don't do the whole "well this whole week is a write off"

4) Find things you like that are within your calories goals and it makes it much easier.

5) There is no shame in walking being your only form of exercise. Took me months before I was comfortable running and even now I have to wear an ankle brace because of the pressure my weight put on my joints.

Good luck.
  • Anahita_Swims
    Anahita_Swims Posts: 4,127 Member
    Options
    you can add me i went to the doctors last week and they weighted me and told me i was morbidly obese so i have about 56lbs to loose about the doctors said 4 stone that wouldn't have been so dishearting if i hadn't been working hard and lost 3 stone isn already :)
  • Anahita_Swims
    Options
    ps when i started i started with just going on a walk each week making 1 change at a time so i started with flat 4 mile walks in pretty places and i can now happly walk for 12ish miles un and down hills and scramble up cliffs :)

with diet i started buy cutting one things at a time first reduced sugars in my coffee then stopped drinking fizzy drinks and then squash focused on not eating to much processed food though if you read my diary its not great atm :)
  • staceysforster
    staceysforster Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am starting by walking, flat walks first so that it doesn't strain on my hips as much, as well as the food intake.
    I am scared.. does that make sense? I am scared people with poke fun at me, I am scared that I am so used to the person that I am that I will not like the person whom I am going to change into....
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I am starting by walking, flat walks first so that it doesn't strain on my hips as much, as well as the food intake.
    I am scared.. does that make sense? I am scared people with poke fun at me, I am scared that I am so used to the person that I am that I will not like the person whom I am going to change into....

I understand the fear, its normal when we are making a change. But if you don't decide to change everything all at once, it's really not that bad. While it was scary at the beginning, the fear of staying fat was scarier to me

When I started I was 285 lbs, I couldn't do any exercise. I was on medical restriction that I was only allowed to stand for 5 minutes at a time. What I could control was my calorie intake. Log your food, in the beginning focus just on the calories, once you get that under control you can start worrying about everything else.

Anyone that would make fun of you is not worth having in your life. One step at a time, one choice at a time. Read the links I gave earlier they will help.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options

3) If you fail on one day, write it off, get back on the wagon tomorrow. Don't do the whole "well this whole week is a write off"

4) Find things you like that are within your calories goals and it makes it much easier.

5) There is no shame in walking being your only form of exercise. Took me months before I was comfortable running and even now I have to wear an ankle brace because of the pressure my weight put on my joints.

Good luck.

+1

I will also add just start with small changes. Don't overwhelm yourself. I started by changing one thing at a time, first was calorie intake, then adding exercise, then switching my diet to not so many processed foods. I picked one thing at a time until it became a habit and something I naturally started doing. Then once I was comfortable I moved to the next. For exercise I could barely walk 5 minutes at my heaviest without my back and knees hurting and being in pain so that is where I started. I spent the whole first year of my journey walking. I started with 5 minutes and over the next year built up to an hour and increased pace. This can be done I promise you. It is going to take a lot of motivation and want on your end but it can be done :) Remember anytime you have a bad meal its a bad meal don't let the next one be or sabotage your whole day because you had one bad meal. Make the best you can of the rest of the day and start fresh tomorrow. As long as you never give up or never walk away you will never fail. Best of luck on your journey :)
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    1. Set your goal. "Eat healthy and exercise"

2. Remember that "what other thinks of you" is not important, what is important "is what you think of yourself".

3. Lifestyle change is most important. Weight will follow after that. Not the other way around.

Feel free to add me as friend.
  • Anahita_Swims
    Options
    I drive out into the middles of nowhere to walk i walked with a stick for a long time i still do on my bad days :) I even have one in my classroom for emergencies :) its hard not to feel judged but walkers are really nice i mean really really nice they all say hello and mostly are 60+ so like to see people out and about :)
  • 185dengbiqi
    185dengbiqi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am in the same position and i used to weigh 21 stone 4 and now i am down to 17.6 stone but i am finding its so difficult to be motivated, I do leslie sansone 3 mile to 5 mile walk at home you can find the full workouts on youtube, i love it because i can do it at home and theres not lots of complicated dance moves just walking and side stepping, sometimes i do it in my pjs.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Hi!

You've been given some great advice already and the links provided really are worth reading.

Just take it one day at a time, don't slash your calories drastically.
    Make small doable changes.
    Don't stress about not being able to exercise much yet, that will come gradually in time and you don't need to exercise to lose weight. Right now all you need to do to start with is calculate your TDEE (see the sexy pants guide in the links provided) and make a sensible deduction from that.....small steps at the start will pay off big time in the long run.

So often people rush in, slash their calories to nothing, exercise like a mad thing, then wonder why after a month, their weighloss has stalled, they feel like death, their hair and nails are falling apart and because they hardly eat anything they can't cut their calories or increase their exercise so they give up.
    Please don't be another one of those.

Be patient, be kind to yourself and the results will come. :smile:

Take a look at my profile and if you'd like to add me just drop me a message.
  • midwestdawn
    midwestdawn Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Sometimes (not often) when I'm out walking people yell unkind thinks to me as they drive by...I wear headphones now.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    everyone has already given you such great advice already but feel free to add me on here. I log in daily and keep an open diary and don't worry what anyone else thinks, this is your journey. stick the positive people on here and ignore the immature ones.:smile:
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Log all that you eat and drink on your MFP diary. Get some good supportive friends on MFP and make sure that you support them also as it is a two way thing, You will be surprised how motivated that make you when someone gives you positive feed back. Have an open diary so that your friends can help you with food choices and and alternatives. It takes a little while to get used to the site but if you have friends on here they will help you out. You have come to the right place for one it is free and very supportive the best things to get you started

very good luck

Carol:smile:
  • JulieFinn
    JulieFinn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Add me, please! I'll try my best to give you encouragement!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere and anyone that is unkind to you for it is an ignorant *kitten*. I run on a treadmill in my garage to avoid having an audience at this point.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options

Good luck.

This man knows what he's talking about....if you listen to this great advice from a person with an amazing success story, then like him, you will be walking yourself into much happier and healthier future :flowerforyou:
  • LibertyBelle_75
    LibertyBelle_75 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been in your shoes! When I started my journey two years ago, I was classified at super morbidly obese. Today I'm classified as overweight, and as strange as it sounds, I couldn't be happier. I still have about 25 pounds left to lose but I know I'll get to "normal" eventually. It has not been easy though! I've had days when I've just wanted to throw in the towel. I've often questioned why I have to work so hard at managing my weight while others just seem to skate through life unscathed. I've had days/weeks/months where I completely went off plan. But I keep on keeping on, and this is the mantra I've coined for myself: I might slip up, but I will NEVER give up.

Listen to these great folks of MFP; they've offered some great advice here! You've got this! :)
  • Lettee4
    Lettee4 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi, i've sent you a friend request :)

i started off morbidly obese and now im obese. i lost the majority of my weight so far from not going to the gym. i'd say weight loss is 90% diet, 10% exercise, so just do what you can exercise-wise :). i say just majorly focus on sticking to a diet plan that suits you rather than worrying about being in pain from exercise if thats an issue for you :).

i didnt join a gym until this year, before that i lost heaps of weight just going for walks, did yoga from youtube videos, and i bought a couple of weights and gave my best shot at jillian michaels 30 day shred workouts which are also on youtube. it is possible to get fit on a budget :)
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    i didnt join a gym until this year, before that i lost heaps of weight just going for walks

I remember Stephen Fry saying he lost an absolute tons of weight just walking continuously whilst listening to audiobooks!

image-1-for-celebrity-weight-loss-gallery-997492020.jpg