Keto diet

Options
I've been on a keto diet for about 4 days and everytime i stand up from laying down i get really dizzy and have to stand still for about 5-10seconds. i haven't gone over 10grams of carbs. i also want to know if im in ketosis already?

Replies

• gmstarr1
    gmstarr1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough calories, and 10 grams a carb a day sounds a bit low. I had that problem for a few days when I first started, and it went away when I upped my calories.

There's several calculators out there that will estimate your protein, fat, and carb percentages. I did that, and I followed it, and the dizzy problems went away.

As far as whether or not you're in ketosis, there's test strips you can buy to tell, but I've never worried about it so I don't know anything about them.

Good luck!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    There really is no reason to go on a keto diet. It won't help you lose more fat, it will just help wtih water weight. Which goes away on its own when you drink more water anyways.

Calculate your TDEE, eat enough calories (20% below TDEE), eat more than 10g of carbs because you're obviously lacking in micronutrients as well as macronutrients now.
  • PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    There really is no reason to go on a keto diet. It won't help you lose more fat, it will just help wtih water weight. Which goes away on its own when you drink more water anyways.

Calculate your TDEE, eat enough calories (20% below TDEE), eat more than 10g of carbs because you're obviously lacking in micronutrients as well as macronutrients now.
    Nothing like being supportive. :)

A ketogenic diet does have a theromogenic advantage. Between that and helping with satiety, it is ideal for weight loss.
    It isn't everything, but neither are calories in/calories out.
    I believe one needs to watch both.

To the OP: You likely need much more salt than what you were eating on a standard American Diet. Phinney and Volek suggest sodium (not salt, sodium) in the range of 3000 mg - 5000 mg per day. You also need to take in adequate potassium, magnesium, calcium, zinc and D3. A good B vitamin is also suggested.
    Unfortunately, after the initial phases of being in ketosis, KetoStix may not be accurate, here is an article that explains why:
    http://ketopia.com/why-you-need-to-stop-worrying-about-the-color-of-your-ketostix/

This is why some use blood ketone meters and/or newer breath ketone analyzers (Ketonix.com, I think, is the only one on the market as of now).
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I've been on a keto diet for about 4 days and everytime i stand up from laying down i get really dizzy and have to stand still for about 5-10seconds. i haven't gone over 10grams of carbs. i also want to know if im in ketosis already?

Postural Hypotension - increase your salt intake to compensate for the loss of sodium to urine when on reduced carb intake.

Keto 101 really, you need your salt.
  • karenhs2
    Options
    Agree, you must get your salt and even more fluid than on a lowfat diet.

Keto rocks! I love this way of eating. I never have to be hungry. I can get something that works anywhere, even a convenience store. And I have finally slain the emotional eating beastie.

I don't worry about measuring ketones. I am doing this for life and look at how I feel, mood stability, clothes fitting, pounds on scale. Use more than one kind of measurement. People often lose inches before pounds on keto.
  • activeinmysixties
    Options
    Just picked up "Keto Clarity" by Jimmy Moore. If you are into podcasts I can recommend "The Ask Prof Noakes podcast" and "Livin la vida low carb' with Jimmy Moore.
  • garnerish
    garnerish Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Never did keto, so not an expert, but when I was looking into it as an option I heard about something referred to as "Keto flu" where you feel a bit low energy for a while after starting as your body adjusts to it.

Might be to do with that?
  • There really is no reason to go on a keto diet. It won't help you lose more fat,

Ah, yes it will help you lose more fat...
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

useful site to help find macro balance on Ketogenic plan

There is also a MFP group called Keto , you can find it by searching for keto in groups tab and get advice there.

edit
    Regarding how it can help lose fat.
    Yes a calorie deficit leads to fat loss. For me a ketogenic lifestyle helps me sustain a calorie deficit because eating high fat low carb reduces hunger and cravings. It works for people who are carb sensitive and find they are usually so hungry on calorie deficit that they end up giving up. If you are not carb sensitive and can sustain a deficit while eating moderate to high carb then yes no advantage for you on a ketogenic plan. For those of us who are very carb sensitive a ketogenic plan is brilliant.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    There really is no reason to go on a keto diet. It won't help you lose more fat,

with a mixed carb diet of the same deficit, no it will not.
  • polarduke
    polarduke Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Dietary ketosis does force the body to burn fat cells for energy instead of glucose as the krebs cycle is modified based on the adjusted nutritional intake. My experience with this (and likely many others) is that a keto diet would be especially helpful in weight loss for someone who is already insulin resistant and/or has displayed metabolic syndrome symptoms.

Many will attest that when we already have a tendency to store higher amounts of refined carbs and sugar intake as body fat, a simple calorie deficit while maintaining the same or even just slightly lower ration of bad carbs does not produce the results one is looking for.

Also, we know that being in ketosis does not automatically mean we are losing weight (calories count too) and that we can still lose plenty of weight w/o being in ketosis on a lower carb diet.

One of the best books ever on this subject, well balanced and reasonable approach to lower carb eating is this one:
    "Living Low Carb: Controlled-Carbohydrate Eating for Long-Term Weight Loss" by Jonny Bowden
  • There really is no reason to go on a keto diet. It won't help you lose more fat, it will just help wtih water weight. Which goes away on its own when you drink more water anyways.

A ketogenic diet does have a theromogenic advantage. Between that and helping with satiety, it is ideal for weight loss.

To the OP: You likely need much more salt than what you were eating on a standard American Diet. Phinney and Volek suggest sodium (not salt, sodium) in the range of 3000 mg - 5000 mg per day. You also need to take in adequate potassium, magnesium, calcium, zinc and D3. A good B vitamin is also suggested.
    Unfortunately, after the initial phases of being in ketosis, KetoStix may not be accurate, here is an article that explains why:
    http://ketopia.com/why-you-need-to-stop-worrying-about-the-color-of-your-ketostix/

This is why some use blood ketone meters and/or newer breath ketone analyzers (Ketonix.com, I think, is the only one on the market as of now).
    You want to know what's ideal for weight loss? Caloric deficit. It doesn't have to be Keto. It does not have some magical properties like you may think. Another good idea would be for people to actually research things before they do them because if the OP would have she/he would know that under 10g of carbs is unnecessary and pretty dumb.
    There really is no reason to go on a keto diet. It won't help you lose more fat,

And how exactly is it going to make you lose more fat than a standard caloric deficit. Please come back with a good answer not nonsense.

If by a 'standard' caloric deficit you mean I eat sugary food all day but keep it to a set calorie deficit, you would not necessarily lose weight as effeciently. Ketosis means your body is burning fat for fuel. If you are carb loading, even though you are keeping your calories down, your body is burning through all of the glucose first before it even thinks about burning up fat. For a lot of people this makes all the difference. We have all known someone who eats 'healthy' food all day and knocks themselves out in the gym but complains they can't lose weight. The healthy food (and it might well be a 'calorie deficit' is banana's, wholemeal toast, rice, starchy vegetables, and things like high sugar low fat 'healthy' snack bars etc. Their body is so busy burning through the sugar it never gets a chance to burn the fat. It is well documented that a keto diet will get weight off faster and more efficiently than just watching how much you eat but eating mostly carbs. And there really is no need to march around here talking like your'e the forum police. It's not nonsense, it's my opinion based on my own experience and lots of research.
  • There really is no reason to go on a keto diet. It won't help you lose more fat, it will just help wtih water weight. Which goes away on its own when you drink more water anyways.

You want to know what's ideal for weight loss? Caloric deficit. It doesn't have to be Keto. It does not have some magical properties like you may think. Another good idea would be for people to actually research things before they do them because if the OP would have she/he would know that under 10g of carbs is unnecessary and pretty dumb.

And how exactly is it going to make you lose more fat than a standard caloric deficit. Please come back with a good answer not nonsense.

If by a 'standard' caloric deficit you mean I eat sugary food all day but keep it to a set calorie deficit, you would not necessarily lose weight as effeciently. Ketosis means your body is burning fat for fuel. If you are carb loading, even though you are keeping your calories down, your body is burning through all of the glucose first before it even thinks about burning up fat. For a lot of people this makes all the difference. We have all known someone who eats 'healthy' food all day and knocks themselves out in the gym but complains they can't lose weight. The healthy food (and it might well be a 'calorie deficit' is banana's, wholemeal toast, rice, starchy vegetables, and things like high sugar low fat 'healthy' snack bars etc. Their body is so busy burning through the sugar it never gets a chance to burn the fat. It is well documented that a keto diet will get weight off faster and more efficiently than just watching how much you eat but eating mostly carbs. And there really is no need to march around here talking like your'e the forum police. It's not nonsense, it's my opinion based on my own experience and lots of research.
    If you are in a caloric deficit you will burn fat. Just because your body will utilize first it doesn't mean you won't burn fat. If someone is eating all "healthy" for and are in a deficit they will burn fat same goes if you eat a mix of "healthy" and what you might call unhealthy foods. If you're not losing weight you are not in a deficit.

If that's what works for you good luck to you. My experience has always been that I will lose weight on a calorie deficit, but no where near as consistently and efficiently as when I cut carbs.
  • You see a bigger weight loss at first but that's not your burning more than if you weren't on keto. Less carbs = Reduced glycogen.

If you're not losing fat as effective then you need to reevaluate your logging.

If it was so effective for you then why did you come here this month with 50 lbs to lose?

It was 'so effective' that I lost 66lbs on keto. I went OFF it and regained, and now have to lose what I had left to lose plus what I re-gained eating carbs. So, yes, it was "so effective" for me.

Let me know what your experience on keto is, it doesnt sound like you've ever tried it. Many many people report that they were stuck on a plateau and then consumed the exact same amount of calories but reduced carbs and the weight started coming off again. Plus, a calorie reduced normal to high carb diet most likely wont result in fat loss for anyone with PCOS or insulin resistance. Ketosis is the body using it's own fat for fuel. It's a much more effective way to lose weight than maintaining carb content but cutting calories, for more reasons than just fat loss. There is also a reduction in hunger, more energy and so on.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

If you are in a caloric deficit you will burn fat. Just because your body will utilize first it doesn't mean you won't burn fat. If someone is eating all "healthy" for and are in a deficit they will burn fat same goes if you eat a mix of "healthy" and what you might call unhealthy foods. If you're not losing weight you are not in a deficit.

If that's what works for you good luck to you. My experience has always been that I will lose weight on a calorie deficit, but no where near as consistently and efficiently as when I cut carbs.
    You see a bigger weight loss at first but that's not your burning more than if you weren't on keto. Less carbs = Reduced glycogen.

If you're not losing fat as effective then you need to reevaluate your logging.

If it was so effective for you then why did you come here this month with 50 lbs to lose?

SOO who exactly has appointed you MFP diet police?? Seriously? Live and let live and support people instead of being so quick to judge!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    So when I had these symptoms it was due to dehydration. Keto DOES release water better. So drink more water and make sure you get in the sodium, potassium and magnesium.