How to get my butt to the gym?

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You mean as opposed to skipping it? Do you also skip brushing your teeth or taking a shower so you can sleep in later?

There are consequences for not working out, just as there's consequences for not showering or brushing your teeth. There's no "I don't feel like it" in my house. You do it because that's what you are supposed to do.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym. But as soon as my kids head out the door, I get into my shoes and hop on the elliptical for 30 minutes. then I go grab my weights and do my strength training, take a slight break and then do my pilates, squats and reverse crunches. Shower then begin my day.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    i have things set up so that i hit the gym on my way home from work. it's actually a really easy detour, and spending 45-60 minutes at the gym means the worst of the rush hour traffic clears up by the time i'm heading home. there are multiple locations, so even on nights when i have something else going on, there's still a gym i can go to after work.

i keep my gym bag in the car so that no matter what, it's always with me. on the days when i need to do laundry or swap clothes, i'll put the bag right in front of the door so i don't forget it.

it's basically just a matter of building the time into your schedule, and then making sure that going is a good experience rather than one you hate. if you enjoy it, it becomes a positive reinforcement and you're more likely to build it into a habit rather than a once-in-a-while thing. just remember that making the small goals of going each day (or every other day, whichever you're going to do) and accomplishing it makes it that much easier to do it again the next time.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    If you go, it will follow. You might have to walk sideways to get through the door, depending on size.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    When you want to do it, you just do.

Everyone has their own way.

I would pack and have a bag ready, but I'd always double-check to make sure I had what I needed, so I'm not sure why I bothered packing.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Find a time that works for you. First thing in the morning is a bad time for me, but it might be a great time for you. I prefer at night, but you might not. All that matters is that its the best time for you.

Then make it something non-negotiable in your schedule. I find that if I put the thought in my head that "its ok to skip today, I can just make up for it tomorrow" that it leads me to stopping altogether. There is no makeup for today. Today is today and tomorrow is tomorrow. Taking an extra rest day is ok sometimes, but there are no redos.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Just start doing it, and eventually it will become routine. I used to go after work, and half of the time I would skip because I had a long day and didn't want to go. I am NOT a morning person, but I recently started going in the morning before work. The first few times I had to basically have my husband drag myself there, now it is just my routine and I never skip morning workouts. Also, not letting yourself let you skip, like someone else said, treat it like a job, you have to go. Don't let skipping happen, and your excuse for skipping is probably not very good, so stop making excuses. Good luck!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I recommend teleportation. Your mind needs exercise too!
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If you're really lazy, like me, start small. I mean really small!

When I started working out I only worked out like ten minutes on the treadmill the first week. I even started out at only 1 minute two years ago, for the first two weeks, maybe three! LOL!

Your mind and body may be overwhelmed if you start out too big or think too big.

Good luck!

I agree with the advice above, it was a mental challenge for me at first, I was SO out of shape that the thought of exercising was scary because I felt like I couldn't do anything that was actually going to be a "workout". I got freaked out trying to create a perfect exercise regimen than I didn't do anything.

Pick something, and get going.
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Easy. Get in your car and drive to the gym.

Working out is something I look forward to. I go each night and it helps me to relax.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    it takes 6 weeks to form a new habit. so in those first 6 weeks, you will have to push yourself to do something new. It takes time making something a routine. Just go do it.
  • sino19
    sino19 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I have the same problem. BUMP
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I have my gym bag in my car ALWAYS. Packed with all the options, including a bathing suit.

I schedule time on my calendar.

Over time, it will become part of your routine. Heck, you will start to look forward to it.

I have a stressful job, and have found that lifting all the weights in the gym really helps me process my day. It has become to the point that when I DON'T go the gym, I feel sh!tty.

ETA: Set goals for yourself. Small, manageable steps increase your likelihood of success. Goal #1: get to the gym X # of times per week. Do 10 minutes. You will find that you will almost always overshoot your goal this way. Good luck!
  • Cfkearney
    Cfkearney Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It's easy for some people to stop making excuses and go. It wasn't for me. And even when I went I didn't push myself to my limits. I thought I was but I wasn't. I signed up with a personal trainer. It is kind of expensive, but I know I'm doing the exercises right (I'm also a newb) and I know I'm pushing myself to my limits because she has more confidence in my abilities than I do. :) Also, its on my schedule. Having someone I'm accountable to helps a lot. Accountable to being there on time, pushing myself, and to stick to an eating plan that will help me get the results I'm working for in the gym.
  • brewinggirl_butskinnier
    Options
    I play mental games with myself. If I'm feeling really unmotivated and tired, I make a deal. Well just start the workout...if you feel *really* crappy after 10 minutes...you can quit.

But honestly, once I'm 10 minutes into it, I pretty much never quit. I think the only time I did (in years) I stopped and went to go puke. So...yeah. Probably shouldn't have been working out that day lol.

I do have my workouts on my calendar and I think that helps as well.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I go right after work, have my gymbag in the car, and just drive there. Sometimes I'm just in there for 15 minutes, but I'm building the habit
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have actually thought of going to bed in my workout clothes so there would be one less thing to do in the morning. Short of that, I make sure I have EVERYTHING ready the night before...down to my keys..water is in the fridge, my little fanny pack I take is ready. My shoes are even untied- clothes are ready to go, coffee is programmed to perk just before I get up so I can have a cup before I go. I go to the gym around 4:30 or 5 in the morning. It works best for me... Good luck! :smile:
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I've been working out six days a week for years. I have another (my 8th marathon) next year. Working out/going to the gym is like remembering to brush my teeth. Its a healthy habit. If I don't, I feel icky. If you have a problem "remembering" you need to make it a priority on your to do list for the day, like showering. Pack your clothes the night before if need be. Work your schedule around going yo the gym (if you need to be up earlier to get it in, so be it).
  • TiffieLand
    Options
    If you can't go to the gym then make your home the gym. I hate going to gym because I have to bring clothes,walk,change, don't have time to study blah blah excuses so I don't have to go so I just do it at home.
  • JDearman143
    JDearman143 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I HAVE to go right after work.. Cause once I'm home, I'm home.. So, I pack my gym clothes with me to work.. Put them on after I clock off and drive myself to the gym to get it done.. And I try not to let myself think about where I'm heading! lol

Another thing that helps is my 3 year old son.. He LOVES going to the gym daycare and playing.. So, I kiss him good bye when I'm dropping him off at daycare in the morning and get him excited to go the the gym when mama gets done with work so that way mentally I know he's expecting to go and I can't let my boy down.. =)