Soda/Pop/Coke...whatever you call it!

Options
2»

Replies

• JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I cut out pop in May. I've had 3 or 4 since then but I account for the calories. I can't drink diet pop. It tastes nasty to me and if I'm going to go for it, I'm going for the hard stuff. But I rather eat my calories than drink them so I don't do it often
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    First of all, soda is not good for us in any form. Second, there are scientific indications that fake sugars such as aspartame etc are triggering responses in our body that are not desirable. I believe weight gain or impaired weight loss is one, but I'm not a scientist so I don't want to make exaggerated claims.

My suggestion to you is that soda tastes far better in its form as intended with real sugars. Budget for it in your calories and therefore you are owning up to your bad habit. This way, you either choose to drink your soda and perhaps are a bit more hungry, or you choose to eat more food and make the conscious decision that despite its great taste, soda is only worth it once in a while. I do this and I never have to feel guilty about drinking Pepsi because I know I'm making a conscious decision and I will take responsibility for it.

Would really like to see this scientific data that you speak of....... I have research drinking diet sodas for the past 5 years since a began this journey and have not read one peer reviewed study stating that drinking diet soda in moderate amounts will harm you in any way.....

I have an auto immune disease , diet soda causes inflammation which gives me pain. So it harms me, and I believe with out a shadow of a doubt that it is harmful to others as well. My Rhemy suggested to her other patients that I found that diet drinks cause pain, they stopped drinking it and found the same thing.

Regular soda, with real sugar, in moderation, will not harm you either.
    People with a peanut allergy will die if they eat peanuts. That doesn't make peanuts harmful to people without an allergy. Similarly, your medical condition is the reason diet soda may be harmful for you, that doesn't make it harmful for people without that condition.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    It depends on whether the sweet taste triggers your cravings. For some of us it does. If you find yourself wanting to munch through your bread box upon having drunk a Diet Coke, you are among those of us for whom cutting it out makes life easier. There is epidemiologic data confirming that as artificial sweetener consumption rises in a population so does weight but not much biological data confirming it. For some of us, however, it is demonstrably true that artificial sweeteners make us ravenous. Only you will know if that is true for you.

For more info see:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/
  • Cfkearney
    Cfkearney Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I almost never drink soda - but on the days where I seem ravenously hungry, I'll drink a diet soda or a 10 calorie soda. The carbonation bloat helps me feel full. HAHA Not so good got the pants for but the bloat goes a way faster than calories. Unless you're going to the gym right away I guess....then the bubbles might be a good thing either.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this question has been asked before, but can anyone tell me whether drinking DIET soda hinders weight loss and if so, how? I've seen a lot of posts about people who are going to quit drinking soda but they don't say whether it's regular or diet. Thanks in advance! :)

No, it does not hinder weight loss.

It is probably a good idea to try to switch out some diet soda for water, especially if you think you may be getting too much caffeine, but in the long run it really doesn't matter except in the budget. Buying all of those cans and/or bottles, hauling them into your home, and needing to recycle the empties can be a bit expensive compared to tap water.

Common sense and moderation.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    First of all, soda is not good for us in any form. Second, there are scientific indications that fake sugars such as aspartame etc are triggering responses in our body that are not desirable. I believe weight gain or impaired weight loss is one, but I'm not a scientist so I don't want to make exaggerated claims.

My suggestion to you is that soda tastes far better in its form as intended with real sugars. Budget for it in your calories and therefore you are owning up to your bad habit. This way, you either choose to drink your soda and perhaps are a bit more hungry, or you choose to eat more food and make the conscious decision that despite its great taste, soda is only worth it once in a while. I do this and I never have to feel guilty about drinking Pepsi because I know I'm making a conscious decision and I will take responsibility for it.

Would really like to see this scientific data that you speak of....... I have research drinking diet sodas for the past 5 years since a began this journey and have not read one peer reviewed study stating that drinking diet soda in moderate amounts will harm you in any way.....

I have an auto immune disease , diet soda causes inflammation which gives me pain. So it harms me, and I believe with out a shadow of a doubt that it is harmful to others as well. My Rhemy suggested to her other patients that I found that diet drinks cause pain, they stopped drinking it and found the same thing.

People with a peanut allergy will die if they eat peanuts. That doesn't make peanuts harmful to people without an allergy. Similarly, your medical condition is the reason diet soda may be harmful for you, that doesn't make it harmful for people without that condition.

My point is it causes inflammation, which is harmful to people. Just because everyone can not feel it like I can, does not mean it does not do harm.

Here are a few links to some of those pesky scientific studies:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130108162135.htm
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20592133
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2013/01/30/ajcn.112.050997.abstract
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/97/1/155.abstract
    http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/4/688.short
    http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/117/6/754.full.pdf+html

Cheerio
  • my_2_cents
    my_2_cents Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Please post the studies on this. I want to see them.

Ok, I guess I have to eat my own words. I've read plenty of negative things about artificial sweeteners in the past, but now that you challenged me to find them, It appears government researchers in various countries have debunked most of the claims of negative health outcomes associated with artificial sweeteners.

I stand by my claim that soda's in general are not healthy and it should be a treat...and that regular sodas taste better than diet. I still prefer my method of controlling my intake of them by owning up to the calories of a regular soda. I did not spend extensive time on research on this today, so there may still be links to weight gain vs loss, I just looked for safety information in general quickly and found nothing negative from reputable sources today.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options

My point is it causes inflammation, which is harmful to people. Just because everyone can not feel it like I can, does not mean it does not do harm.

Here are a few links to some of those pesky scientific studies:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130108162135.htm
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20592133
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2013/01/30/ajcn.112.050997.abstract
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/97/1/155.abstract
    http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/4/688.short
    http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/117/6/754.full.pdf+html

Cheerio
    Um I hate to break it to you but of those studies only http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/4/688.short and http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2013/01/30/ajcn.112.050997.abstract reached any conclusion of harm following the use of aspartame soft drinks. Two didn't even include them as a data point so we can throw those out, one did mention further study though as a possible link. The pregnancy one does link it to preterm risks requiring further study but as they don't mention caffeine a known pregnancy risk I'm not sure how well set up or controlled this one was. The depression article was studying all sweetened drinks and didn't differentiate between regular sugar and artificial in its findings. And the two potentially linking it to type 2 Diabetes both require further study as they can't say for sure if its a cause.
  • fitwithin
    fitwithin Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    All I know is that when I stopped drinking regular Dr. Pepper, I lost 30 pounds. Then when I stopped drinking Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Cokes and cut out artificial sweeteners, I also lost 10 pounds. It probably depends on how much you drink it. I was addicted to both and had about 5 or 6 a day. It prevented me from drinking the water I needed to drink. Now that I am drinking lots of water with lemon and tea, I feel so much better. Everything in moderation. Try doing without as much and see how you feel. I have more energy without it. I never realized that after the high, there was a low in the afternoon. Best of luck.
  • seglass1
    seglass1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi

I read research that said the fake sugar in diet drinks is not only bad for you but it has the same effect as sugar in that it stimulates appetite. I go to a weight watcher group and people agreed the 'fake sugar' made you crave more.
    I converted to 'La Criox' or any club soda with a hint of lemon or lime - really refreshing cold and No Sodium or other bad stuff just pure and simpe which is the way all food should be! Try it:happy:
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    It did not hinder my progress (diet mt dew and diet coke) but went cold turkey soon into my WOE because i wanted to start drinking more water. Still have my cup of coffee in the morning though... not giving that up.

There is a lot of debate on the pluses and minuses of diet soda. I tend to follow the comments above. It's less chemicals in my body that I don't need.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I don't know about diet soda, but I drink regular soda (specifically Coke) at least once a week, and I've lost weight. I've heard diet soda is bad cuz of the fake sugars they use, but who knows. I can't really stand the taste of diet soda anyways. :drinker:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    No - diet soda does not hinder weight loss for most. For some it causes cravings, but that means nothing. You either give in to the cravings after you drink a diet soda, you don't give in to them, or you cut out the diet soda. I drink it and it causes me no cravings.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    This is kinda like a "Lite Beer" vs. "Regular Beer" type debate......

I've personally cut out "Lite Beer" and go with a full flavor beer and I've found if I go with a darker beer, I get intoxicated faster.....and drink less.......so it's a win-win there for me ;) I'll down 12 Bud "Lights" before I "feet it" - whereas, It'll only take 2 or 3 darker, beers and I get so full and bloated I can't drink anymore and they gotta roll me out lol.

It's about the same concept I believe ;)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I haven't found that drinking or not drinking diet soda makes a difference to my weight loss (and I wouldn't expect it to) or how I feel, although I prefer not to overdo the diet soda. It does not give me cravings or seem to cause me to want to eat more.

Back when I cut it out I didn't cut out coffee (which I like black) and probably ended up having a bit more caffeine, as well as more straight water.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I lost over 20 pounds last year while drinking diet soda pretty much every day. I've read that it can make you crave sweets, and I did experience that occasionally. But I don't have issues with sweets so when that happened, I just ate a small piece of candy and was fine. I suppose if this were an issue for you, it could affect your weight. But in general, diet soda shouldn't affect your weight loss.

Drinking regular soda will since it's so high in calories, although if you ate less food to offset it, I suppose you could drink as much regular soda as you wanted to. You might be hungry though. I'm guessing when people say they gave up soda to help with weight loss, they're generally talking about regular soda. That was one of the first things I changed when I went on a diet for the first time many years ago.
  • dcamell
    dcamell Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 liters a day. I'm not calling that healthy, but I got on it at a young age due to insulin dependent diabetes (sweet pop spikes my sugars, which makes me feel awful.) I haven't curbed it since I started losing in January, and things seem to be working out.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Not one peer-reviewed scientific study exists that proves diet soda is the cause of weight gain or any human illness. Not one.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Those studies don't support your conclusion at all...

ta ta
  • nomorecakeKP
    nomorecakeKP Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! I will continue to indulge in my 1 bottle of diet mountain dew a day. I look forward to it and am glad I don't have to cut it ou!