Is jogging the best exercise for fat loss?

Options
I have been trying to lose weight for a while. I tried different workout options: spinning, strength, interval, Pilates. But what really helped me was jogging. Always combined with diet.
I notice a big difference specially on the belly. It is like the fat is melting out of my body. I jog at a slow pace, and I think keep my heart rate between 142 and 150 made a big difference.

Anyone else had experienced the same? I lost 15 lbs in 60 weeks.

Thanks

Replies

• Kaiminator
    Kaiminator Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Jogging definitely works for me. I don't monitor my heart rate but run for 30 minutes at a pace of 12km/hr (7.4565mph). It's helped me loose 8kg (17.637lbs) in about 6 weeks (6 lunar orbiting periods).
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the best exercise is creating a calorie deficit
    exercise should be regarded more for fitness because consistent exercise is in no way a guarantee that you will lose weight if you arent creating a deficit
  • stevenlcopeland
    stevenlcopeland Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    142 to 150 hr will definitely burn calories and if that works for you that ifs great. I'm 53 and I maintain 165 to 170 hr for an hour except on Saturdays then I go 3.5 hours at a 160 to 165 pace. I know what the book's say. I'm suppose to be at 150 hr. Too boring for me. I do all this doing HIIT and Spin. I do not jog. My knees are in excellent shape and have seen way too many people tear their knees up jogging. They are now in my Spin classes and yes spinning in pain.
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I hate boring activities. Instead of jogging consider going on a hike. Hiking through woods is so much more fun,peaceful, and relaxing. According to this site it also almost burns as much as jogging. Although I guess the downside is if you don't live near the woods you would have to go out of your way.
  • Simonepeco
    Options
    I live on a flat Caribbean Island. We have very few options. No mountains.
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    I like water jogging. Less stress on your knees. I do about 45 minutes a few times a week
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Jogging is definitely a high cardio activity, but I think most people can get great results also from lower impact cardio activities also.
  • tiggerGlasgow
    tiggerGlasgow Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm going to upset dome people here, cardio is not the best exercise for fat loss.

Shockingly it is strength training (either with heavy weights or bodyweight). Cardio has its place, but it doesn't need to be running or jogging. As you lose weight you also lose muscle mass, great on the scale but not so great for your metabolism. Muscle is more expensive to run than fat and requires more calories to maintain it. therefore if you can preserve (or even increase) the amount of muscle that you have, you will be able to continue losing weight on a larger number of calories than if you continue to lose muscle mass as well as fat.

The type of cardio you do matters for fat loss HITT (high intensity interval training) is optimal, but at the end of the day, the best exercise for fat loss is the type you enjoy and can sustain.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    at the end of the day, the best exercise for fat loss is the type you enjoy and can sustain.
    ^ This
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    honestly I think anything that gets you sweating and your heart rate up is the "best exercise for fat loss" What works and what is appealing to one is not going to be for another person. The end results are the same so just do it like nike says and enjoy it whatever you choose to do.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Any exercise you do will increase your calorie deficit, but losing fat starts with an appropriate diet.
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Funny you should mention that... I did the same thing with jogging. I changed my diet and lost the first few pounds... then lost even more when I started to jog.
  • dwozniak16
    dwozniak16 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of weight training, and everyone says that I really need to get a jump on that and be more serious about it.
    But I enjoy cardio and jogging way more. I jog usually 5x a week for 30 minutes to an hour at a time. That in combination with a calorie deficit I've managed to lose 33 pounds in 51 days. So if you enjoy it, keep at it. I'm going to try slowly getting into the weight training to tone up though, maybe 2-3x a week.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    jogging got me to my BMI and now just working on toning

29509743.png
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    at the end of the day, the best exercise for fat loss is the type you enjoy and can sustain.
    ^ This

Yup. Even if there was one exercise that was the best, if you can't get yourself to do it regularly, what's the point? I personally bike and take a few classes at the gym. I'd like to run, but I just can't motivate myself to go out and do it. So I don't.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is best for weight loss.

Jogging will increase your caloric expenditure so yes, it's great for losing. No one exercise is the BEST.
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    ^ This

Yup. Even if there was one exercise that was the best, if you can't get yourself to do it regularly, what's the point? I personally bike and take a few classes at the gym. I'd like to run, but I just can't motivate myself to go out and do it. So I don't.

All this is 100% true, but I think that's why running is considered such a good one. Once you break through that "OMG THIS HURTS" barrier and you start getting the runner's high, it becomes very peaceful and relaxing. Plus a nice run lets you just enjoy the scenery and sort of go into your own little world.

Of course it takes a good month or two to get to where it doesn't just plain suck
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I live on a flat Caribbean Island. We have very few options. No mountains.

Oh, I bet jogging around the island is not boring at all. It sounds pretty awesome.
  • dj1skywalker
    Options
    Jogging definitely works for me. I don't monitor my heart rate but run for 30 minutes at a pace of 12km/hr (7.4565mph). It's helped me loose 8kg (17.637lbs) in about 6 weeks (6 lunar orbiting periods).

Cute! :laugh: