My Success story, and advice for weight loss

Replies

• gotogirl81
    gotogirl81 Posts: 278 Member
    2m6v7f4.gif
  • 8sep2014
    8sep2014 Posts: 9 Member
    You're my hero! Congratulations on your success and thank you for sharing!
  • gotogirl81
    gotogirl81 Posts: 278 Member
    also.. OP, what does your daily diet consist of?

are you Vegan/vegetarian?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Junk food is junk food and should be avoided. Junk food is high in calories and has little to no nutritional value, and leaves your body starving for nutrition.
    If eaten in moderation, it's fine.
    The person won't "starve for nutrition" if their intake is otherwise healthy & they have a serving of potato chips or ice cream.
    If you don't have the self-control to handle eating in moderation, then yes, you have to completely avoid certain foods.
    That's really sad.
    Get away from Sugar! Artificial sugar, real sugar any kind of sugar. It's killing you.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23815799
    "nothing in the biochemistry suggests that sugar is a toxin."
    I just wanted to clarify my point about organic, if all you have access to is conventionally grown veg, its (sic) better than eating junk. But conventionally grown are often sprayed with toxic pesticides that the govt wants us to think are safe. Just like they want us to think the chemicals and other toxic ingredients they use in processed foods are safe. But there (sic) not, and frankly some of us dont (sic) care, or at least dont (sic) know. We are so addicted to them, that it doesnt (sic) matter. Even if they are making us chronicly (sic) ill, doctors will never tell you its (sic) the food your (sic) eating thats (sic) making you sick.
    Please post links to / citations from research which backs your opinions.
    You could start looking on PubMed, using the link to the study above, just put your search terms in the box at the top of the page.
  • Allegi32
    Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
    3630408.jpg
  • also.. OP, what does your daily diet consist of?

are you Vegan/vegetarian?

No I'm not vegan, or vegetarian. I eat meat also and try to get it from humanely raised, local farms when possible. My diet consists of mean fruit and veg. Healthy fats and nuts and seeds.
  • mswoodsy
    mswoodsy Posts: 91 Member
    Junk food is junk food and should be avoided. Junk food is high in calories and has little to no nutritional value, and leaves your body starving for nutrition.
    If eaten in moderation, it's fine.
    The person won't "starve for nutrition" if their intake is otherwise healthy & they have a serving of potato chips or ice cream.
    If you don't have the self-control to handle eating in moderation, then yes, you have to completely avoid certain foods.
    That's really sad.

yes and no, my opinion, i think people use the term "moderation" very liberally.
    its hard to determine how you specifically view the word....
    junk food should not be eaten every single day in small amounts.
    maybe one soda a month or a serving of chips a week. not a little bit every day.
    its called junk food for a reason.
    no you won't nutritionally starve from it BUT you certainly wont gain anything either
    and i'm much better off fueling my body with what it needs, not what it wants (craves) because she's right.

you don't fill a diesel truck with gasoline, and they run much cleaner on biodiesel.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Get away from Sugar! Artificial sugar, real sugar any kind of sugar. It's killing you. We consume way to much sugar. 2-3x as much as we consumed 100 years ago. (in some people even more than that)
    No I'm not vegan, or vegetarian. I eat meat also and try to get it from humanely raised, local farms when possible. My diet consists of mean fruit and veg. Healthy fats and nuts and seeds.
    There is a lot of real sugar in fruit.
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Great advice, OP. I have learned very similar things in the last six months, through trial and error. Eating fresh, whole foods is better than eating processed crap and sugar and leads to more sustainable weight loss. Eating everything in moderation certainly does not work for me! Congrats to you on your major loss and successful maintenance!
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Let's see.. she lost 144 pounds, so it obviously worked for her, just like it can work for others. There isn't just one way to do this.. do what works for you.

Good job OP and congrats on your loss!
  • angelabethb
    angelabethb Posts: 33 Member
    I totally agree with the first post! That's what I'm aiming for. I want natural foods to go into my body that fuel my energy and don't weigh me down. I've lost the first 18 pounds doing this and I hope it will continue! Thanks for sharing!
  • RET68
    RET68 Posts: 88
    Congrats OP, really great work. And, thank you for saying these sometimes unpopular truths.:flowerforyou: I get frustrated on the forum here. People say it's only calories in vs out, doesn't matter what they are. Which may even be true for them, but is definitely not true for me. We are not all the same: and contrary to current mythos, we are not machines. Some people can handle a little sugar, some of us like myself cannot handle, sugar, gluten, HFCS, vitamins, antidepressants, cruciferous vegetables, chicken (seriously, too much sulfur) and the toxins in non-organic foods will actually put one of my kids in anaphylaxis. So to those people who can exercise off cheeseburgers, chips, and soda- you should appreciate your body. For the rest of us, organic food, stable nutrition and avoiding frankenfoods and the medical industry is necessary. I don't find you tinfoil hattish, on the contrary, you are observant, insightful, and brave. :wink:
  • I totally agree with the first post! That's what I'm aiming for. I want natural foods to go into my body that fuel my energy and don't weigh me down. I've lost the first 18 pounds doing this and I hope it will continue! Thanks for sharing!

Great Job keep it up :-)
  • Congrats OP, really great work. And, thank you for saying these sometimes unpopular truths.:flowerforyou: I get frustrated on the forum here. People say it's only calories in vs out, doesn't matter what they are. Which may even be true for them, but is definitely not true for me. We are not all the same: and contrary to current mythos, we are not machines. Some people can handle a little sugar, some of us like myself cannot handle, sugar, gluten, HFCS, vitamins, antidepressants, cruciferous vegetables, chicken (seriously, too much sulfur) and the toxins in non-organic foods will actually put one of my kids in anaphylaxis. So to those people who can exercise off cheeseburgers, chips, and soda- you should appreciate your body. For the rest of us, organic food, stable nutrition and avoiding frankenfoods and the medical industry is necessary. I don't find you tinfoil hattish, on the contrary, you are observant, insightful, and brave. :wink:

Yes! :-)
  • Let's see.. she lost 144 pounds, so it obviously worked for her, just like it can work for others. There isn't just one way to do this.. do what works for you.

Good job OP and congrats on your loss!

Thank you very much. It's also not just about getting the weight off, there are lots if ways to lose weight. Learning how to keep it off is more tricky. Thanks for your encouragement
  • 0505jen
    0505jen Posts: 147 Member
    For myself the only way I am going to be able to go into maintenance is to not eliminate any foods.
    I have had success with this so far! Do I eat a lot of junk - no but I will not eliminate it.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    I'm glad for your success, and that you found something that works for you.

But I'm not eliminating anything. I know I can't stick to that for life. So I found a different thing that's working for me.
  • sbrookes9
    sbrookes9 Posts: 445 Member
    My biggest piece of advice, take it or leave it. Is this. Diets don't work! You have to make a change for life. You will have to eat this way for the rest of your life, and until you come to terms with that you won't succeed. You have to change your mind set from "I can't have that" to "I can have that but I don't want it"

Stop being obsessed with restricting calories.

The biggest lie you can tell you self is this : Everything in moderation is fine.
    NO!

Eat Whole Real Natural food. Grow up put your big girl/boy pants on. Eat vegetables. You may hate it at first. But your tastes WILL change. You have to heal your unhealthy relationship with food.

Stop saying eating healthy is to expensive, have you priced having cancer lately?
    If you can't afford Organic, do your best buy it when you can. Buy local, go to farmers markets. Do a little research.
    OR better yet grow your own. It's amazing what you can grow even in a little bit of dirt on a patio, or in pots!

You will lose weight, and experience an overall improvement of health issues you may have. When your body heals it heals completely!

Get away from Sugar! Artificial sugar, real sugar any kind of sugar. It's killing you. We consume way to much sugar. 2-3x as much as we consumed 100 years ago. (in some people even more than that)

Fat does not make you fat! - Sugar does! We live in a fat phobic society. Do some research and find out what's really making you fat. Carbohydrates from processed crap, and sugar.

You can't out exercise a bad diet, and until you get your eating under control you will never be successful!! Processed foods are full of chemicals, like MSG. These foods are designed to make you crave them! They create these foods in labs, to make people want them, so they will continue to buy them. They don't care about your health.

I have lost over 140lbs, and kept it off for 4 years. I may not be a doctor or a nutritionist, but I have read and read and read and trial and error of my own journey. and these are the basics of what I feel will help anyone be successful at losing weight. I won't reply back to arguments. This is just my own thoughts on weight loss.

Well said!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Very well said. . . Congrats on being able to maintain your weightloss. . That is a feat in itself!:bigsmile:
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Congrats OP, really great work. And, thank you for saying these sometimes unpopular truths.:flowerforyou: I get frustrated on the forum here. People say it's only calories in vs out, doesn't matter what they are. Which may even be true for them, but is definitely not true for me. We are not all the same: and contrary to current mythos, we are not machines. Some people can handle a little sugar, some of us like myself cannot handle, sugar, gluten, HFCS, vitamins, antidepressants, cruciferous vegetables, chicken (seriously, too much sulfur) and the toxins in non-organic foods will actually put one of my kids in anaphylaxis. So to those people who can exercise off cheeseburgers, chips, and soda- you should appreciate your body. For the rest of us, organic food, stable nutrition and avoiding frankenfoods and the medical industry is necessary. I don't find you tinfoil hattish, on the contrary, you are observant, insightful, and brave. :wink:

ABSOLUTELY TUTUELY. . . . . What a great way to state. . . Different things work for different people. . . There are so many ways to achieve your goals. . I think educating yourself and taking many different insights to what works for others in forming what works for you is a great way to come up with a good plan. . . There are so many things that take place in the body, and depending on genetics, allergies, health issues etc, the plan is not always going to be the same. . . :heart:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!