Advice for Ectomorph Gains

Options
2»

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Reduce workout frequency to 3 times per week. Stick with compound movements (deadlifts, squats etc). Perform lower reps higher weight with more rest between sets. Keep upping your food intake until you start to gain weight.

I kind of second this, but a good compromise would be a legs/push/pull split.

I like wendlers - it's 4 days with the main lifts (compound) being in the strength rep range and the assistance, whatever you like- I do 3x8 one week then 3x10 the next then 3x12 then I up the weight and go back to 8. Again though, I'm just finding my feet.

As to the 'healthy' snacks - screw that, I hit my protein and fat macros then have whatever I like (within cals). But healthyish: apple and peanut butter, cottage cheese or Greek yoghurt with oats and berries - far more fun is some Ben n jerry's or a snicker or whatever.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Ok, good to know.
    Thanks

I was thinking about trying it come bulk time (have 3.5 lbs to lose before I start again)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Ok, good to know.
    Thanks

I was thinking about trying it come bulk time (have 3.5 lbs to lose before I start again)

Ok, I need a partner, so come workout with me. :laugh: :laugh:
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Ok, good to know.
    Thanks

Pfft....YOU come up here and work out with ME!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Ok, good to know.
    Thanks

Pfft....YOU come up here and work out with ME!

LOL
    I like my gym though
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've done 2 bulks. 165>180, and 170>186. I'm currently cut back down to 165. I gained 1 lb. per week eating 3,000-3,300 cals both times. First bulk was 'clean' food and 2nd bulk was IIFYM. No difference in results. Gained plenty of fat both times. I followed a very simple SL5x5 routine on the 2nd bulk with some additional accessory work and saw some good strength gains. Can you share some pics? 6'6" 220 sounds pretty solid to me.

....and ice cream works great for adding in the extra calories.

A "clean" bulk just means a more conservative calorie surplus, not "clean" foods. You can do a "clean" or a "dirty" bulk on completely whole foods or on pizza, beer, and ice cream. Only difference is surplus.

Correct. I consider both of my previous bulks as 'clean' bulks where I gained 1 lb. per week on average (even though I ate ice cream, etc.).
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    There is a bit of disagreement on here regarding rep ranges for size gains. For a natural with poor genetics for size gains what is more important than high reps vs. low reps is consistent long term gradual increase in weight lifted. If you want to go higher reps (8 to 12) knock yourself out, but ultimately it is the consistent increases in weight over time that will do it for you. Getting stronger will make you bigger flat out.
  • mattyice1989
    mattyice1989 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for the input. I realized that I do actually take-in somewhere in the range of 3k calories per day but do want to up that.

What is the general opinion about pre-workout mixes? I've been taking a supplement called C4 and not sure if it's even worth it.
  • mabernier
    mabernier Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy proteins...lean chicken, nuts, add olive oil to your foods, etc.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Something I would like to try at some point (would help w/ a partner) is German Volume Training......

Looks interesting

I have a friend who did that--he got amazing results.

How long did he do it for?

It really intrigues me and I would like to do it....
    But I know I need a partner

I've done GVT several times and it's one of the worst hypertrohpy routines imo. Never will I do it again. It's hardly high volume and doesn't lend itself to progression

Then again, 10 sets of 10 reps is NOT what I consider volume. Volume to me is 14-24 sets, rep ranges between 5-20 reps. drop sets, rest pausing, forced stretching, supersetting, etc.

OP. You are eating in the 3000 Calorie range? There is your problem. For a man at your size, that is CUTTING consumption. I would lose 2-4 lbs a week doing that and you weigh slightly more than me. You have a large frame....I'd say 4000 minimum for a 6'6" guy to look muscular. And that's on the low end.

preworkout mixes are mostly good. Don't go crazy with it. It's a stimulant, know your body and heart health first.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    Just some quick info first: Somatotypes are a myth. They were created by a psychologist to categorize people based on behaviors.

With that aside, you want to gain size here's what you do:

Volume training: More sets in the range of 16 per body part
    Progress resistance: Up the weights when you can
    Calorie surplus: Can't gain without adding calories

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

correct me if I am wrong but I thought it was more sets like you suggest for the larger muscle groups, but less for smaller ones (i.e. biceps, assuming you don't count back work as targeting biceps)?
    16 sets for arms would be like 4 exercises for both biceps and triceps for 4 sets.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    There is a bit of disagreement on here regarding rep ranges for size gains. For a natural with poor genetics for size gains what is more important than high reps vs. low reps is consistent long term gradual increase in weight lifted. If you want to go higher reps (8 to 12) knock yourself out, but ultimately it is the consistent increases in weight over time that will do it for you. Getting stronger will make you bigger flat out.
    Not necessarily true. That's why a lot of power lifters who compete DON'T try to get bigger but stronger so they don't move out of their weight class. Doing doubles and triples will definitely increase strength, but again not necessarily size.

IDEA Fitness member
    Options
    I know the textbook stuff (sets of 8 to 12 for size, 5 or less for strength), but in reality over the long term if you get stronger over time you will get bigger over time no matter which rep scheme you choose. I have not seen a lot of small power lifters. Plus I think natural competing power lifters and bodybuilders are not that much different size wise. Where you see the difference is when athletes take drugs. But again I have not seen many small power lifters.

In addition legitimate power lifters don't strictly do sets of 2s and 3s.

One more thing, how big you get is very limited by genetics. If you have good genetics for size you will get big no matter which rep scheme you choose. If you don't you won't get that much bigger no matter which rep scheme you choose.
    Not necessarily true. That's why a lot of power lifters who compete DON'T try to get bigger but stronger so they don't move out of their weight class. Doing doubles and triples will definitely increase strength, but again not necessarily size.

IDEA Fitness member
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Do you have any suggestions for meals/snacks that are calorie-heavy but aren't too unhealthy? I know I do have trouble getting my calorie count up.

Avocado, nuts, cottage cheese, STEAK :happy: , protein powder/shakes or smoothies are an easy way to get some calories in too.

These calorie packed meals come easy for me...unfortunately. :noway: :bigsmile: I wish I had your problem, I'm always over my calorie count. :wink:
  • ChunkLaFunk
    ChunkLaFunk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

stronger yes, bigger a bit, but doing the other way around (higher rep, less weight, but more volume) you will get size gains quicker, but less strength gains.
    Options
    I will have to agree to disagree with this. Based on personal observation and being around both body builders and power lifters, I just have not seen a big difference in size unless they were chemically enhanced.

stronger yes, bigger a bit, but doing the other way around (higher rep, less weight, but more volume) you will get size gains quicker, but less strength gains.
  • mattyice1989
    mattyice1989 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @trojan_bb, how tall are you? Albeit an obvious answer I know I do need to eat more. It seems that I'm consistently at 222 these past few days having been eating about 3100 calories.

@wkwebby, thanks for the suggestions. My problem is not giving myself enough time to eat. You ever add pasta into the mix?