Just had a Body Composition Analyzer Session - Confused!

Options
Just had a body composition analyzer session in work. Very informative. Has made me think about my goal calorie intake on this site, how it might not be accurate for me.

First of all my height is wrong. (who knew!). She said i should be looking to consume my BMR +30%=Calorie goal. Then less 300cal for weight loss. This leaves me at 2278 Cals a day *for* weight loss. (MFP has me at 1750)

She said not to include any exercise in with my calorie count. hmm

Other interesting things were my fat %. The BMI was a bit on the high side but i knew it might be, but on the plus side i had a high muscle mass.

Do i use this as just information or stick with what i am doing? (it seems to be working for me)

Print out

CQR2L9F.jpg

Replies

• JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I say stick with what works, if on average you are losing drastic amounts of weight, like 3-4 pounds a week then you need to increase your calories, otherwise why change what works? Im eating 1920 calories a day through MFP at 6'5 and my strength is not decreasing, and im shedding a pound and a half a week on average, but according to the doctor she told me i should be eating 2600-2800 calories for weight loss.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Need a lot more information in order to comment.

Numbers, for one thing.

Height, weight, age, BF % (not BMI, which is pretty useless),
  • lowerhogan
    lowerhogan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I say stick with what works, if on average you are losing drastic amounts of weight, like 3-4 pounds a week then you need to increase your calories, otherwise why change what works? Im eating 1920 calories a day through MFP at 6'5 and my strength is not decreasing, and im shedding a pound and a half a week on average, but according to the doctor she told me i should be eating 2600-2800 calories for weight loss.

Yeah im airing on the side of just keeping on trucking. I have lost a few lbs using MFP and it seems to work. Im handy enough now after 44 days keeping my calorie limit to the 1750, although i changed my height to what it should be and then set my target to a bit lower which increased my daily calorie allowance.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    The calculation of your suggested intake without exercise is essentially the same as 1750 plus exercise, depending on how much you work out.

If you stick with the MFP method then you should be eating back exercise cals, if you go with the TDEE method, then you shouldn't.
  • lowerhogan
    Options

Numbers, for one thing.

Height 177.3cm

Weight 86kg (had weighed myself this morning at 85.5 which was a loss but ate breakfast, had water etc)

BF% 21.8%
  • lowerhogan
    Options
    If what you're currently doing works for you and you are happy with your regime then why change it?

No i know, but then it just got me thinking about all the things that I hadn't "worried" about when i decided to lose weight, Fat%, my BMI or my "ideal weight" should be much lower.
  • lowerhogan
    Options

Numbers, for one thing.

I thought the BMI was useless too, we just talked about it and she said it is a relevant scale. But i was airing on the side of it being a scale / index to tell older people that they are a degree of being over weight but she said it isn't, it should be taken into consideration...
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    If your comfortable with your intake I wouldn't stress it. 1960 seems very reasonable. I know MFP dropped my calories to 1420 and my energy started lagging. Checked my BMR said 1570 range. So I adjusted my settings to 30 minutes 5 days a week of exercise to up my intake back to 1620.

Of course I am female 5'7" with PCOS ( too much male hormones).
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    No i know, but then it just got me thinking about all the things that I hadn't "worried" about when i decided to lose weight, Fat%, my BMI or my "ideal weight" should be much lower.

My advice when setting an "ideal weight" is to figure out at what body fat percentage you'd like to end up. (Check out Google images for examples of what people generally look like at different percentages.) Then, if you know your lean body mass, you can work backwards to your ideal weight.

For example, I want to get to 10% BF. My current LBM is 158. Therefore, at 176 lbs, I would be at 10% BF, so that's my current target weight. That's the best way to set yourself a target. As you begin approaching that, you can adjust as necessary depending on how you're feeling.
  • lowerhogan
    Options
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    It depends a lot on your numbers IMO. Her formula would put me at a deficit of approx 1300 cals a day based on my TDEE (as I run/ work out for a total of around 8-9hrs a week) which would mean the weight would fall off but I'd also be starving and losing more muscle mass than is preferable. My current deficit is around 700 a day on average which works for me. Personally I'd use it as interesting data and something to may be go back to when/ if your weight loss stalls but if what you're doing is working and is sustainable for you then personally I wouldn't change it.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Looking at the numbers, I agree that it seems like the difference is just that MFP and whoever you spoke use different approaches--the actual numbers aren't all that different.

And I also agree that there is no reason to change what you are doing unless you started dragging I'm your workouts. The counselor is just being a little more conservative, that's all.

Your fat-free mass is not super high for your height, but it is above average. That is why for you, BMI is not that helpful for determining a goal weight. As the other poster stated, it is better to set a goal BF% and calculate the "goal weight" from your FFM.
  • lowerhogan
    Options
    It depends a lot on your numbers IMO. Her formula would put me at a deficit of approx 1300 cals a day based on my TDEE (as I run/ work out for a total of around 8-9hrs a week) which would mean the weight would fall off but I'd also be starving and losing more muscle mass than is preferable. My current deficit is around 700 a day on average which works for me. Personally I'd use it as interesting data and something to may be go back to when/ if your weight loss stalls but if what you're doing is working and is sustainable for you then personally I wouldn't change it.

Yeah I am inclined to agree. I don't see it as a set back just had stopped me in my tracks. I've adjusted the height and my target weight slightly. I weigh myself every 2 weeks and i am happy with the results of using this and combining with exercise for the past 44 days
  • lowerhogan
    Options

Your fat-free mass is not super high for your height, but it is above average. That is why for you, BMI is not that helpful for determining a goal weight. As the other poster stated, it is better to set a goal BF% and calculate the "goal weight" from your FFM.

Yeah my target weight is is in and around 79kgs. She did say my BF% was on the high side, maybe something to look at was my intake of fatty foods.
  • lowerhogan
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments guys, appreciate it!
  • lowerhogan
    edited June 2015
    Options
    E8V8DpP.jpgvVts0pj.png
    Above is weigh in for February and today's body comp analysis

Ok so, just a follow on so i said i would post it here for my own log.

Body Composition analysis test done this morning. Happy with progress, to be fair i had let myself slide so i am back on track in relation to my original analysis test. Surprised that there is a drop off in muscle % but I'm toning up which is my main goal.

One of the main pointers she gave me was about nutrition in and around exercise. The 2 hour window after the gym or training it's important to refuel which i normally wouldn't do religiously/at all. So gonna grab some 500ml avonmore protein milks or bananas for straight after training

Over all happy with my progress anyway, feel lighter, quicker, toned, the target is still to get under the 13 stone mark.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    lowerhogan wrote: »
    Above is weigh in for February and today's body comp analysis

Ok so, just a follow on so i said i would post it here for my own log.

Body Composition analysis test done this morning. Happy with progress, to be fair i had let myself slide so i am back on track in relation to my original analysis test. Surprised that there is a drop off in muscle % but I'm toning up which is my main goal.

you should be extremely careful in judging the accuracy of things like BF in a scale analysis. But you can judge progress over time (eg months). Unless I am misunderstanding the technology and this is actually a body pod / dexa scan and not a step on / hold something scale

One of the main pointers she gave me was about nutrition in and around exercise. The 2 hour window after the gym or training it's important to refuel which i normally wouldn't do religiously/at all. So gonna grab some 500ml avonmore protein milks or bananas for straight after training
    I cannot even begin to imagine how long ago that particular bro-science myth was debunked .. timing of protein consumption makes absolutely no difference. Just ensure you are consuming your protein mainmums across the day/week

Over all happy with my progress anyway, feel lighter, quicker, toned, the target is still to get under the 13 stone mark.

glad you're happy and making progress - but take this information with a pinch of salt
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    @rabbitjb is correct here. This device, the Tanita body composition scale, is a very advanced and expensive version of the bioimpedance measurements available in consumer scales. It is designed for doctor's office settings, so it will be more accurate and precise than the one you can get from Target, but this technology is still limited. The DEXA scan or hydrostatic methods are the most accurate, but they're expensive to perform and can't be done frequently, so this type of scale is a decent compromise.

As for the calorie number they gave you from the analysis, it looks like they're approaching the calculation from a different perspective. MFP uses the NEAT method, and calculates your target calories by subtracting a set deficit (~500 cal/lb/day) from that based on your goal weight loss/wk. The recommendation they gave you was based on BMR + 30%.

The good thing is you know the estimate of your BMR the scale gave you. You can plug your stats (including your new height) into a TDEE calculator that will also give you a BMR number that you can compare. You can set your calorie target anywhere between your BMR and TDEE for a deficit that works for you.

As for BMI, that number was originally created to normalize and index statistical data for population studies in the 1800s. In the early 1900s, life insurance companies latched on to this statistic for actuarial analysis of obesity and it's effect on early mortality. The definitions for overweight and obese thresholds came out of this analysis. BMI does make a useful indicator that is quick and easy to check for a large part of the population, but it is not a diagnostic tool. Unfortunately, as health insurance and medical costs have risen, certain employers and insurance companies are misusing this data.

Hope this helps you and you have a lot of success hitting your targets.
  • lowerhogan
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback guys. I use this as a good indicator for certain things and to just take stock of where i am at that point. Overall im happy with my goals and such, i didnt really pay too much attention to the body fat % etc as my aim isn't to 'grow muscle' or 'get lean' ...im mostly just trying to lose the bit of weight and be healthier. The choices i am making now are assisting that big time. So the real key i took from it was the drop in body weight from February and i can see the body changes myself so happy with progress
  • lowerhogan
    Options
    Body_weight_Jan_2016.jpg

Update today

bodyweight.jpg

That is the last 3 composition results side by side.