Fought the good fight, but...

Options
2»

Replies

• onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight in some form for years, and honestly the only thing that's held me back and kept me at my highest weight ever (30lbs higher than when I originally signed up to MFP) is because I kept quitting, or slacking, or losing accountability to myself.

The next year will go by whether you stick with it or give up. So you will either be 20-50lbs lighter by September 2015, or you won't. 100% your choice.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    post-19287-Zooey-Deschanel-sad-New-Girl-J-VhQm.gif
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Honey, no one can make you stay, but just the fact that you've lost 14 pounds in four months is something. It's taken me five months and I've lost less than you have. But I'll be dammed if I'm giving up.

^^^ Respect, you just earned mine.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I've only lost a couple pounds in a year.. so no sympathy for quitters, sorry.

Edited because that was a strangely formatted sentence.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight in some form for years, and honestly the only thing that's held me back and kept me at my highest weight ever (30lbs higher than when I originally signed up to MFP) is because I kept quitting, or slacking, or losing accountability to myself.

The next year will go by whether you stick with it or give up. So you will either be 20-50lbs lighter by September 2015, or you won't. 100% your choice.

AMEN. I have been struggling with my weight all my life. I lost a bunch of weight, had my son, and ever since then I have struggle to lose weight and stay committed. My son turned 2 earlier in summer.

Don't blame "the cards". It's you. There's 2 things: 1. You overestimate what you burn or you 2. Underestimate what you eat. That's it. Well, MAYBE MAYBE a third...there's a medical reason at play you don't know about but you can't really know that until you really determine you are being as specific on your burns and weighing/measuring every single bite you put in your mouth.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I don't think you want to quit. You wouldn't have posted to the forum to say it, you just would have done it. Closed the account. You posted because it's frustrating.

My advice if you want it is to eat at maintenance for a bit. Give yourself a break. Eat a treat or two. Have a beer. Log it all. Take a week vacation from eating skinless chicken and yogurt. Then come back to it refreshed and energized and ready to kick some butt.
  • MsDellyssa
    MsDellyssa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid. Losing weight is a very hard battle. My medication is my sledge hammer. I still have to wield it. Are there days where that brick wall looks bigger and stronger than I am? Of course, but that baby is coming down one brick at a time if I have to. I lost 20 lbs in 2 months.. Sure that looks amazing, but I had to learn how to do it. Food, exercise, patience. I have a very long way to go, but I don't dwell on the end result, just 20 lbs at a time.. no time limit, just me, my sledge hammer and those bricks.
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    So it's been like a month and you are giving up already? Tisk tisk!
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    You have lost 14 lbs in a month, and that is not quick enough for you?
    yes-rudy1.gif

Remember, you did not gain all this weight in a month, it will take as long if not longer to lose it.
  • xxantiheroxx
    Options
    For the majority of people ketogenic diets (<20g carbs, adequate protein, fat to satiate) can help a lot with satiety while still eating at a caloric deficit. They are also known to boost energy. They have also been known to help with insulin resistance. Maybe look into those.

Don't give up OP. Never give up. If something isn't working try something else.

Why do we fall?

So we can get back up.

Why do we fail?

So we can succeed.
  • savingsunday
    savingsunday Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid. Losing weight is a very hard battle. My medication is my sledge hammer. I still have to wield it. Are there days where that brick wall looks bigger and stronger than I am? Of course, but that baby is coming down one brick at a time if I have to. I lost 20 lbs in 2 months.. Sure that looks amazing, but I had to learn how to do it. Food, exercise, patience. I have a very long way to go, but I don't dwell on the end result, just 20 lbs at a time.. no time limit, just me, my sledge hammer and those bricks.

I love the imagery in this! :) But it is true. This is my second time around on MFP. I lost around 38 pounds my last time around, it felt good, I felt good, I swore I'd never let myself gain it back. Then life happened and $&!@ sucked for awhile. I fell into the routine of making bad choices and not exercising and I gained it all back. But guess what, I am back because I don't want to continue to feel this way and/or gain more. It's not easy. If it was everyone would be healthy! YOU have to make the choice to make the commitment. It took me over year before I was mentally ready to tackle this again. The reward is so great if you stick with it.

But, if you are going to have the mindset that it's too hard and you can't do it then it is and you won't. It's a lifestyle change, not a quick fix.

Personally, I would rather spend my emotional energy on positive things. I'd rather focus on the positive changes I've made then the fact that I have lots of weight to lose because I know I'll get there.

It seems you've made up your mind, though. None of us will change it, only you can do that. I wish you good luck on your journey!
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    You've lost 14 lbs, even though it's been 4 months.

You're only going to feel worse if you quit.

But it's your decision.
  • Soapytime
    Soapytime Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight before. 12 lbs for my wedding 10 years ago (142 to 130) and 12 lbs for a contest a few summers ago (148 to 136). Recently, I've gotten up to 165 after holding my weight in the 140's for the better part of 10 years and 2 kids. Never was really happy there, but it wasn't painful enough for me to change. Honestly, the last time I was happy with my weight was when I was a junior in high school. (115, my super ambitious goal)

With that being said, I know I can do this because on a smaller scale (lol pun), I already have. As have you. Both times I lost the 12 lbs it took me 3 months. I lost a pound a week. Painfully slow at times, but I would rather be 12 lbs lighter 3 months from now than to quit all together. I think of it right now. If I would have started in June instead of August, would have been further ahead. Oh well, there is no time like the present. And if the present is the only thing I've got to work with, then by golly I'm going to make it work.

Hang in there.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    14 lbs since August? Holy Crap! Good work! I've only lost 24 since December. You are not a failure until you stop trying.