Pear shape successes?

Options
124»

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I've always had a big bottom. While most of the weight I've lost has shown more in my waist, my butt and thighs are slimmer. My mom told me the other day that my butt was shrinking. Of course, I know will always be a pear.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures. I've been avoiding cameras for years and I only recently started taking any pictures of myself.

At my lowest weight ever, 88, I was very slim, but a very slim pear. When I was young, all my fat went to my butt, now it goes to my but hips and upper thighs. It's genetics and biochemical changes as I age.

How tall are you?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I received this email from a trainer whose ebook I bought, "Visual Impact for Women." He talked about how when he was doing heavy squats he could barely fit into his jeans because squats made his lower body bigger and he eventually decided that a slimmer look was more attractive. Here's an excerpt on what he said about women, which I believe to be true:

"People find a woman with a nice butt, put up a picture and attribute it all to squats.

The message? Want a butt like this...then do squats!

The "butt region" (scientific term)...is largely genetic for women.

There are countless Victoria's Secret models and Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition models that have never been near a squat and have great butts.

A large portion of having a nice butt is being lucky enough to have even fat distribution over this area.

You can build up the muscle underneath the fat.

...but in many cases that is just going to mean you will go up a few sized in jeans.

In my experience, most women have ample muscle size in their lower bodies.

If you want larger thighs and butt...then by all means squat.

It isn't a useless exercise.

It is only useless if you want to slim down your lower body.

...and if you are a man or woman satisfied with your leg size.

Do not squat!

Stick to interval training, HIIT, to tighten up the lower body without adding size.

Want a bigger upper body?

Train your upper body.

(I know...totally mind blowing advice)."

I disagree with almost all of this.

Maybe all of it.

Oh well. I have heavy squats to do and a pear shaped body/big booty and thighs to slim down with those heavy squats. Maybe one day this whole 'Building muscle under the fat' will happen or I'll magically stop slimming down while lifting heavy/suddenly make my bottom half larger. Maybe.

Yea, but you're not trying to sell books to a gullible public and completely ignoring the multitude of evidence that lifting heavy at a calorie deficit helps with body recomposition and therefore a slimmer and tighter body even for women in their 40s and 50s. But yea, 19 y.o. VS models . . .
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Is there any hope for cellulite???

From what I've read, there is no permanent method for getting rid of cellulite. There are temporary creams and treatments, often with caffeine.

My wife is 41 y.o. and has lost the vast majority of it through a calorie deficit and lifting heavy. I never fail to laugh at the type of nonsense being spewed forth from the same people over and over who have zero experience and evidence to back up their claims.
  • Lillyloooo
    Lillyloooo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Pear<<<<
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Is there any hope for cellulite???

From what I've read, there is no permanent method for getting rid of cellulite. There are temporary creams and treatments, often with caffeine.

My wife is 41 y.o. and has lost the vast majority of it through a calorie deficit and lifting heavy. I never fail to laugh at the type of nonsense being spewed forth from the same people over and over who have zero experience and evidence to back up their claims.

The fact is there is no permanent method for getting rid of ALL one's cellulite through diet and exercise.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    I've always had a big bottom. While most of the weight I've lost has shown more in my waist, my butt and thighs are slimmer. My mom told me the other day that my butt was shrinking. Of course, I know will always be a pear.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures. I've been avoiding cameras for years and I only recently started taking any pictures of myself.

At my lowest weight ever, 88, I was very slim, but a very slim pear. When I was young, all my fat went to my butt, now it goes to my but hips and upper thighs. It's genetics and biochemical changes as I age.

How tall are you?

5' 2".
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    I received this email from a trainer whose ebook I bought, "Visual Impact for Women." He talked about how when he was doing heavy squats he could barely fit into his jeans because squats made his lower body bigger and he eventually decided that a slimmer look was more attractive. Here's an excerpt on what he said about women, which I believe to be true:

"People find a woman with a nice butt, put up a picture and attribute it all to squats.

There are countless Victoria's Secret models and Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition models that have never been near a squat and have great butts.

A large portion of having a nice butt is being lucky enough to have even fat distribution over this area.

...but in many cases that is just going to mean you will go up a few sized in jeans.

Do not squat!

Stick to interval training, HIIT, to tighten up the lower body without adding size.

Train your upper body.

I ♥ this post!! I have been afraid to even DARE suggest that I will NOT squat heavy EVER, because when I did, I got a bigger bottom that I wanted. My bottom is already quite round, I don't need to build MORE muscle on it. I do squats with NO WEIGHTS in order to tone it, and I'm good.

I'm glad you found it helpful. This trainer is one of the few people who's ever acknowledged that traditional training will only make women shaped like us bigger. I know from experience that squats increased the size of my butt and hips and as they're already large relative to the rest of my body.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Do not squat!

Train your upper body.

I ♥ this post!! I have been afraid to even DARE suggest that I will NOT squat heavy EVER, because when I did, I got a bigger bottom that I wanted. My bottom is already quite round, I don't need to build MORE muscle on it. I do squats with NO WEIGHTS in order to tone it, and I'm good.

I'm glad you found it helpful. This trainer is one of the few people who's ever acknowledged that traditional training will only make women shaped like us bigger. I know from experience that squats increased the size of my butt and hips and as they're already large relative to the rest of my body.

What a misguided and ignorant post. Not true at all.
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Well to get back on track. :D

I started at 278 and it was 30-40 lbs before i lost inches in mah botay. Waist started almost immediately and has been steady.

Start: 278lbs = waist 43/ hips 54". (Waist to hips ratio 0.79)
    Now: 210lbs = waist 35/ hips 48". (Waist to hips ratio 0.73)

Mainly through weight loss. I just started walking in October

So yes, your shape can change :D
  • valnoxious
    Options
    Congrats!!!! What did you do to get to that awesome shape?
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Pear above 120, hourglass under (under 5 ft for weight perspective). Come from a family of pears.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    Options
    Wow !!!
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    Options
    Hi
  • TexasDarling09
    TexasDarling09 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Quite the opposite of you ladies, i'm top heavy in the chest and upper tummy. My weight loss has come off of my lower half quite well, upper, not so much. LOL I'm only saying this to maybe help you all realize that you're not alone. And honestly, I'd much rather have a big rear end and a smaller torso, than the opposite. I look so retarded with tiny legs and a large flappy muffin top.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!