When you go to GYM in the morning or in the evening

Options

Replies

• tar0809
    tar0809 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    On weekdays I go either right after work or when my kids go to bed (5:30 or 8:30). On the weekends I go as early as possible.
  • Reece729
    Reece729 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4am every morning to go to the gym. I work out for an hour and a half. Cardio and strength training. I go in the morning because after work, the gym is way too busy for me. So, if I skip the AM workout, I do a home workout without any equipment. That includes: high knees, squats, lunges, leg raises, planks, push ups, wall sits, jumping jacks, crunches, burpees and stretching.

I think some people forget that you don't need a elliptical or treadmill to get a full workout. Use your steps in your house or out front. Take a jog around the block. Lift that gallon of milk in your refrigerator a few times. Watch aerobic videos on your cell phone if you dont have any P90x. Use your resources and you will still get a nice workout.
  • CrainT1
    CrainT1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Late afternoon to evening, I just feel like early morning workouts I have not eaten enough calories yet to burn through my 70 minute work out 5 days a week. So I am good to ensure I have 2 solid meals and a snack before heading to the gym! I find it really helps out.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Evening. I don't do mornings.
  • micheledavison39
    micheledavison39 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    3 mornings a week I am at the trainers @ 7am, then a group of us walk at lunch M-F and at least one evening a week I go horseback riding. I tried evenings, I went once in 3 weeks; by the time I get out of work I have less than no interest in exerting myself (except for riding, that's different!)
  • __hannah_
    __hannah_ Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I typically end up working out in the late evenings (~9pm), sometimes get in a few after lunch workouts as well.
  • Anahita_Swims
    Anahita_Swims Posts: 4,127 Member
    Options
    when i had an office job in the city i would work out before it but now im at work for 7:45 so i stick to afternoons
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky enough to have a full gym next door to me. Squash, track, tennis, weights, basketball, volleyball, and baseball fields. I'm so lucky and I know it! Usually hit the weights and ride stationary bike in the winter, ride my own during the summer. Always at lunch time.
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It's always the last thing I do. I'm self employed (dog walker) so if I have a rare day of I'll probably go in the morning. If not then it's whenever I finish work as the last thing I want to do when I come out the gym shattered and sweaty is take a group of boisterous and usually noisy dogs out!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I've run before work and felt jazzed for an hour or two then wanted to fall asleep. I thought it was odd since I always hear about how energized morning workouts make people throughout the day. I guess not for me. Has anyone ever experienced this?

Same here. Morning cardio wipes me out. I will do it on weekends if I know I don't have a lot planned. Then it's over with for the day.

My preference for any workout is at 9 pm, but I always end up doing weights in the morning (7 a.m.) and cardio at night ( 6 pm). I live close by the gym, so no big issues getting there.

Me too! I'll lift in the late morning or lunch if I can get away from the office. Plus, I don't sweat to death and turn beat red like I do with running. If I do cardio, it's in the evening then I'm tired for bed.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning kind of girl. That's mainly because my kids have activities in the evenings.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I don't know. Pole classes are always in the evening, so that's easy. But I just started a 9-5 job that's not necessarily 9-5 - on any given day I could *potentially* start much earlier and end much later. With an hour and a bit commute on either side of my day. I'm kind of praising myself for just getting out of bed in the morning at this point.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Saturday and Sunday I go in the morning.

Monday through Friday I go during my lunch break.
  • TowsonChuck
    TowsonChuck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I go in the mornings 7AM to be precise.... the gym is a ghost town then, not really, but there is about a tenth of the amount of people there. No issues getting any Cardio or strength equipment then.

I use to just sit at home and watch the Today Show before work and go to the gym after work. But my gym is a crazy packed then, not too busy to get a machine, but too busy for my liking.

My gym is loaded with TVs , so I still get to watch the Today show while doing my cardio.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    The earlier the better. I have better energy, my appetite is suppressed, and it's less busy before normal working hours.
  • EmpressZhark
    EmpressZhark Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Straight after work, typically. I simply can't make myself get up in the mornings to work out, it's just not something I can do, so instead I make time in the evenings. It does mean my workouts suffer a little from being moved around/cut short due to social engagements occasionally, but that's not a huge problem.
  • onelovejenn
    Options
    I work out after work Tues, Wed & Thurs. I change into my workout clothes at work and stop by the gym on my way home, if I go home first I may not make it back out to the gym. On Sat. & Sun. I go to the gym when they open at 8 so I wont get bogged down at home cleaning house, running errands, etc.

I've been toying with the idea of getting up at 4:45 and going to the gym by 5 am on weekdays, coming home and back out the door for work by 7:15, but I don't know how I could get in enough sleep if I do that. We'll see how that goes.
  • iamthesweenmachine
    Options
    I'm a college student, I go whenever I have time :p

I prefer the afternoon though, because it's less crowded
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I workout immediately after work, before I go home for the day - that way I don't get sucked in by the couch or distracted with stuff that needs to be done at home. On weekends, I usually work out in the late morning - gives time for sleep-in, but fitting in the workout before the day gets hectic. I'd like to fit in another quick workout in the morning or over lunch, but I already get up shortly after 5, and only get a half hour lunch. Whatever works I guess!

I am also SLEEPY after cardio, especially if I have to do something static after (like sitting at my boring deskjob all day).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I do the weight work in the mornings and the water aerobics in the late afternoons. No special reason, just when the class time is for the pool and the appointment available with the coach when I started the weight work