does anyone NOT weigh themselves at all

Options
My husband thought my weighing was getting out of hand so he hid my scale. Yes, I could buy another and hide it...but I don't want to be lying to him or have this issue be a point of argument between us. I no longer have a gym membership, so I can't weigh there. I guess I will have to go by how my clothes fit and/or tape measurer. He thinks this will make me less obsessed with weight...but I think it will make me more obsessed. He doesn't understand.

Replies

• Spencerport
    Spencerport Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I try to limit weighing myself to two or three times a week. Your weight can fluctuate quite a bit day to day, so I just limit myself.
  • SlimMe37
    SlimMe37 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've considered not weighing myself, but I need to see those numbers going down. I weigh in the morning every few days just to check how I'm doing.
  • violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    measuring is a better indicator of weight loss. I lost 2 inches without dropping a pound last week.
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it's his place to decide for you whether you can/should weigh yourself. It's ok to voice his opinion but he isn't your boss, that's just ridiculous. At any rate if you are ok with him treating you like a child my suggestion would be to see if you can make an agreement that he will get your scale out of it's hiding place once a week or at least once a month so you know where you are at in your efforts. If he won't do that I guess you can always go with a scale at a truck stop or a friend's house but he really doesn't have the right to say no. Best of luck to you.
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I stopped weighing myself about a month ago, it seemed like every time I didn't have a loss I would get so discouraged and then binge. As long as my clothes continue to fit better, I don't need to weigh myself. I plan on only doing it when I get back into my goal size jeans.
  • luvmydawgs
    luvmydawgs Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Only at the doctor do I step on a scale. I go by how I feel and how my clothes feel...
  • prettychelly
    prettychelly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh myself once a month or once every two months. Take pictures, look in the mirror, take note of how your clothes are fitting. Above all try to be consistent with food intake and exercise and you'll be fine.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself every 4 weeks, but then I stopped weighing myself when I was pregnant because I didn't want to obsess over it and I knew I would gain, because I always do when I'm pregnant, no matter what (I mean, aside from the obvious gain lol). I finally weighed myself yesterday, at 19 weeks post partum, and now wish I hadn't, as I'm getting hung up on the number. Before that I could tell I was slimmer and my clothes fit better, but now I'm going to stress about my weight.
  • maz2469
    maz2469 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    To be honest i don't really weigh my self anymore - as long as I know i'm on the right tracks I'm okay with it, although I can also avoid them when I'm not behaving myself... I weight train too so I have mixed feelings about actual weight loss (so long as clothes that fit now continue to fit) I guess it depends on your goals and where you're at in your journey?
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself everyday but then was getting so obsessed over it. I'm down to getting on the scale about every other week.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I stopped weighing myself, I think I am going to weigh myself next 1/1/15. Its buy clothes and how I feel
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself about once a month, just to make sure everything is moving in the right direction.

I have other fitness goals to concentrate on.
  • shaythep
    shaythep Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it's his place to decide for you whether you can/should weigh yourself. It's ok to voice his opinion but he isn't your boss, that's just ridiculous. At any rate if you are ok with him treating you like a child my suggestion would be to see if you can make an agreement that he will get your scale out of it's hiding place once a week or at least once a month so you know where you are at in your efforts. If he won't do that I guess you can always go with a scale at a truck stop or a friend's house but he really doesn't have the right to say no. Best of luck to you.

I'm just taking a shot in the dark but I don't think you are married.
  • Sithu13
    Sithu13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once or twice a month. I used to be ruled and owned by the scale. I finally had to throw mine out. For two reasons. 1) It was no longer working after I smashed it. 2) It was ruining my life and efforts.
    Now that I have let go of that scale, I've dropped 22lbs. I'm a lot happier and now my self worth is no longer guided by that all rotten scale.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options

I'm just taking a shot in the dark but I don't think you are married.

Not the person who wrote this, but I AM married and agree 100%.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    This is an encouraging thread! I've been frustrated at gaining and not losing for the past 2 months despite training hard and eating at a deficit. Clothes fit fine or better, body fat caliper shows loss of fat, and I've lost inches. Pictures even prove it. But I'm still unhappy because of the scale? How stupid of me!! I'm going to wean off of it, down to once a week. Likely going every other, then I'll do once a month. I'm tinkering around with my cal levels and macros though so I need some measure, and I wear workout clothes most of the time so the clothing measurement isn't consistent enough for me.

Thanks for emboldening me!!
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I think us husbands are just worried about our wives. For example, my wife dropped 4 pounds on the scale this week (super exciting), but it's not going to be very fun for her when she notices that at least two of the dropped pounds are due to water loss and will quickly come back if not watched. Since your measurements are not going to change as fast as your weight, you need some way to be aware of your progress. A combination of once weekly weigh ins and measurements would be a good compromise. The health and well being of our wives is so important to us husbands and it really does appear that he cares for you, he just should have discussed the scale issue with you before taking such drastic action.
  • onelovejenn
    Options
    I used to be so obsessed with weighing myself, to the point where I weighed numerous times a day. I ended up throwing my scale away and now only weigh myself once a week. That even sometimes bothers me when I don't see a drop that I expect. Last week I lost 3 lbs, I started going to the gym, doing ONLY cardio and this week I only lost 1 lb, I know when doing strength training it's common to gain due to your muscles holding onto water to repair themselves, but I only did cardio, so what's up with that???? See my point? Sometimes I think weighing yourself can do more harm than good, depending on your perception.
  • juliaaandersen
    juliaaandersen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself. Then I was a teenager, I became obsessed with weighing myself everyday and if I had gained weight I would be really sad. Eventually I stopped doing it, mostly because I didn't want to end up with an eating disorder (I could feel that I was heading in the wrong direction). I might end up weighing myself occasionally, but I will never own a weight.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't, primarily because I currently don't have a scale (and for reasons that are boring, silly and complicated can't get one).

I have been going with how I feel and how my clothes fit.