Calling all Southern Belle Sweet Tea Addicts

Options
13»

Replies

• gotonenerveleft
    gotonenerveleft Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Drank sweet tea for years. Starting drinking unsweet tea in restaurants and drive thru's. A straw was the biggest help. The most shocking thing to me was that after I quit it, sweet tea tasted disgusting. Not even remotely resembling what it tasted like before. So for me it's only unsweet or water. Well, coffee in the morning but that's it.
  • Fitdoge
    Fitdoge Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have found that sweet tea is my habit and addiction! Unsweet tea is NOT an option. I've tried Stevia, Truvia, etc. and it is just plain nasty. I like plain water but I'm having a hard time drinking it plain. I've used real lemons and at least 5 or more Crystal Light mixes. The boxes are taking up so much space in my cabinet. They seem too sweet. I even tried 2 different tea powders. yuck! Any suggestions?

I buy teabags and make pitchers of tea at a time. I boil it in a large pot, steep it for 30 minutes, remove the teabags and let sit in the fridge. It was terrible and bitter AT FIRST, and then I slowly grew to love it. Drinking regular sweetened tea makes me gag now. I prefer my tea as strong and bitter as possible and I used to be just addicted to the sugarriest teas possible.

Your tea is bitter because you are steeping it WAY TOO LONG. "Bring 8 cups water to a simmer; remove from the heat and add 3 tablespoons loose tea or 6 tea bags. Let steep about 4 minutes, until it's the strength you like. Strain loose tea with a fine-mesh sieve or remove the tea bags. Let cool, then transfer to a pitcher, cover and refrigerate."

Well that's the whole point. I DID say "as strong and bitter as possible." I also make a LOT more than 8 cups of tea at one time (for the family.)
  • DJFL49
    Options
    Drank sweet tea for years. Starting drinking unsweet tea in restaurants and drive thru's. A straw was the biggest help. The most shocking thing to me was that after I quit it, sweet tea tasted disgusting. Not even remotely resembling what it tasted like before. So for me it's only unsweet or water. Well, coffee in the morning but that's it.
    The first time I ever drank real sweet tea made with sugar, I almost gagged on it. I hated it. I drank unsweet tea with Sweet N Low all my life until four years ago. I don't know why, but all of a sudden, it didn't taste right anymore, so I tried several other sweeteners and finally settled on Splenda. That's the only sweetener I use anymore. I even use it on cereal.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I drink Iced Tea every day I make 4 tea bags with 4 drops Now Better Stevia Liquid zero calories taste good to me.