trouble eating 1200 calories

Options
2»

Replies

• dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    well.. i am 5'5 and 134 pounds.. goal weight 125.. lost 25 till now.. i realize that maybe i am not eating as much as i should but from past dieting experience i find that wen i eat more even though still exercising that the scale does not budge.. i am logigng all i eat and idk i am not unhealthy but i am scared about all this concern

But have you lost inches? Muscles weighs more than fat so if you are building muscle and losing fat, the scale may not budge; in fact, it may go up. But you will have lost inches instead.
  • thummell
    Options
    So are all of you under weight that can't eat 1200 calories?
  • littlespoon
    Options
    I am not underweight at all and I struggle to get to 1200 as well. When I changed what I ate (as in no junk food and all fresh food) I have found it really difficult. I eat lots of fruit, snack on lots of veggies throughout the day as well as lunch and dinner. We eat wraps alot (tortilla with either fish, breast chicken, ham or lean beef with lettuce, tomato, avocado, egg and a light sauce). I dont have a sweet tooth generally, so I might have some light yoghurt for desert or a weight watchers desert if I feel like something different. But I will usually have a glass of wine too.
    I always make sure that I get as close as I possibly can to my 1200 (even if it is flavoured water which is 80 calories for a 750ml bottle + it means I am drinking more water) because otherwise I know my metabolism will slow down, but i DO find it difficult.

By the way, before people make assumptions, I am 33 with a wonderful family and I have a degree in Psychology so I know about eating disorders.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I am not underweight at all and I struggle to get to 1200 as well. When I changed what I ate (as in no junk food and all fresh food) I have found it really difficult. I eat lots of fruit, snack on lots of veggies throughout the day as well as lunch and dinner. We eat wraps alot (tortilla with either fish, breast chicken, ham or lean beef with lettuce, tomato, avocado, egg and a light sauce). I dont have a sweet tooth generally, so I might have some light yoghurt for desert or a weight watchers desert if I feel like something different. But I will usually have a glass of wine too.
    I always make sure that I get as close as I possibly can to my 1200 (even if it is flavoured water which is 80 calories for a 750ml bottle + it means I am drinking more water) because otherwise I know my metabolism will slow down, but i DO find it difficult.

By the way, before people make assumptions, I am 33 with a wonderful family and I have a degree in Psychology so I know about eating disorders.

Undereating isn't always the effect of an eating disorder like anorexia. It is, however, an effect of "disordered eating" which is far more common than anorexia or bulimia. It's the habit of undereating, not eating the right things, and/or having a very unorganized eating schedule. It can range from just undereating unintentionally, to being too busy to eat for 10 hours and then eating one meal, and then waiting another 2 hours before eating again, and then not eating again for 8 hours. It doesn't have the same implications as anorexia or bulimia, as far as body image, but it is still an issue. Bottom line--you need to eat more.
  • MissMe9669
    Options
    Well maybe that is my problem... I love food! I always tell my husband he doesn't have to worry about me starving to death... cuz I can not go without my food!! It is harder to get your calories in when you are trying to eat healthy... It has mine set at 2,000 right now... and that is hard to do if i eat healthy! So am I understanding this right... If I don't eat the full 2000 then I won't lose weight because my matabolism will drop??:noway:
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Options
    If you like fruit, eat avocados! Someone mentioned peanut butter, above. Also try to just eat lots of handfuls of nuts / seeds. A mere 1/3 cup of the trail mix that I like has 230 calories!
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I can't believe some people can only eat 500-600 calories a day. I am having trouble just sticking to 1300 a day. I can usually eat 500 calories during lunch time alone. lol
  • erin83070
    erin83070 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi there! My son tends to be underweight due to some endocrine issues. Since he was two, (he's seven now) we've had some practice in getting nutritionally dense and high calorie foods in him. Piggybacking meals is impotant. For example, when the rest of us are having plain spaghetti and sauce we throw on a heap of cheese for him. Instead of yoghurt, you could choose mini-go ( a cream cheese snack) , throw berries into your your youghurt. Etc.

When you approach a snack or meal, think of what you can do to pack in more calories! Don't just have cereal, throw a bananna on there! Low fat cheeses taste good on just about anything, ask my 'big' guy. It works, he's had a significant weight gain in the last six months ,for him , and we're thrilled. I think it's partially because he's become involved in martial arts for the last year and is gaining some muscle mass.