WANTED!! quiche Recipes

Options
2»

Replies

• heidimmto
    heidimmto Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Need more pointers on this filling prep, sounds delicious!!!!
    ..and made my own filling).

My favorite combination is ham, bacon, swiss, onions, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup of milk and 200g of egg whites (would be awesome with heavy cream and just eggs, but yeah. With the crust above it was already over 600 calories for 1/4 of the quiche).

Broccoli, ham, cheddar, onions is great (with my usual 3 eggs, 1/2 cup of milk and 200g of egg whites)
    Peppers, onions, sausage (same eggs/egg whites/milk)
    Spinach, feta, onions - I like this better with just egg whites
    Spinach, goat cheese, smoked salmon - same, I like it better with just egg whites

I did spinach, tomatoes and mozzarella once but it was a bit soggy. I still have issues getting veggies dry enough, especially tomatoes.
  • babydaisy81
    babydaisy81 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I love quiche! I quite often make a crustless one, which is very low in calories, I just throw wahtever vegetables I have in a pie dish, and cover with eggs! I love roasted veggies/goat cheese, broccoli/ham, so many options once you get the base down! I usually use a bit of water and not milk too, uber low cal, but not as tasty as other recipes!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Do you have to make the crust? I think Pilsbury does a fine job of it, but I made this Tuesday and it's good and low-cal:
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/squash-bacon-mozzarella-quiche-50400000113768/
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Though I would gladly eat an entire lard-based pie crust, I often make crustless quiche by buttering the pie dish and then dusting with seasoned bread crumbs. It gives it a little crunch on the edges.

But I don't imagine boyfriend is interested in crustless quiche for this challenge. You could learn to make pie crust but that is the hardest part of making a quiche and prone to disaster. The best pre-made alternatives are either the Pillsbury sheets of pie dough (but you have to be good at shaping the rim) or, surprisingly, the Great Value house brand pie crust from Walmart. I'd shy away from any boxed pie crust mixes.

To go with the basic, try a classic Quiche Lorraine -- basically a bacon and swiss cheese quiche. You can go really traditional American with the Betty Crocker recipe but there are lots of others on the web. Just google "quiche lorraine."

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/quiche-lorraine/9a0749e1-6ba9-41f9-85e5-e5b2d3a63977
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I make a crustless Quiche Lorraine that I eat for brunch most days. Keeps well in refrigerator and a portion reheats in a minute or less. Sometimes I just take it along cold.

Whisk together:
    6 eggs
    1 1/2 cup heavy cream
    1/4 tsp sugar (optional, helps with browning)
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Stir in:
    1/3 cup grated or chopped onion
    1/3-1/2 cup crumbled bacon
    4 oz shredded cheese (I use 3 oz Swiss and 1 oz. Asiago)

Pour into greased 9 inch pie plate. Bake 15 minutes at 425F, then reduce heat to 300F and bake 30 minutes more. Should be browned and just set in the center. Cool and refrigerate. 6 servings, about 425 cal, 3 g carbs, 36g fat, 15 g protein.
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I make the Bisquick quiche...the recipe is on the side of the box :blushing: I just add whatever protein and veggies I have on hand!
  • jrmommy23
    jrmommy23 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bump! In for quiche recipes, too.
  • Tab122377
    Tab122377 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i do not use pie crust i buy canned sliced potato layer on the bottom. layer of ham cheese and what ever i feel like then potatos and repeat mix bunch eggs and cook. it was a stove top reciepe. Great for cooking breakfast before so pop in microwave and off to work.
  • micheledavison39
    micheledavison39 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I make a couple of different crustless ones, just add a ready made pie shell if you really want a crust.

Oven 425, coat 9" pie pan with cooking spray

Base:
    2 eggs
    1/2c egg whites
    5oz can evaporated milk
    1 tsp dijon mustard
    black pepper to preference

Whisk until blended

extras:
    Leek & bacon (or ham)
    2 medium/large leeks sliced into half rounds and rinsed well (whites and light green)
    6 oz bacon/ham
    4 oz crumbled goat cheese
    dried thyme to preference

cook bacon, save 2 tsp grease to saute leeks (use olive oil if you used ham instead of bacon). saute leeks until lightly browned. crumble/cut up bacon into 1" or smaller pieces.
    mix leeks and bacon & thyme, add to bottom of pie pan, cover with cheese and then pour egg mixture over top. poke a knife or fork in several places to make sure egg mixture gets in every where.
    Cook for 25-30 minutes until top is set and golden brown.

Chicken sausage & apples

Same base as above
    2 al fresco buffalo chicken sausage links
    2 medium apples
    rubbed sage
    1/2c sharp cheddar

Cut sausage and apples into bite size pieces, saute in 2 tsp of olive oil until lightly browned. add sage to egg mixture and whisk to blend. add sausage & apple to coated pie pan and cover with cheese. pour egg mixture over the top.
    Cook for 25-30 minutes until top is set and golden brown.

either recipe makes 6 servings (I usually get 4 they are so good).
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    This is from Paula Dean., not exactly lo cal, but a indulgence once in a while. Make this Christmas morning...

Ingredients
    6 large eggs, beaten
    1 1/2 cups heavy cream
    Salt and pepper
    2 cups chopped fresh baby spinach, packed
    1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
    1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
    1 (9-inch) refrigerated pie crust, fitted to a 9-inch glass pie plate
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine the eggs, cream, salt, and pepper in a food processor or blender. Layer the spinach, bacon, and cheese in the bottom of the pie crust, then pour the egg mixture on top. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until the egg mixture is set. Cut into 8 wedges.

CATEGORIES: Spinach Brunch Quiche View All

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/spinach-and-bacon-quiche-recipe.html?oc=linkback

I also use this recipe only I use 2% milk instead of cream. Delish!

I also use this recipe,only I prefer kale and red onion and i omit the bacon and use fake cheese.
  • rachelchase40
    rachelchase40 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This is so delicious! My boyfriend and I love to have this at any time of the day!:happy:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/ham-and-cheese-breakfast-quiche/detail.aspx
  • lorimill1973
    lorimill1973 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    From the Moosewood Cookbook- so good. You can substitute whatever veggies or cheese you like.

http://www.food.com/recipe/moosewood-swiss-cheese-and-mushroom-quiche-434271
  • mandez19
    Options
    I make a crustless Quiche Lorraine that I eat for brunch most days. Keeps well in refrigerator and a portion reheats in a minute or less. Sometimes I just take it along cold.

Whisk together:
    6 eggs
    1 1/2 cup heavy cream
    1/4 tsp sugar (optional, helps with browning)
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Stir in:
    1/3 cup grated or chopped onion
    1/3-1/2 cup crumbled bacon
    4 oz shredded cheese (I use 3 oz Swiss and 1 oz. Asiago)

Pour into greased 9 inch pie plate. Bake 15 minutes at 425F, then reduce heat to 300F and bake 30 minutes more. Should be browned and just set in the center. Cool and refrigerate. 6 servings, about 425 cal, 3 g carbs, 36g fat, 15 g protein.

YUP. This is the one from my Joy of Cooking cookbook. This page is dirtied up good for a reason.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    3 large eggs, lightlybeaten
    1 c. whipping cream
    8 oz. Swiss cheese, shredded
    8-10 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
    10 oz. package of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
    Salt, pepper
    1 frozen deep dish pie shell

Mix all ingredients and pour into pie shell. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. I usually bake the shell for about 8 minutes prior to pouring the filling in - it helps prevent the crust from getting soggy. I've made a broccoli/ham/cheddar version of this, added in various veggies, and also used evaporated milk in place of the cream to save on calories. It came out great - good base recipe courtesy of my mom. Enjoy!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Need more pointers on this filling prep, sounds delicious!!!!
    ..and made my own filling).

My favorite combination is ham, bacon, swiss, onions, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup of milk and 200g of egg whites (would be awesome with heavy cream and just eggs, but yeah. With the crust above it was already over 600 calories for 1/4 of the quiche).

Broccoli, ham, cheddar, onions is great (with my usual 3 eggs, 1/2 cup of milk and 200g of egg whites)
    Peppers, onions, sausage (same eggs/egg whites/milk)
    Spinach, feta, onions - I like this better with just egg whites
    Spinach, goat cheese, smoked salmon - same, I like it better with just egg whites

I did spinach, tomatoes and mozzarella once but it was a bit soggy. I still have issues getting veggies dry enough, especially tomatoes.

Honestly I just sautee the veggies for a couple minutes to get rid of the extra water, then layer them with the meat in the bottom of the pan, mix the eggs, egg whites and milk in a bowl (with salt and pepper) then pour that on top, then bake until it's not wiggly anymore.

I've been lazy lately though and just make omelets, it's easier to keep track of how many calories I'm eating.

But the crust from that link was so good and so easy to make. I made the 'quiche lorraine' filling with it (the ham, bacon, onions and swiss one).

Hmm now I want to make another one. Really got to look into those Bisquick recipes too.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/52040423 Breakfast Quiche Muffins. you can modify the meat and veg ingredients to your liking.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Bump