Cutting Sugar for Fast Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Finally someone who is being intelligent with cutting out some food.

Sure, it's not necessary, but refined shugar has no nutritional value, just empty calories.

Congratulations on your loss. I hope you achieve your goals. :D

You know, I really hate it when people use the "sugar is empty calories" argument. I eat sweets because I enjoy them and they make me happy. I play video games because I enjoy them and they make me happy, and some people would argue they're a waste of time. If something is important to you or you like it, never give it up because someone else thinks it doesn't improve/unimproves your life.
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options
    I'll start with responding to all of the unnecessary comments with 1 thing. MFP members solely ruin the experience and the point of this website. The point is to partake in healthy weightloss by way of reducing calorie intake, increasing physical activity and leading an overall healthier lifestyle.

Everything that I have said in this post encompasses that whole-heartedly. There is nothing drastic, nor "fad" like about this diet. I will not allow anyone to tell me that my weightloss is because of this or that because I am clearly telling you what it is. I have stated over and over again that sugar eliminates things such as white bread, white rice, packaged foods, and goodies. This means that esssentially the reduction of sugar will in turn, naturally reduce my carb intake, my sodium intake and my calorie intake.

I think there is a whole lot of wanting to be right when it comes it MFP and alot of the members are extremely hypocritical. I am only sharing this information because it has been a fast, easy and can help someone else.

BTW. If you are not sure that sugar in excess is the primary source of obesity, diabetes and heart disease- you'd better call the American Heart Association and your primary care doctor. Again, missing the point with this.

EXCESS SUGAR= EXCESS CALORIES= MORE CALORIES IN THAN CALORIES OUT= WEIGHT GAIN= OBESITY= DISEASES THAT ARE CAUSED PRIMARILY BY WEIGHT GAIN AND OVER CONSUMPTION SUCH AS : DIABETES, HEART DISEASE.

I am well educated on the subject and I know that many causes of heart disease including conservative, genetic and environmental factors such as cardiomyelopathy. I am only relaying the fact that one of the major reasons why over 600,000 people die of heart disease every year in America. I won't argue the point though. To those that this helps, you are welcome. To those that it doesn't- half of you would argue with the creator of MFP just to right. If anyone needs additional help or wants to know more, please PM or friend me. I'm pretty much done talking to close minded people. By the way, if you choose not to reduce sugar intake, that's your business and the words "sugar is evil" were never mine. Again, simply trying to share an experience.
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options
    Sugar is not evil, but when taken in excess it is in fact the primary source of obesity, diabetes and heart disease.

However you want to cut calories is up to you. This statement is just wrong, though.

Primary cause of obesity is overeating.

Primary cause of Type II diabetes is unknown, but it has been correlated to obesity among other things. Correlation != causation.

Primary cause of heart disease depends on the type of heart disease. Some is genetic, some is caused by previous infections, etc. None is known to be caused by sugar consumption, though some studies show a correlation. Again, correlation != causation.

So, you don't correlate EXCESS SUGAR= EXCESS CALORIES IN ( this would be a synonym for overeating)=EXCESS WEIGHT GAIN= OBESITY= PREDISPOSING FACTOR OF HEART DISEASE AND DIABETES MELLITUS .?
  • lemonsnowdrop
    Options
    Excess sugar causes excess calories. Excess fats and proteins do too. There are people who eat "clean" and never touch processed foods and are overweight. That's because sugar isn't the only thing you can eat excess of. 10,000 calories of sugar and 10,000 calories of protein is still 10,000 calories.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The problem is that you are referring to excess sugar. Your answer to making sure you don't eat sugar in excess just happens to be to cut out refined sugars all together. That's fine if it works for you, but there are MANY of us on this board that do not have a problem with sugar at all, and especially not an excess of it. We can eat in moderation and do just fine. There are ZERO studies that I am aware of that shows any ill effects of sugar in a balanced diet.

What it comes down to is that you can have your own opinion, but you can't have your own facts.
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options
    @IronPlayground

I respect your comment but consider this. There are about 16 calories in every teaspoon of sugar. Every teaspoon of sugar is about 4 grams. Your average can of soda contains anywhere from 23-40 grams of sugar. Which translates to about an extra 80-160 calories. This is just one example.

By eliminating sugar, I am reducing my calorie intake drastically and only ridding myself of the bad stuff. My current regime consists of mainly whole foods ofcourse and that has definitely been a great jump start. But it's important that people understand that most foods that are not "whole" such as frozen meals, package cereals and canned foods contain massive amounts of sugar to preserve and enhance their taste. In my case and in most others, eliminating sugar= eliminate processed foods and excess sweets= eliminating calories=weightloss. In fact, I'm pretty sure- we are saying the same thing. I am not saying sugar is bad. In fact, I note multiple times in which I did completely indulge in sugar on this diet. However, I have been trying for about 5 years to lose weight with no success. Sugar is not evil, but when taken in excess it is in fact the primary source of obesity, diabetes and heart disease. I think it's okay to tell people to cut back. I think total elimination is however completely unmaintainable.

Your soda example is an example of extremes that most people who oppose sugar like to talk in.

Also, you should have already been reducing your calorie intake in order to lose weight. Again, you most likely just lowered your carb intake by reducing sugar. Which, in turn, would allow for water weight reduction. If you weren't paying attention to macros before and just trying to stay under a calorie level, then this would be the result when taking in a high carb day while staying under calories.

I'm not trying to change your mind. I'm trying to get those reading this post to understand that the method your using isn't necessary and to do some research from credible sources before jumping into any type of eating protocol.

I know you didn't read the entire story or you would have known that my calorie intake was already reduced ( and that my statement was that eliminating sugars reduced it even more without making me feel hungry or deprived) and I had previously reached a weightloss plateau. Also, I don't view the soda pop as an extreme considering many American can consume anywhere from 2-3 per day. When you look at it in terms of numbers ; that's an additional 240-480/ 1680 to 3360 per week/ 6720 to 13440 per month and 80,640 - 161,280 calories per year. That translates to 23 to 46 pounds per year. That would be an extreme example and that's with only consuming an additional 2-3 CANS of soda per day. Not bottles. Not liters. CANS.

Anywho, my point is reduce sugar/carbs/processed foods, etc., eat better, reduce caloric intake and be a happy person. I personally could care less whether or not people choose to listen. It's their body, but I tell the story because someone can benefit from it.

Oh and as you can tell- my research was done. It began with Youtube. It didn't end there.
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options
    Excess sugar causes excess calories. Excess fats and proteins do too. There are people who eat "clean" and never touch processed foods and are overweight. That's because sugar isn't the only thing you can eat excess of. 10,000 calories of sugar and 10,000 calories of protein is still 10,000 calories.

PRECISELY. But most Americans do not struggle with eating excess proteins and fats, unless they excessively eat over all. I challenge you. Check your labels more often and you will be shocked how much sugar you take in on this American diet. I am not talking baked goods and poptarts here. I'm speaking of foods you would never even expect.
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options
    The problem is that you are referring to excess sugar. Your answer to making sure you don't eat sugar in excess just happens to be to cut out refined sugars all together. That's fine if it works for you, but there are MANY of us on this board that do not have a problem with sugar at all, and especially not an excess of it. We can eat in moderation and do just fine. There are ZERO studies that I am aware of that shows any ill effects of sugar in a balanced diet.

What it comes down to is that you can have your own opinion, but you can't have your own facts.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20130114/sugar-excess-weight

EXCEPT FOR THEY ARE NOT "MY OWN" FACTS. Come on. I'm a graduate student- I know better than that. I invite you to read this. This is just the first one I could find. Chances are that you are not aware because you haven't tried to be aware. Good Day.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Oh, where do we start!!!???
    I'll start with responding to all of the unnecessary comments with 1 thing. MFP members solely ruin the experience and the point of this website. The point is to partake in healthy weightloss by way of reducing calorie intake, increasing physical activity and leading an overall healthier lifestyle.

Everything that I have said in this post encompasses that whole-heartedly. There is nothing drastic, nor "fad" like about this diet. I will not allow anyone to tell me that my weightloss is because of this or that because I am clearly telling you what it is. I have stated over and over again that sugar eliminates things such as white bread, white rice, packaged foods, and goodies. This means that esssentially the reduction of sugar will in turn, naturally reduce my carb intake, my sodium intake and my calorie intake.

There are various definitions of healthy eating. Just because one person eliminates sugar and one chooses not to doesn't mean that one is healthier than the other. Also, one doesn't have to eliminate sugar to take in less calorie/carbs. That can be achieved in many different ways.

BTW. If you are not sure that sugar in excess is the primary source of obesity, diabetes and heart disease- you'd better call the American Heart Association and your primary care doctor. Again, missing the point with this.

EXCESS SUGAR= EXCESS CALORIES= MORE CALORIES IN THAN CALORIES OUT= WEIGHT GAIN= OBESITY= DISEASES THAT ARE CAUSED PRIMARILY BY WEIGHT GAIN AND OVER CONSUMPTION SUCH AS : DIABETES, HEART DISEASE.

The major flaw in your argument is "in excess". Anything "in excess" can cause weight gain or other potentially negative side effects. The major cause of demonizing sugar is when someone throws macronutrient maintenance out the window. Managing calories along with carbs, protein, and fat will make it easier to continue to enjoy all the things you restrict.

I'm pretty much done talking to close minded people.

Pot, meet Kettle!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    Options

PRECISELY. But most Americans do not struggle with eating excess proteins and fats, unless they excessively eat over all. I challenge you. Check your labels more often and you will be shocked how much sugar you take in on this American diet. I am not talking baked goods and poptarts here. I'm speaking of foods you would never even expect.

That's not true. My family became overweight by using too much butter and oil in cooking (as well as mayo. My mom uses a whole jar for tuna casserole, I swear). It is completely possible to overeat on foods that aren't carbs.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

EXCEPT FOR THEY ARE NOT "MY OWN" FACTS. Come on. I'm a graduate student- I know better than that. I invite you to read this. This is just the first one I could find. Chances are that you are not aware because you haven't tried to be aware. Good Day.

And again, that article's conclusion was this...

"The results suggest sugar increases body weight mainly by encouraging overeating, according to Walter Willett, MD, PhD, MPH, chair of nutrition at Harvard School of Public Health. He co-wrote an editorial to accompany the study."

So it encourages overeating in some? Okay...I can agree with that. That still has nothing to do with the people who can eat it in moderation.
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options
    Oh, where do we start!!!???

There are various definitions of healthy eating. Just because one person eliminates sugar and one chooses not to doesn't mean that one is healthier than the other. Also, one doesn't have to eliminate sugar to take in less calorie/carbs. That can be achieved in many different ways.

The major flaw in your argument is "in excess". Anything "in excess" can cause weight gain or other potentially negative side effects. The major cause of demonizing sugar is when someone throws macronutrient maintenance out the window. Managing calories along with carbs, protein, and fat will make it easier to continue to enjoy all the things you restrict.

I'm pretty much done talking to close minded people.

Pot, meet Kettle!

Explain how "in excess" is a flaw when I previously stated in my post that I did not eliminate sugars entirely and that I parenthesize "No sugar" because it's essentially means " low sugar". The entire post was about limiting the EXCESS.

But I'm pretty sure you read:

" So i was once fat and then i stopped eating sugar all together and now I'm skinnier and lost a bunch of water weight so everyone try it and you will be skinnier too. OH AND DON'T FORGET. Sugar evil, so don't be eatin' dat junk up in herrrre."

SMH.
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options

And again, that article's conclusion was this...

"The results suggest sugar increases body weight mainly by encouraging overeating, according to Walter Willett, MD, PhD, MPH, chair of nutrition at Harvard School of Public Health. He co-wrote an editorial to accompany the study."

So it encourages overeating in some? Okay...I can agree with that. That still has nothing to do with the people who can eat it in moderation.

In that case. I will refer you back to the point of this post, which was about "SUGAR IS EXCESS". Never said eliminate entirely. But then again, this is how I know you didn't actually read what i wrote. Iron Playground knows all about the term excess in my argument. Maybe you two should just argue with each other on what this post is truly about since it seems I'm repeating myself either way we look at it.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I went on the "No Sugar" Diet on September 2, 2014 at about 202 pounds. I went on this regime and quickly came to the conclusion that no sugar meant " nothing white, no excess carbs, no soda, no cakes, no pop, no candy, and no almost all packaged food. In addition you are eliminating white rice, bread, potatoes and all other things of that nature in excess. However, this plan is not low carb. "No Sugar" or " low sugar" regimes actually remind me of something close to whole foods regimes. In my case, I was forced into cooking my own meals within the first week and coming up with original ideas of how to include certain things in my diets. Don't get me wrong, I definitely "cheated", but only in moderation and suprisingly enough, after the first day or two; I felt no need to cheat on this diet. I did not even crave sugar and previously sugary favorites became excessively sweet to me. In addition, the scarce "cheats" that I would succumb too, often caused a belly ache, causing me to cravy my next meal- which would often be full of fiber. I began to find my sugar sources from better sources such as apples, pears, grapes, peaches, plums, oranges and bananas. None of that was restricted to me because I considered myself capable of consuming naturally occuring sugars. This does not include honey, agave nectar, or artificial sweeteners.

First sentence you wrote bolded! Not my words.

The point I'm trying to make is that elimination of cake, ice cream, white bread, rice, etc. is not necessary if you are managing macronutrients properly while remaining in a moderate calorie deficit.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    Options
    There's sugar in meat now?

I guess I'd better tell my in laws not to go hunting for venison this year then.

And we'd better call off the broiled halibut for Christmas.

Man, my husband is going to be upset by the absence of Thanksgiving turkey.

::sigh::
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options
    I went on the "No Sugar" Diet on September 2, 2014 at about 202 pounds. I went on this regime and quickly came to the conclusion that no sugar meant " nothing white, no excess carbs, no soda, no cakes, no pop, no candy, and no almost all packaged food. In addition you are eliminating white rice, bread, potatoes and all other things of that nature in excess. However, this plan is not low carb. "No Sugar" or " low sugar" regimes actually remind me of something close to whole foods regimes. In my case, I was forced into cooking my own meals within the first week and coming up with original ideas of how to include certain things in my diets. Don't get me wrong, I definitely "cheated", but only in moderation and suprisingly enough, after the first day or two; I felt no need to cheat on this diet. I did not even crave sugar and previously sugary favorites became excessively sweet to me. In addition, the scarce "cheats" that I would succumb too, often caused a belly ache, causing me to cravy my next meal- which would often be full of fiber. I began to find my sugar sources from better sources such as apples, pears, grapes, peaches, plums, oranges and bananas. None of that was restricted to me because I considered myself capable of consuming naturally occuring sugars. This does not include honey, agave nectar, or artificial sweeteners.

First sentence you wrote bolded! Not my words.

The point I'm trying to make is that elimination of cake, ice cream, white bread, rice, etc. is not necessary if you are managing macronutrients properly while remaining in a moderate calorie deficit.

"No Sugar" or " low sugar" regimes actually remind me of something close to whole foods regimes. In my case, I was forced into cooking my own meals within the first week and coming up with original ideas of how to include certain things in my diets. Don't get me wrong, I definitely "cheated", but only in moderation and suprisingly enough, after the first day or two; I felt no need to cheat on this diet. I did not even crave sugar and previously sugary favorites became excessively sweet to me. In addition, the scarce "cheats" that I would succumb too, often caused a belly ache, causing me to cravy my next meal- which would often be full of fiber. I began to find my sugar sources from better sources such as apples, pears, grapes, peaches, plums, oranges and bananas. None of that was restricted to me because I considered myself capable of consuming naturally occuring sugars. This does not include honey, agave nectar, or artificial sweeteners.

2 LINES LATER. AGAIN- READ IT. YOU ARE MAKING THIS MUCH EASIER.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Except White bread has fewer calories and carbs than its whole-grain counterpart. This makes it a better choice for my weight loss.
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options
    There's sugar in meat now?

I guess I'd better tell my in laws not to go hunting for venison this year then.

And we'd better call off the broiled halibut for Christmas.

Man, my husband is going to be upset by the absence of Thanksgiving turkey.

::sigh::
    There isn't sugar in meat. Where did you get that? My diet primarily consists on meat. Maybe meet batters and meat sauces but there isn't any in animal protein in general.
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options

Except White bread has fewer calories and carbs than its whole-grain counterpart. This makes it a better choice for my weight loss.

That's great! Whatever works for you. I just find that whole grain helps w/ cravings.