OCD Quirks and Irks

Options
13»

Replies

• heatherpease
    heatherpease Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I cannot sleep with the closet doors open. It just has to be done!
  • kuhristeee
    kuhristeee Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I hate when product labels around my house aren't facing out. Liquid soap, dish soap, boxed or packaged food, DVD's, Book spines in the bookshelf, etc. I always have to fix them if they somehow end up facing backwards!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    - Clothes have to be folded and facing the same way in my cupboard.
    - Towels must be exactly aligned.
    - Toilet roll has to have the paper falling from the BACK. If the paper rolls from the front, I switch it round.
    - I check I have everything in my bag before I leave the house at LEAST 3 times. And sometimes I check again whilst walking to the train station.
    - Uni books are organised according to height and colour gradient.
    - The volume on my computer has to end in a 0 or 5 and in quarters. So 100, 125, 150, 175....

There are probably a lot more... didn't realise how insane I can be!

I am sorry madame, but you are wrong. The toliet paper MUST hang over! :tongue:
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I have to hold my breath under a tunnel... or even an underpass. This usually isn't a problem since there really aren't many tunnels in Tucson, but if we travel somewhere and have to go through a long tunnel... well, it's a good thing I can hold my breath for a long time, because there are some looong tunnels. I don't think I could go somewhere with bad traffic though, because being stuck under a tunnel for longer than I can hold my breath would make me freak out.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've had OCD for 10 years and it's so bothersome! I've definitely gotten over most of it though. My main thing is germs. I can't touch public door handles for one, and I don't think I'll ever grow out of that. If I'm having a really bad day, I have to repeat certain things out loud to myself over and over again until I feel it's right. When I read, if my eyes miss a word and mess up the sentence in my head, I have to go back and reread it 3 times. I count the stairs on any staircase I walk. Towels have to be evenly aligned when hung on towel racks and I also hate the way polyester cloths/towels feel.

I have so many more quirks, too many to list. :P
  • myladyelliott
    Options
    Thank you all - I feel so much more normal now!

Mine is paper - I love to buy new journals/notebooks and new pens, but I almost can't stand to write in them! I hate the thought of messing up that pristine book with ink smudges that might not end up perfect!!
  • kezereth
    Options
    I've had my OCD 'quirks' for well over ten years, but was only properly diagnosed with OCD by a health professional last year. they include:

- Not being able to touch chemicals/cleaning products without feeling like ive been contaminated or poisoned.
    - Locking my front door / back door / all the windows / checking the oven a gazillion times in order. I have to count to 3 every time ive checked it.
    - Constantly checking my handbag incase something has been stolen or has fallen out.
    - having to know where ALL of the CCTV cameras are in the area because otherwise i feel like i might have stolen something and they are watching me.
    - Eating my meals in order of how much i 'like' the food. The least liked food gets eaten first then i work round to the food i like the most.
    - Neatness and perfection in all of my written work. Tippex is not an option i would have to start the whole page again. This also applies to doing my best in everything i do.
    - Straight edges. I cant bare wonky things or things that dont align. If it's not symmetrical i'm not interested!
    - I can't go into any wooded or secluded areas by myself because i have this stupid irrational phobia that im going to find a dead body. I've never ever seen a dead body in my life.

Yeah ... i'm odd lol. There's probably more i dont even realise.

I'm currently having cognitive behavioural therapy and have been doing this for the last year. I think it's helping, well, i seem to be checking a bit less anyway, but the irrational fears are still there. I'm sure it will get easier with time.