Do You Even Beer?

Options

Replies

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    As a homebrewer I like to push the limits. With that said, I also am not a hop head, nothing too bitter for me. So, I get to adjust the hops to my liking in a recipe, that's what's so fun about homebrewing. I know the purists would shake their judgmental heads at me, and that's fine. I have been known to make a raspberry chocolate porter for Valentine's day, not too bad if I must say so.(Kind of a girly beer, yum.) But forget the pumpkin fall crap someone asked me to make, I dumped that batch. I do try to stick to the traditional recipe first time around, and then take liberty the second or third time. Some commercial beers that others think are "craft", (US) are vile, I can taste the fake flavoring. Sam Adams comes to mind, cherry crap. At least when I add something it's real, some folks can't tell the difference. To each their own, if I had my own label, it would be called "Ain't hoppining", but that's just me, again, I get that some would consider it the bastardization of a traditional recipe. Enjoy!:drinker:

Here's to home brewers. Wifey and I have been doing it for quite a while now (but we're still only doing 5-gallon, extract and specialty grain batches). Here's my tattoo, which may have been overzealous for someone who doesn't brew all-grain; however, I am bat**** about beer, so I think it works.

And I just realized I don't know how to post pictures. Another time, then.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options

All of that voodoo donut beer? Nah, that's okay. Not for me... but if it brings someone over from the An/INBEV/SABMiller train, more power to them. Maybe they'll pick up a bomber of Imperial Donut Break or something.. then realize how good some stouts can be without the cake and unicorn dust tossed in.

"cake & unicorn dust" LOL,
    I drank Canadian Craft Beers (at least before I found out I have to be Gluten Free), and the 'weirdest' I would get was the Belgian Style Witbeers with a hint of orange and cardamom. So now all I can get is Sorghum Beers - so I don't anymore. Sticking to dry hard ciders, and good wine, and some hard liquors like well aged Tequila for sipping not mixing, and real potato vodka.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of craft, beers, especially true-to-style beers. But I love porter and stouts, and since they lend themselves to coffee and chocolate notes anyway, I don't think the coffee/chocolate/vanilla stouts & porters are that far out there. I did have a green-chili beer when we were in Columbia at Flat Branch Brewery last weekend that was amazing.

But I'm really a cocktail girl, and not a true beer drinker. I like beer (except IPAs and many yard beers), but prefer craft cocktails (old fashions are my favorite right now) and wine, TBH, so while I've beered in many fine breweries around the country, and have friends that brew amazing beers, I suppose I truly don't beer.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Okay, now I actually read the post.
    Are gimmicky beer drinkers real beer drinkers? Or are they to be guilted by a-holes like me on Yelp?

One: I'd address a few things. You consider pumpkin beers a "gimick," when it's a pretty long-standing "spice" beer; it's not gimmicky, it's an established style. Same with oyster porters (and an old style and hard to find) and chocolate stouts (so standard; how is this gimmicky?!).

Two: you note that you're not a huge fan of Belgians, yet saisons (and to an extent, lambics and sours), are Belgian styles (I know you probably mean you're not a fan of the candi sugar/fruit profiles, but I think you'd be better off saying you don't like "Abbey styles" vs. grouping the whole genre of Belgian ales).

Three: Now that I've established that there's some confusion on beer classification, I'd answer that "gimmicky" beer drinkers are indeed real beer drinkers (particularly when gimmicky to you just happens to be a style you're not into). There are definitely beers that are just straight up gimmick (Rogue's beard beer comes to mind; Voodoo doughnut is another good example that you mentioned, all of which have tasted awful to me), but as someone who's had a large amount of craft beer and does have preferences (specifically Belgians, saisons, sours and bourbon barrel imperial stouts), I'd much rather try the new and different than the 30th version of an IPA that "tastes sort of like a Torpedo and a bit like a Hopslam"... as in, more and more breweries open, more and more "standard" styles get put out, and as a result, the genres get saturated. Now a habanero pineapple IPA? That would have my attention.
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    As a homebrewer I like to push the limits. With that said, I also am not a hop head, nothing too bitter for me. So, I get to adjust the hops to my liking in a recipe, that's what's so fun about homebrewing. I know the purists would shake their judgmental heads at me, and that's fine. I have been known to make a raspberry chocolate porter for Valentine's day, not too bad if I must say so.(Kind of a girly beer, yum.) But forget the pumpkin fall crap someone asked me to make, I dumped that batch. I do try to stick to the traditional recipe first time around, and then take liberty the second or third time. Some commercial beers that others think are "craft", (US) are vile, I can taste the fake flavoring. Sam Adams comes to mind, cherry crap. At least when I add something it's real, some folks can't tell the difference. To each their own, if I had my own label, it would be called "Ain't hoppining", but that's just me, again, I get that some would consider it the bastardization of a traditional recipe. Enjoy!:drinker:

I beer, but I don't hops. If there really were "Ain't Hoppining" beer I would be its biggest fan!!!!!
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I brew my own beer and it's the shiznittlebamsnappit!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. People are entitled to their crazy political opinions and stupid religious beliefs, but when it comes to beer and pizza there is right and there is wrong. When it comes to both of them, the ingredients lists need to be brief and unsurprising. Keep the cherries, vanilla, and chocolate for desserts.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I beer.

My least favourite category to judge in competitions is #21, the Spice/Herb/Vegetable beers. There is rarely anything there I'd chose to make or drink. I've never had a Pumpkin beer I like. Oh, and if you make a barrel aged beer, that doesn't mean it should be overpoweringly flavoured with whiskey. Keep it subtle, and let the wood come through too!

I like highly hopped IPAs, sours, saisons, English bitter, and lots else. But I'd take a Light Lager over a vegetable beer any day!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

All of that voodoo donut beer? Nah, that's okay. Not for me... but if it brings someone over from the An/INBEV/SABMiller train, more power to them. Maybe they'll pick up a bomber of Imperial Donut Break or something.. then realize how good some stouts can be without the cake and unicorn dust tossed in.

"cake & unicorn dust" LOL,
    I drank Canadian Craft Beers (at least before I found out I have to be Gluten Free), and the 'weirdest' I would get was the Belgian Style Witbeers with a hint of orange and cardamom. So now all I can get is Sorghum Beers - so I don't anymore. Sticking to dry hard ciders, and good wine, and some hard liquors like well aged Tequila for sipping not mixing, and real potato vodka.

Yeah, I found out I have Celiac Disease back in may and I have found that there are some very good GF beers.

A Capella by James Page Brewing
    Omission
    Burning Brothers

These are probably my favor GF beers, not sure if they can be had in Canada or not.
  • valkaree
    Options
    Beer is disgusting. I used to drink Jack right from the bottle. I don't drink anymore lol.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Are gimmicky beer drinkers real beer drinkers? Or are they to be guilted by a-holes like me on Yelp?

One: I'd address a few things. You consider pumpkin beers a "gimick," when it's a pretty long-standing "spice" beer; it's not gimmicky, it's an established style.

Two: you note that you're not a huge fan of Belgians, yet saisons (and to an extent, lambics and sours), are Belgian styles (I know you probably mean you're not a fan of the candi sugar/fruit profiles, but I think you'd be better off saying you don't like "Abbey styles" vs. grouping the whole genre of Belgian ales).

Three: Now that I've established that there's some confusion on beer classification, I'd answer that "gimmicky" beer drinkers are indeed real beer drinkers (particularly when gimmicky to you just happens to be a style you're not into). There are definitely beers that are just straight up gimmick (Rogue's beard beer comes to mind; Voodoo doughnut is another good example that you mentioned, all of which have tasted awful to me), but as someone who's had a large amount of craft beer and does have preferences (specifically Belgians, saisons, sours and bourbon barrel imperial stouts), I'd much rather try the new and different than the 30th version of an IPA that "tastes sort of like a Torpedo and a bit like a Hopslam"... as in, more and more breweries open, more and more "standard" styles get put out, and as a result, the genres get saturated. Now a habanero pineapple IPA? That would have my attention.

One: Whoa, whoa whoa. I'm not saying anything Belgian, saisons, sours, bourbon barrels, or any of that are gimmicky. Please, please, please. They are real, I was just saying they aren't always my favorite. My bad on the Belgian classification. I was talking more whits (I don't like the fruity notes, especially banana, and am not a big fan of bitter or sweet orange peel, candied anything, or coriander in my beer... just me... still didn't call it gimmicky).

B: I WAS talking about voodoo donut (many things by rogue, actually), pumpkin beers and chili pepper beers. To me, those are gimmicky. I had no idea pumpkin in beer was such a long-standing tradition (yes, I do know spice is... but not pumpkin specifically, which seemed, at least to me, to enter popularity around the time that pumpkin coffee drinks did). And my b on that one. But I think when you say "there are some beers that are just staright up gimmick," then you and I are talking about the same things.

IV: Look who put on their sassy pants this morning! And not literally the pants you're wearing in your profie pic, but the tone of your post. And I'm also kidding, because you did not come off as sassy.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

One: I'd address a few things. You consider pumpkin beers a "gimick," when it's a pretty long-standing "spice" beer; it's not gimmicky, it's an established style. Same with oyster porters (and an old style and hard to find) and chocolate stouts (so standard; how is this gimmicky?!).

Ooooh - now that does sound good... probably with Calypso hops...
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    What could possibly go wrong?

mamma-mia-pizza-beer-c806c8dc-sz630x582-animate.jpg
    1st half = Huh, not as bad as I expected. Kinda interesting even.
    2nd half = Great googa moogle this is the most awful swill I have ever tasted. My body is definitely going to reject this. The question is, will it be via vomit or explosive diarrhea?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Ooooh - now that does sound good... probably with Calypso hops...
    and azacca!
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I drink ALL teh beers! I'm in it for badges!
    87cb2da99a479e13d0ccb0a99493b848.jpg
    Ya'll know whut ah mean?
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I drink ALL teh beers! I'm in it for badges!
    87cb2da99a479e13d0ccb0a99493b848.jpg
    Ya'll know whut ah mean?

What is this from?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    I'm under the impression that until they take the word "beer" or "coffee" out of those drinks, they still count haha.
    I also like flavoured water. Does that mean I don't like water?
    Of course, I'd also have beer or coffee without all that other yummy stuff and still possibly enjoy it if it's good. Same with water.

So basically... I'm not picky enough to care and my comments here are useless.
  • togrli
    togrli Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I beer, but I don't hops. If there really were "Ain't Hoppining" beer I would be its biggest fan!!!!!

I agree. I homebrew about 3-4/year. I've played around with IPAs by removing half the hops. And then I found Scotch Ale. I love a good bourbon-barrell aged scotch ale. Low hops, high malt, aged for 3 months = perfection.

That said, until I reach my weight goal, I've given up beer.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading at "home skillets."

Okay, more accurately, I skipped ahead to read other posts that did not use the word home and skillets next to each other.

Yes, I beer. I don't fruit beer, except Shock Top, which is good when the temperature gets close to 100.

I IPA on a regular basis.

I bourbon barrel when I can find it in the store near here.

I taste test and grade accordingly.

I do not like Pils.

I do like certain Belgians, Duvel comes to mind.

I will find a way to change Odusgulp into a real beer drinker.
  • NunyaMfnBidness
    Options
    I am a complete and total beer snob. The amount of money that I drop on it is shameful.
    I even have a beer closet with racks and shelves filled with beer.

I prefer higher gravity, big tasting beers. Imperial IPAs, Imperial stouts, strong ales, Belgian Quads, etc.

I could use a beer or two right now.