What Foods Bring Back Memories Of Your Childhood

Options

Replies

• Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    baked beans...I hated them then and I hate them now, the smell alone gags me. My mom was one who believed you had to have a serving (how ever much she heaped on your plate) of everything that was on the table and you had to clean your plate. I hated the smell and taste of baked beans, so I would gag and choke on them, eating them one bean at a time and if I didn't finish the ones on my plate within the allotted time given by my mom, I had to eat them cold the next morning as my breakfast....ahh, childhood memories.

I had never heard of anyone else having to eat it cold for breakfast before. Thought I was the only one. Of course I was anemic as a child so they were trying to get me to eat back then. Years later I still have a hard time leaving anything behind.

As for food memories spaghetti I guess. Still love it. Miss my grandmother's cooking though. She passed in 91' and was Lebanese. She would make this dish of lamb, rice, tomatoes and stuff it in cored out squash. So good. Also her stuffing I've tried to make but never comes out right.

poultry seasoning
    celery boiled with juices of turkey
    sage
    day old bread toasted and cubed
    she'd mix it with her hands and bake it

You could eat it cold out of the fridge ( never mushy)
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Count Chocula
    Dr Pepper
    Cheesecake
    Shepherd's pie
    Mince meat pies
    Big macs
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Dip N' Lick
    Charleston Chew
    Artichokes
    Banana Bread
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Dunkaroos
    Black bottom cupcakes
    Candy cigarettes
    Lemonheads
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Black licorice and water.
  • SierraSwan
    Options
    fresh baked bread right from the oven, with butter. My mom used to bake bread every time we'd have a snow storm. We'd come in from shovelling and there'd be hot bread ... YUM.
    ^
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Peyote...
  • marquishagetaka
    Options
    Oatmeal - I still like it now, oatmeal anything
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Fried crappie.

and

Fried crappie.
  • desidieter
    Options
    Twinkies
    Mac n Cheese
    McDonald's Chicken Nuggets
    Banana Gulgula (Indian mini donuts)
    Sooji Ka Halwa (Indian style cream of wheat)
    Broccoli with melted American cheese
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Graham crackers and apple juice
    Marshmallows
    Mac n cheese
    Tootsie pops
    Twinkies
    Candy corn
    ...to name a few
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Ellios Pizza Squares
    Fried Spam Sandwiches
    Grandma's oatmeal or farina made with either whole or evaporated milk, sugar, cinnamon stick, and vanilla extract mmm.
    Strawberry frosted poptarts
    Tang
    King Vitamin Cereal
    Vienna Sausages
    Cheese wiz
    Gushers
    Peanut Chews
    Chick-o-sticks
    Homemade deep fried garlic dumplings with red bean stew on those days we didn't have money for anything else, yet somehow it was still the best meal ever.
    Cheese pastelillos
    Goya flan
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid my mom used to make three things that at the time I wasn't a fan of, but now that I am grown up (and she has passed away) I really wish I had the chance to have them. I don't know the recipes for them and don't know anyone to ask. They are

Bar-B-Cups ( that one I can get pretty close to - pilsbury buttermilk biscuit cups filled with ground beef mixed with bbq sauce, topped with cheese and baked - pilsbury has it on their website so I make them now sometimes)

Stuffed Flank Steak (I hated the meat part but loved the stuffing - some sort of bread and egg combo - I would put up with the flank steak to have it now)

Split pea soup with ham - there are a lot of recipes on the internet but I just haven't found one that is exactly the same. There was a restaurant that came close but they stopped serving split pea soup.
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy, and corn. A regular staple several times a week growing up on a farm.

Took me years after moving to town to eat fried chicken, drink milk (wasn't fresh from the cow anymore) and eat eggs. Ate too many eggs on the farm since we had an abundance. I love them again now.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Biscuits and Gravy

A dinner my mom called "Chicken Confetti". It was a cut up whole chicken pan fried, then cooked for hours in spaghetti sauce. Whole pieces and sauce served over spaghetti.

Poached eggs on toast.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    kraft dinner with cut up hot dogs and ketchup stirred in
    zoodles/alphagetti eaten with buttered bread
    melted cheese on triscuits
    dill pickle popcorn
    ketchup chips forever
    a marshmallow salad my grandma always made
    allllllllll Danish food because im half Danish
    pushpops
    flakies
    fruit punch juice boxes
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    My mom loves to bake and almost any cake/cookie/bread/pastry reminds me of that, but the one that always makes me feel like a little girl is a soft cookie she called "hermit cookies" that are made with cinnamon, raisins, and sour cream. I don't come across them often but sometimes they turn up at potlucks or whatever and I get super excited.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    1) Corn pops
    2) Cinnamon toast (put in the oven on broil, not toasted in a toaster)
    3) White rice with soy sauce (ate LOTS of this during rough times)
    4) White rice with cream of mushroom soup
    5) Sorbet push up pops remind me of the yummy Flintstone ones I used to eat in the summer
    6) "Behave Ralph"... that's just what we call it (and to this day still call it that!). We called it that because of the commercial from the 1980's for kielbasa with one character saying to another "behave Ralph!" so whenever my mom made kapusniak (kielbasa, potatoes, carrots and cabbage) we just refer to it as "BEHAVE RALPH!"
    7) Every time I see wheat thins I get the urge to make ghetto nachos like I did as a tween
    8) BULGOGI. We had Korean neighbors who brought me homemade bulgogi for my 10th birthday. First time I ever tried it and I was hooked thereafter. Before they moved they gave the recipe to my mom :)
    9) Mini pot pies that come in a box
    10) "Cheese stuff"... it's a cheese dip that my grandma and my dad make. They just mix a buncha crap in a bowl. Cream cheese, bleu cheese crumbles, feta, worcestershire sauce...my grandma mixes in olives when she makes hers but my dad omits them. Not sure what else they put in it but I definitely need to get the recipe. It's amazing on celery and carrot sticks. They still make it during holiday get togethers. I'd skip the turkey, gravy etc and just eat the cheese stuff !
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Tinned irish stew, I used to have it when I came home from school for lunch, tinned rice pudding with bramble jelly jam in it and a local dish called panacalty. Basically sliced potatoes, onion, corned beef, bacon and sausage cooked together with gravy and always mopped up with a ton of white bread! We only had white bread in the 70s, ha! :tongue:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Birds Eye fish fingers - my Dad worked for Birds Eye and money was tight when we were growing up so we ate a lot of Birds Eye foods from the staff shop.

The other one is a bit odd - "hedgehog".
    The story was recounted at my Mum's funeral about one of her signature dishes. There would be a big build up before someone new (often a grandchild) was indoctrinated into the delights of Mum's hedgehog. Plenty of viewing of the hedgehog cooking in the oven and tales of how the hedgehog was captured....
    It was only revealed at the last minute that the "hedgehog" was actually a mixture of savoury beef mince and mashed potato moulded into the shape of a hedgehog and the "spines" and facial features were made out of bacon.