What's your favorite breed of dog?

Options

Replies

• chubbynow
    Options
    We have a border collie mix we rescued. She is smart, sweet, gentle, lovable and loyal.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    We rescued both of our dogs. They are Catahoula Leopard Dog mixes. After owning this breed for 5 years I can honestly say its my favorite. I work on rescue transports and see/interact with lots of different dogs and there is nothing quite like a Catahoula.

Here's my boys. Luke and Indy

15039926679_32515feb92_n.jpg

15040020810_b8fdca2461_n.jpg
  • laumis1
    laumis1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Basset Hounds all the way. Grew up with one and he unfortunately left us when I was away in university at the age of 14. My parents have gotten a new one since and she's a special girl too. If I had my own house I'd already own one but for now I'll love my kitties.
  • cursumxperficio
    Options
    Terriers, terriers, terriers. Jack Russells, the short-legged variety, are on the top of that list. I like dogs with intelligence and personality and JR, well, all terriers really, think they're wolves. Gotta love it!
  • kuntry_navySD
    kuntry_navySD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    depends on what I'm hunting. redbone coonhound or golden lab
  • jouttie
    jouttie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The cat breed. Dogs are awful. Ok not ALL dogs, but most. If I HAD to tolerate a breed, it would be something not smelly, ugly, drooly, doesn't shed, doesn't eat/crap a ton, and doesn't bark all the time or have an annoying yappy voice. What breed would that be? :laugh:

A hamster.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Boxers. All the way. BOXERS/WIGGLEBUTTS!

10002886_10151978744738097_2078615796_n.jpg?oh=6c40fdfa6810cabcaa0a8a2992eef5cb&oe=54164D05&__gda__=1410749012_4a70054fcc8e7299d65c4b3e579cc125
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    10419614_10202859242895100_8418277954954321825_n.jpg?oh=87c6f4e38e55f7024f2c23f127df8738&oe=5496EF94&__gda__=1418639919_9151e7b27562462398e464774e4705a3

My favorite breed of dog is my derpy, hilarious, lovable, and wonderful German Shepherd/Husky mutt. :)
    He was a rescue from Alabama, and I am so thankful that the shelter expanded to my area and my family was able to adopt him.
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    Just make sure it is a Rescued Dog!

Our rescue site is www.grrsn.org for Golden Ret.

NO.... get a purebred from a show breeder, and by "breeder" I don't mean a puppy mill or pet store, someone who breeds a few select litters with an eye to quality and breed standard, and we did in our dog showing days.. We stupidly took in a rescue last week, she had been through a rescue organization and we knew she had some food and bed protection issues, but until we got her I didn't realize this dog would snarl at you if you leaned down to look at her or talk to her as she lay on her bed, that she could not be groomed or bathed , claws clipped or ears cleaned, unless she wore a muzzle ( and she woulfd fight you about putting it on, so her contact person said.) Two days ago, My husband was on the couch when she jumped up; he told her to get down and pointed to the floor, and she lunged at him in full out attack, not a fear bite, an actual attack. Well, it was obvious that this dog could not be trusted, and any attack on a human is a death sentence. Today she is buried in the back yard with a hollow-point bullet in her head and my husband has a nasty gash and 11 puncture wounds to his hand. I will never accept a rescue dog again unless it is a purebred Clumber spaniel. Off track Greyhounds are wonderful, but I cannot have one because of hay wagons, tractors, etc., going through gates, and a sighthound will dash out. But as for abused, abandoned, or possibly unsocialized rescue dogs, NO. You can never tell what mental issues they have or what will bring it to the fore.

I'm sorry but you're awfully wrong.
    i know a lot of rescue dogs that are all super friendly and obedient *they walk off leash!!*, and i've heard all kinds of things about their past. Abused, left on the side of the road, badly trained, but these people fixed them up. just because you had one bad experience with a rescue animal, doesn't mean all of them are bad. I'm sorry that had to happen to you though, because that must've been terrible. My two adopted jack russells had issues too (we eventually decided to find him a new home because we weren't the right family for them at that time) but that doesn't make all rescues bad.
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    We rescued both of our dogs. They are Catahoula Leopard Dog mixes. After owning this breed for 5 years I can honestly say its my favorite. I work on rescue transports and see/interact with lots of different dogs and there is nothing quite like a Catahoula.

Here's my boys. Luke and Indy

15039926679_32515feb92_n.jpg

15040020810_b8fdca2461_n.jpg

:o wow
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    My rescue German shepherd has made me fall in love with the breed :)

I have had 3 Sheps. They are sweet, smart, and protective.

When my current one dies of old age I will get another. Thats not to say I wont miss her, I miss the other two as well. Its just that I like the breed and dont want to be without one.
  • jillxmadelynne
    Options
    I used to not be a dog person. My husband is not a cat person. Well, prior to our relationship I had my cat Maxwell. I always told him that the cat was there first and if he didn't learn to get along with him I was going to have to break up. Needless to say he learned to love the cat. We recently thought it would only be fair if he got a dog, so we compromised and got a tiny dog. She is a bo-chi (boston terrier/ Chihuahua mix) and I love her, so I would have to say bo-chis. In the future I would be open to boston terriers and pugs, but I'm still terrified of big dogs.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I like Labradors, German Shepherds, and maltese or bichon. My dream dog is a Great Pyrnees, but I have a small townhome with no backyard, so that is out of the question :laugh:
  • cturnerb
    cturnerb Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Boston Terrier!
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Just make sure it is a Rescued Dog!

Our rescue site is www.grrsn.org for Golden Ret.

NO.... get a purebred from a show breeder, and by "breeder" I don't mean a puppy mill or pet store, someone who breeds a few select litters with an eye to quality and breed standard, and we did in our dog showing days.. We stupidly took in a rescue last week, she had been through a rescue organization and we knew she had some food and bed protection issues, but until we got her I didn't realize this dog would snarl at you if you leaned down to look at her or talk to her as she lay on her bed, that she could not be groomed or bathed , claws clipped or ears cleaned, unless she wore a muzzle ( and she woulfd fight you about putting it on, so her contact person said.) Two days ago, My husband was on the couch when she jumped up; he told her to get down and pointed to the floor, and she lunged at him in full out attack, not a fear bite, an actual attack. Well, it was obvious that this dog could not be trusted, and any attack on a human is a death sentence. Today she is buried in the back yard with a hollow-point bullet in her head and my husband has a nasty gash and 11 puncture wounds to his hand. I will never accept a rescue dog again unless it is a purebred Clumber spaniel. Off track Greyhounds are wonderful, but I cannot have one because of hay wagons, tractors, etc., going through gates, and a sighthound will dash out. But as for abused, abandoned, or possibly unsocialized rescue dogs, NO. You can never tell what mental issues they have or what will bring it to the fore.

I'm sorry you had this experience. What a sad set of circumstances. What you experienced is not normal.

Good rescue organizations thoroughly temperament test dogs for food/bed/human aggression and provide the dogs with the rehabilitation and training in experienced foster homes. They should NOT be turning a fear aggressive dog over to an unsuspecting adopter who has no training or preparation. Shame on them for not providing you or the dog the proper start to the relationship.

Did the rescue alert you that she might have food or bed aggression? Did they prepare you with resources and training help? Why did no one work with her to resolve the fear before muzzling her and tying her down for grooming and nail trim? (I am in no way blaming you, but this is the kind of thing the rescue should have done before giving you the dog to begin with). Does anyone know if she'd ever been indoors or groomed before in her life? A single week of time in your home is not enough time for you to know what her needs or problems were... The possibly new or previous abuse triggering experiences (normal daily stuff to you but not normal to her) clearly made her more upset/traumatized/fearful made her a ticking time bomb.

For every dog I see in rescue, 90% are just average family dogs that lost their home to no fault of their own (divorces, family moving, owners who got a puppy for Christmas but now have no time etc. Many are purebred.) The other 10% need lots of therapy and positive training with a experienced foster home before they can learn to trust humans again and have good behavior. This 10% also includes many purebred dogs that have been abused. Any dog of any bloodline or breed can be aggressive. Fear aggression is not a natural state for a dog, it is a learned behavior as a result of long term abuse by other humans and it must be addressed properly or someone will get hurt.

What happened to you is the exception not the rule with rescue. This is a case of a bad rescue organization not a bad dog.
  • tristan299
    tristan299 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Options
    Staffie Bull
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Never met a dog I couldn't love. But I love our Jack Russell Terriors and they are my favorite breed of all time.
  • Jeep_This
    Jeep_This Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    10419614_10202859242895100_8418277954954321825_n.jpg?oh=87c6f4e38e55f7024f2c23f127df8738&oe=5496EF94&__gda__=1418639919_9151e7b27562462398e464774e4705a3

My favorite breed of dog is my derpy, hilarious, lovable, and wonderful German Shepherd/Husky mutt. :)
    He was a rescue from Alabama, and I am so thankful that the shelter expanded to my area and my family was able to adopt him.

What a great "parent"!!! Most would not let this happen. He looks so happy!

I started with 110lb German Shepard (rescue), than and 89lb Black Lab (found on a back wood road in TN, and he was full of TICKS!!!! Scary part is, people drop off their dogs on the back out-of-the-way roads, very sad.. He was an absolute fabulous dog!), then rescued a 20lb Bichon Frise (from shelter). All these dogs interlapped. But now the Bichon is by himself, and all is well. I love my Bichon, and always said I would get another, but the rescue has treated me well!
  • Poedaughter7
    Poedaughter7 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have 2 Chihuahua dogs and I have to say they make great pets. They may pee all the time, yet they don't need long walks. When you do walk them, they do NOT knock you over.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Pitbull. I have 2 and I was an ignoramus about the breed before I fell in love with my first one. Both my pibbles are sweet loving girls who have no idea that people could perceive them as anything other than that.