Going swimming for the first time in YEARS

2»

Replies

• dhaemon
    dhaemon Posts: 110 Member

Good for you! That first step is a doozy but all of the rest are so much easier.

ps: I guess you didn't meet up with any cranky whalers after all :bigsmile:

Not one whaler with a harpoon was seen.....this time... :)
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Success!!
    Just got back from swimming and WOW. I feel like I ran a marathon.
    Did 25 mins treading water and 15 minutes of freestyle swimming non stop and my heart was beating out of my chest.

Met some people while swimming and now I'm confident to go back again tomorrow!

I thank each and every one of you and especially my wife. :)

You made my day! Thanks for the update.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Awesome! Made my day.
  • kurotoshiro
    kurotoshiro Posts: 7 Member
    EDIT: I've just seen your post, congratulations on getting in the pool and doing your thing! I kept my original post just in case you ever want some motivation :) keep it up!

Ah, I recently got back into swimming as I love water and could swim forever. Only problem is I'm a little overweight and the first day I decided to go, I was so nervous and was trying to figure out all of these ways to get in and out of the pool without anyone seeing my belly rolls and thick thighs. I even wear a rash vest because I have some stretch marks on my arms and I'm so paranoid of people seeing them even though they're pretty light. I got to the swimming pool and just dumped my towel on the side and got straight in. That was the hardest part over and it only lasted 5 seconds max.

The great thing about being in water is that nobody can see your body, so it doesn't matter and you can get a great workout knowing that you aren't being watched! Even when I was swimming, I saw people with all shapes and sizes, even a girl who was quite a bit larger than me and she got out at the other end of the pool and walked all the way past everyone to exit, unlike me who just speed walked to the closest corner. Sorry this is so long but my point is, just go for it! I sill feel uncomfortable in my swimming gear, but I love to swim and hopefully one day I'll be able to go into the pool without feeling uncomfortable.

I hope you enjoy yourself, don't worry too much, people really aren't concerned about what you look like.