Quest Bar Flavor Reviews - Share Yours!

Options
13»

Replies

• mrsbunbunbun
    mrsbunbunbun Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to see this thread, because I am one of the girls who is like, "Why the heck are these things so popular?"

The first one I had was half a cookie dough. The texture was not at all what I was expecting and was pretty turned off. I'm about to go work out, why do I want to actually mow down on a sticky, plasticky, gritty, slightly salty hunk of dried out "dough"? Pooh.

But everyone raves and my trainer said they are good so I'm like, okay... How about Lemon and Coconut Cashew?
    How about, "Yuck, why do people like these things???," and "Meh."

I can see why heating them Might help, but that really didn't occur to me since they are already so sticky and strange. To me, the overall texture is just this weird, fake, plastic goop in a bar. I MIGHT TRY the chocolate, cookies n cream, and/or the cookie dough - now that I know what to expect. But... still not too sure I'm a Quest girl. :/ I'd only give them one last shot because they're "supposed" to be GREAT.

[I do love ThinkThin bars, especially the chocolate, and the white chocolate - but even some of their new ones seem a bit rich or overly sweet for me. I also love PureProtein, especially the chocolate deluxe (with coffee) and the peanut butter, especially paired with a green apple. Not as wild about the s'mores or other caramel-type flavours that just taste too sweet to me.]

We'll see how my third and final attempt at the Quest bars goes, but if not, I will have to agree that they are so not worth the money, and I don't really understand the craze when there are so many other low-carb bars that are absolutely no comparison, hands-down better texture. :p
  • pangepange
    pangepange Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I never thought about heating them. I'll have to give that a try!

I love strawberry cheesecake and raspberry white chocolate. Yum!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    We'll see how my third and final attempt at the Quest bars goes, but if not, I will have to agree that they are so not worth the money, and I don't really understand the craze when there are so many other low-carb bars that are absolutely no comparison, hands-down better texture. :p

Some people buy jeans that are $100 dollars, running shoes for double that amount, because to them it's worth the price. "Worth" is completely subjective and you can't say something isn't worth the price because that only relates to you. As for me, I'm a huge Quest supporter. No other bar has 21g protein and tastes so good (to me; taste is subjective too) for the price, which really isn't so much when you consider that these things can be meal replacements with how much nutrition they provide. Might not be worth it to you, but it is to so many others.
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have recently discovered Quest bars and have made them my go-to lunch at work. Microwaving them is a MUST!!! The texture changes and they are so good.:love: I have to eat them slowly and drink a bottle of water or they feel like a lead hitting my stomach. But boy do they stay with me for hours before I need something else to eat. :drinker:

I sampled a bunch of flavors from the Vitamin Shoppe and found the ones I love. I then ordered four boxes from the Quest website with a free delivery promo I got off the Web. The cost breaks down to $2.08 a bar which is totally worth it to me. :bigsmile:

So far my experiences have been:

Cinnamon Roll has a weird after taste that I didn't like at all. :sick:

Apple Pie and Strawberry Cheesecake are so so. :ohwell:

Double Chocolate Chunk, Cookies and Cream, Chocolate Brownie, Vanilla Cashew, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Peanut Butter Supreme, and Coconut Cashew are soooooo dang tasty!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • alandry2121
    alandry2121 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've tried the majority of the flavors. They are all good to me, the best protein bars hand down. The cookies n cream flavor is to DIE for. I kid you not, I'd rather eat one than a candy bar. Holy cow are they delish. It's worth the $ to me to look forward to the healthy foods I'm eating that day.
  • ChinaCass
    ChinaCass Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars are my absolute favourite! Haven't tried all the different kinds yet, but most of the ones I have are pretty damn good save for a few. I've only eaten them straight from the package before, but I can't wait to try microwaving them, seems like everyone agrees they're 100X better that way!

- Double Chocolate Chunk = easily 10/10! its super chocolately, and the chunks inside are the icing on the cake. Seriously recommend!
    - Cookie Dough = 8/10. Loved this one too, although I was expecting it to be better given the hype it receives
    - Chocolate Brownie = 10/10. Another fantastically delicious one! Tastes more like dessert than a protein bar
    - Cinnamon Roll = 7/10. Liked this one, could have had a stronger flavour but I would still recommend
    - Peanut Butter Supreme = 8/10. I love peanut butter with all my heart, and while this bar was good it was almost TOO peanut butter-y? Still pretty tasty though
    - White Chocolate Raspberry = 11/10! Seriously, if you haven't tried this one yet, BUY ONE NOW! My favourite by far, the chunks of chocolate in it are amazing and it has so much flavour! Delicious :)
    - Cookies N' Creme = 7/10. Good, but not my favourite. I didn't find it as chocolatey as some of the other ones (and I love my chocolate :P)
    - Banana Nut Muffin = 3/10. Was rather disappointed with this one, I love bananas but this bar had virtually no flavour to it :(
    - Chocolate Peanut Butter = 5/10. Another disappointment. Chocolate and peanut butter is my favourite combo, but you couldn't taste it as much as I liked. Rather boring flavour.
    - Lemon Cream Pie = 1/10. Bleghh. Would not recommend.
  • mrsbunbunbun
    mrsbunbunbun Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Some people buy jeans that are $100 dollars, running shoes for double that amount, because to them it's worth the price. "Worth" is completely subjective and you can't say something isn't worth the price because that only relates to you. As for me, I'm a huge Quest supporter. No other bar has 21g protein and tastes so good (to me; taste is subjective too) for the price, which really isn't so much when you consider that these things can be meal replacements with how much nutrition they provide. Might not be worth it to you, but it is to so many others.

Ya, you're right. Pure Protein and ThinkThin only have 20g. And you are also right, that taste is definitely subjective. If you like them, good for you! Personally, I'm thrilled that the bars I like have the same nutrition for like a dollar, dollar-fifty a piece. I'd rather not pay more for something I think is gross, but that's just me. You keep doing you, gf! :D

PS I'm pretty sure I can say whatever I want, and that's sort of the point that it's my personal opinion. ;) I wasn't aware we needed to preface everything we say in an open public forum that this is just my two cents and you don't have to agree with me or attack me for not thinking exactly the same way as you. I thought that was the point of message boards, to get different people's perspectives on things. But I'm new here.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Ya, you're right. Pure Protein and ThinkThin only have 20g. And you are also right, that taste is definitely subjective. If you like them, good for you! Personally, I'm thrilled that the bars I like have the same nutrition for like a dollar, dollar-fifty a piece. I'd rather not pay more for something I think is gross, but that's just me. You keep doing you, gf! :D

PS I'm pretty sure I can say whatever I want, and that's sort of the point that it's my personal opinion. ;) I wasn't aware we needed to preface everything we say in an open public forum that this is just my two cents and you don't have to agree with me or attack me for not thinking exactly the same way as you. I thought that was the point of message boards, to get different people's perspectives on things. But I'm new here.

I'm sorry, but the last paragraph of your OP was pretty confrontational, saying that something isn't worth their cost because you don't like it.
  • bloodofareptile
    bloodofareptile Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The place I order them from in the UK will let you pick any 12 you want for a set price, so I've tried all of the ones that I thought sounded good. I eat all of them straight from the package - I tried warming up the cookie dough one after reading about it on here and it rendered it nearly unpalatable for me - it tasted a lot more chemically than I find them cold.

Apple Pie - 7/10 - nice, but not one I order regularly as my "top three"
    Chocolate Brownie - 0/10 - I found all of the chocolate based ones to be inedible. So many people here rave about them, but I couldn't eat more than a bite. I am a "supertaster", so they all come across as incredibly bitter.
    Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough - 10/10 - tastes like cookies
    Chocolate Peanut Butter - 0/10 - another victim of the chocolate base bars being bitter
    Cinnamon Roll - 6/10 - cinnamony, but not the kick of flavor I expected. Edible, but I don't order them.
    Cookies and Creme - 10/10 - another favorite. I LOVE Oreos with my whole heart, so this one makes me very happy.
    Double Chocolate Chunk - 0/10 - more bitterness
    Lemon Cream Pie - 5/10 - overwhelmingly sweet, could not finish without a glass of milk or water, very lemony
    Mixed Berry Bliss - 3/10 - inoffensive, but doesn't taste like much, very cardboardy
    Peanut Butter Supreme - 0/10 - gag
    Strawberry Cheesecake - 6/10 - disappointing lack of cheesecake flavor, edible but not worth large quantities
    White Chocolate Raspberry - 10/10 - love

You can only get a max 8 bars of each flavor where I get them from, so I tend to order 8 CCCD, WCR, and CNC for 24 bars (2x the 12 mix packs). I eat nearly one a day - the boost of protein is great and they make a nice, sweet afternoon snack.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Ya, you're right. Pure Protein and ThinkThin only have 20g. And you are also right, that taste is definitely subjective. If you like them, good for you! Personally, I'm thrilled that the bars I like have the same nutrition for like a dollar, dollar-fifty a piece.

There is one big nutrition difference between the ones mentioned and Quest bars . . . FIBER.I have not seen any other bar that comes close to matching the total nutrition in Quest bars when factoring in the fiber also. That is why I am willing to spend $1.85 each instead of about $1.40 each. The extra 40 cents of fiber is worth it.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to see this thread, because I am one of the girls who is like, "Why the heck are these things so popular?"

The first one I had was half a cookie dough. The texture was not at all what I was expecting and was pretty turned off. I'm about to go work out, why do I want to actually mow down on a sticky, plasticky, gritty, slightly salty hunk of dried out "dough"? Pooh.

But everyone raves and my trainer said they are good so I'm like, okay... How about Lemon and Coconut Cashew?
    How about, "Yuck, why do people like these things???," and "Meh."

I can see why heating them Might help, but that really didn't occur to me since they are already so sticky and strange. To me, the overall texture is just this weird, fake, plastic goop in a bar. I MIGHT TRY the chocolate, cookies n cream, and/or the cookie dough - now that I know what to expect. But... still not too sure I'm a Quest girl. :/ I'd only give them one last shot because they're "supposed" to be GREAT.

[I do love ThinkThin bars, especially the chocolate, and the white chocolate - but even some of their new ones seem a bit rich or overly sweet for me. I also love PureProtein, especially the chocolate deluxe (with coffee) and the peanut butter, especially paired with a green apple. Not as wild about the s'mores or other caramel-type flavours that just taste too sweet to me.]

I think the big advantage quest bars have is the sugar alcohol problem in most LC protein bars. Both the ones you like have maltitol in them, which is a sugar alcohol that tears up my (and many other people's) stomachs. The quest bars either don't shave any, or in my favorite one, only 1g of erythritol which doesn't hurt me at all :). The high fiber and lower calories over all (160 vs. 230) are also helpful to me, lower cal, high fiber, high protein and no tummy trouble!? Yeah baby!! All a wonderful addition to my life!!!
    BUT, if you don't like them and the other bars work for you - enjoy them!! No problem at all!

For ME, the double choc chunk all warm and gooey is such a treat and good for me! Total bonus!:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Chip Cookie dough is my favorite. I have been eating Quest bars for over a year. Saved me from many a Snickers bar.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried any yet. I've never had a low carb, high protein bar that I enjoyed. Honestly, I'd rather just eat a chicken breast or some jerky, and if I want dessert, I'll have a small portion of the real thing.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I think the apple pie - nuked for a few seconds - is barely edible. Other than that, I find them disgusting. I am soooo glad I bought like 10 flavors at GNC and tried them before I ordered some boxes on Amazon.

I know a lot love them, but they are not for me.
  • cassie858
    cassie858 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Banana nut muffin - 9/10 YUM!!!!
    Cookies & cream - 8/10
    Strawberry cheesecake - 7/10

I love these and ant wait to try more flavours!!!!

However you guys are aware that they don't include the carb and apcalorie content from the sugar alcohols? The package states 160-170 calls when in actual fact it's more like 220 cal. I still love them though!!!!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    The cookie dough ones are my favorite! 10/10!

I also really enjoy the double chocolate 8/10 ,and the chocolate peanut butter cup 9/10

All the others were 5 or below, not my favorite.
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    These flavours are AWESOME:

- Cookies and cream
    - Chocolate chip cookie dough
    - Brownie
    - Double chocolate chunk
    - Peanut butter supreme

These flavours are OK, but definitely not my go-to:

- Cinnamon bun
    - Peanut butter and chocolate

I basically detest any of the fruit flavours, and after trying a few (strawberry cheesecake, peanut butter and jelly, a lemon flavour...) I decided I'd never buy any Quest bar with any sort of fruit flavour again.

FYI I eat Quest bars up to 5 times/week. I have a crazy sweet tooth so I love them!
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Tagging to come back to this later
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Bought a box of Cookies n Cream today. It was pretty good. It tasted way better than the dense nutrient bricks from Costco, the Premier Protein bars (which are 30g protein for 290 cals so they still have their place). However not as good (to me) as the Premier Protein Crisp bars, but those are 190 cal for only 15g protein. So the Quest bars are a better bang for your calorific buck. I also like the sweet spot of 200 (or less) calories as I don't always want 300 cal from a bar (and irrationally, I have to eat the whole bar, why? I don't know).

Based on the cookies n cream and other feedback I think I'll pick up Double Chocolate Chunk, Coconut Cashew and Cookie Dough.

Great thread!
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    I discovered Quest bars about two months ago, I was hungry at the outlet mall and nothing in the food court appealed to me. I figured I could get something to hold me until dinner at the GNC store, and the sales associate suggested these. They've become my pre-tennis breakfast (I am usually just a coffee drinker, but when I know I am going to be playing for 2+ hours, I need something more than just coffee).

Flavors I have tried (from best to worst...IMHO)
    1. Cookies & Cream: Probably my favorite...I do like the little cookie bits
    2. Chocolate Brownie: Felt like eating a giant Tootsie Roll (which in my book is a good thing)
    3. Apple Pie: The sales guy at GNC recommended this one, and it was better than I expected
    4. Chocolate Peanut Butter: I'm not a huge peanut butter fan, but these were pretty good
    5. Cookie Dough: Good but not great...a little dry
    6. Cinnamon Roll: Okay...maybe a little bland
    7. Lemon Cream Pie: The most artificial tasting of the bunch

I think I would like to try the Banana Nut and Vanilla Almond flavors next. I will probably avoid the fruit flavors based on the reviews. And I don't like coconut...so that's out as well.