Interesting new study on "food addiction"

Options

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    There is a term called "pairing." I think food addiction is actually the result of pairing. We associate certain emotions (or all emotions) with some type of food and as the behavior gets more and more consolidated, it gets harder to kick.

But it can be changed.

totally agree with this^^^ I think many overweight people (especially obese) pair food with an emotion or some aspect of their lives that are not fulfilled in healthy ways. This is why so many times you see the "emotional outbursts" of the people on shows like Biggest Loser. They have an unhealthy relationship with food either from some tragic event that the food has helped to fill or some emotion they grew up lacking which again the food has filled for them.

Like the poster that stated thier nephew associated food with attention from his mother- the same happened to my brother- he would get attention from our entire family- mom, dad, grandparents over how much he could eat- which led to him being a severely obese pre-teen and into his teen years and now he is a grown man suffering from years of bulemia - yes males are bulemic too.

I have experienced the same- I did not develop bulemia but am obese because I associate food with love, family, and entertainment- mostly because it is what I experienced growing up. The only time my family would spend time together was when we would eat or actually go out to eat- so I learned to associate food with good emotions. Which then developed into filling other good emotions I was lacking in my life- love, freindship, etc. I am learning to change this and am successful so far- but I had to acknowledge this first and find out why I had this relationship with food. I dont agree with the self control statement- as I dont think you can control yourself unless you are taught to do so (especially if you learned a behavior- see studies on children of alchoholics, abusers, and smokers and thier likelyhood of following thier parents footsteps with these addictions)- control is not an instinct everyone has but is rather a learned behavior- which is why so many suffer from addiction. The brain wants these chemicals especially when there is an imbalance and will get the balance in any way that it can which is why we experience cravings- even for food.

Just my opinion and based on my personal experience

I agree with pairing being a real and true connection to substances. And like you I love food, family and entertainment. I especially love the feeling dopamine gives me when I pleasure my brain. I have had to work through my own pairings so I know all about them.
    So my question to you is, once a person has done what ever they have to do to come to terms with their pairing. Now what do I do to keep the fork out of my mouth ?

That was part of what I maybe didnt make clear- learning to deal with your "pairings" is learning self control or why you lack it in the first place so that you can control yourself around whatever your addiction is

Agreed. But I didn't want to assume in case I was not understanding you correctly.

You made a great point about learning self control. It is very much a learned skill.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

I agree with pairing being a real and true connection to substances. And like you I love food, family and entertainment. I especially love the feeling dopamine gives me when I pleasure my brain. I have had to work through my own pairings so I know all about them.
    So my question to you is, once a person has done what ever they have to do to come to terms with their pairing. Now what do I do to keep the fork out of my mouth ?

I think possibly...some...instead of controlling the fork to mouth...learn to get that feeling of pleasure from other activities. Kind of like a replacement therapy.

I think that I replaced what food gave me with being more physically fit. Now that I have reached a level of fitness that I am happy with I have struggled with food issues again. I realize that I have more work to do. I have spent the past week trying to figure out...what is my next step.

I read something this week...a 65 year old woman...all on her own...backpacking across South America. I think that is what I am missing right now...that one thing that I am working toward...that one thing that keeps me going. I just have to find what that one thing is.

I know...probably took this in a different direction but...

Being thin...being able to walk a half marathon...isn't enough...I need a purpose. That purpose probably more than self control...I hope will keep the fork out of my mouth.

Maybe none of this made sense...I am known to be that way at times!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Made sense to me, and I agree a purpose is a huge part of it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

I think possibly...some...instead of controlling the fork to mouth...learn to get that feeling of pleasure from other activities. Kind of like a replacement therapy.

I think that I replaced what food gave me with being more physically fit. Now that I have reached a level of fitness that I am happy with I have struggled with food issues again. I realize that I have more work to do. I have spent the past week trying to figure out...what is my next step.

I read something this week...a 65 year old woman...all on her own...backpacking across South America. I think that is what I am missing right now...that one thing that I am working toward...that one thing that keeps me going. I just have to find what that one thing is.

I know...probably took this in a different direction but...

Being thin...being able to walk a half marathon...isn't enough...I need a purpose. That purpose probably more than self control...I hope will keep the fork out of my mouth.

Your post reminded me of Curly in "City Slickers." One Thing.

You'll find it. :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Addictions are rooted in the habitual seeking of the sensations experienced when neurotransmitters are made to flood the brain because of the ingestion of a substance; heroin causes this, cocaine causes this, food causes this. Eating is an addiction for many people who crave the dopamine release that follows the ingestion of sugar, fat and salt. This is not up for discussion, it is easy to understand science. The thread is now over, nothing else to talk about really. You're welcome.

Thank you. Well put.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    1526549_444292639004454_70859444_n.jpg?oh=0e254357b5c69c16006ce57aff15927f&oe=54874E06&__gda__=1419688170_6409bfb6fb7c138cef087c06ea6ee5b8

addictions are quite similar imo
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    1526549_444292639004454_70859444_n.jpg?oh=0e254357b5c69c16006ce57aff15927f&oe=54874E06&__gda__=1419688170_6409bfb6fb7c138cef087c06ea6ee5b8

addictions are quite similar imo

addiction is now classified as mental addictions. Some people see black and white. Don't put it in your mouth, you wont be fat, drunk, high........whatever. That is great for them. You do you, I'll d me.

Do you know there is a neurological reaction of a 'high' when an abused person interacts with an abuser? The fight or flight mechanism is triggered, thus adrenaline and dopamine flood the brain/body. When that person LEAVES the abusive situation it is this craving for release of these chemicals (along with programmed thinking) that makes them go back or allow the abuse to continue.

I am not an addictive personality myself, as a general rule, but when it came to food the high I felt from satiating the need to be 'full' became an addiction. I don't care what anyone SAYS if a human thinks about food all day long, covers their emotions with said food, fills the void of emptiness to the point of a feeling of wellbeing..................it is an addiction.

(didn't read the entire thread only the first 3 pages, so if this was said ooops)
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    As somebody who was a binge eater until recently (and saw therapists, therapy support groups, support groups, 12 Step groups, books, etc. from 18-36 years of age, one day I just decided to stop and did. My binges were 5000-7000 calories at a time. I last binged about 3 months ago, I don't have the exact date (and I like that). I still feel like binging sometimes, but I don't. So I personally think food is not addictive. It tastes good, sure, and it's instant gratification, but it took me 18 years (and I was binging before then, that's just when I started seeking help for it) to realize I could just say no.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Options
    As somebody who was a binge eater until recently (and saw therapists, therapy support groups, support groups, 12 Step groups, books, etc. from 18-36 years of age, one day I just decided to stop and did. My binges were 5000-7000 calories at a time. I last binged about 3 months ago, I don't have the exact date (and I like that). I still feel like binging sometimes, but I don't. So I personally think food is not addictive. It tastes good, sure, and it's instant gratification, but it took me 18 years (and I was binging before then, that's just when I started seeking help for it) to realize I could just say no.

This reminds me of 'Brain Over Binge'.

While this may not work for everybody/their binge eating, i'm really glad that you were able to find something that worked for you, and especially after seeking help for so long. :)
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options

addiction is now classified as mental addictions. Some people see black and white. Don't put it in your mouth, you wont be fat, drunk, high........whatever. That is great for them. You do you, I'll d me.

Do you know there is a neurological reaction of a 'high' when an abused person interacts with an abuser? The fight or flight mechanism is triggered, thus adrenaline and dopamine flood the brain/body. When that person LEAVES the abusive situation it is this craving for release of these chemicals (along with programmed thinking) that makes them go back or allow the abuse to continue.

I am not an addictive personality myself, as a general rule, but when it came to food the high I felt from satiating the need to be 'full' became an addiction. I don't care what anyone SAYS if a human thinks about food all day long, covers their emotions with said food, fills the void of emptiness to the point of a feeling of wellbeing..................it is an addiction.

(didn't read the entire thread only the first 3 pages, so if this was said ooops)

I could be wrong... but I think we are on the same side of this debate.
  • arewethereyet
    Options

I could be wrong... but I think we are on the same side of this debate.

Yes we are, I wanted your picture to be above my post because it is spot on!
  • arewethereyet
    Options

The mantra of 12 step groups is "One Day At A Time" Sometimes it is one minute. The fact you have not 'picked up' is awesome, but doesn't prove it is not addicting.

My mom didn't pick up in over 15 years, but she died an addict. :ohwell:
  • GatorDeb1
    Options
    Thanks biggirlittle :)

As someone who is OCDish, black and white, has dealt with depression my whole entire life, was obese until 2009, and was a binge eater, I think we use the term addiction too loosely. At the end of the day you either do or you don't. It IS that easy. And actually that's why I don't binge anymore. It IS that easy (and that hard, as binging is totally awesome in the moment). One person may say some people are pre-dispositioned to be addicted to food but it may just be they just get more of a kick out of food than other people (and that's probably why I really really do loooooooove running). Addictive personality or more aroused by everything? Doesn't matter what you call it or how you describe it. It's a choice. That's why I never liked 12 Steps groups, I didn't want to be powerLESS over food, I wanted to be powerFUL. For me once I realized it was NOT out of my hands, well, then I stopped. I really have no excuse now if I ever binge again other than because I chose to.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Options
    Thanks biggirlittle :)

As someone who is OCDish, black and white, has dealt with depression my whole entire life, was obese until 2009, and was a binge eater, I think we use the term addiction too loosely. At the end of the day you either do or you don't. It IS that easy. And actually that's why I don't binge anymore. It IS that easy (and that hard, as binging is totally awesome in the moment). One person may say some people are pre-dispositioned to be addicted to food but it may just be they just get more of a kick out of food than other people (and that's probably why I really really do loooooooove running). Addictive personality or more aroused by everything? Doesn't matter what you call it or how you describe it. It's a choice. That's why I never liked 12 Steps groups, I didn't want to be powerLESS over food, I wanted to be powerFUL. For me once I realized it was NOT out of my hands, well, then I stopped. I really have no excuse now if I ever binge again other than because I chose to.

OCDish? Do you mean displaying traits of OCD? OCD isn't an adjective in the sense that you used it, so excuse my confusion.

You're very welcome. We all take individual paths to recovery/health/wellness. So whatever gets you there i support you in, and wish you the best with.

I disagree with you very much so, but only because i choose to make my opinions based upon the empirical evidence i can get my hands on and science has continually proven that eating disorders are anything but a choice. If you'd care to learn more about/converse about such i can provide you with articles. Otherwise, i don't see the point in saying much more, because it's quite evident we have different opinions. Unless that is, you would care to provide me with a few resources for your claims? I'd love to read any literature you have on binging being a matter of self control, if you have any that is.

Admittedly i typed out a response that was about 6 paragraphs long, but i have so much homework to do and with my job, i don't have the time to be coming back onto forums which keeps distracting me! So i deleted it and cut it back down to this. ;P

I hope this finds you well!
  • GatorDeb1
    Options
    Not OCD in the sense of compulsive hand-washing but if I have a 3-mile run, it won't be a 2.99 mile run. I would say OCD tendencies rather than unavoidable compulsions.

"I disagree with you very much so, but only because i choose to make my opinions based upon the empirical evidence i can get my hands on and science has continually proven that eating disorders are anything but a choice."

That's not clear, are you saying you believe food addictions are uncontrollable physically urges/a physical addiction or that they ARE a choice (albeit a hard choice, just because something is really really hard to resist doesn't mean it's unavoidable).
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Options
    Not OCD in the sense of compulsive hand-washing but if I have a 3-mile run, it won't be a 2.99 mile run. I would say OCD tendencies rather than unavoidable compulsions.

OCD = having unavoidable compulsions. If you don't have compulsions, you're not describing OCD. It's that simple. Brain disorders are not adjectives - they are serious, debilitating illness. That is, unless you're also perfectly okay saying your run was "so MS" "So brain cancerous" "So Parkinson-like", etc.

The DSM-5 criteria for OCD: http://beyondocd.org/information-for-individuals/clinical-definition-of-ocd
    That's not clear, are you saying you believe food addictions are uncontrollable physically urges/a physical addiction or that they ARE a choice (albeit a hard choice, just because something is really really hard to resist doesn't mean it's unavoidable).

I thought it was clear when i said that i disagreed with you but i'm sorry for the confusion (admittedly i took a sleep aid before writing that response, so i was woozy when i typed that out) - i don't believe eating disorders are choices, since i choose to make my decisions based upon scientific evidence. I go with what studies i am able to find that are valid and reliable (contain randomized/representative samples, have sufficient control in their control groups, relevant literature in their reports, the appropriate statistical tests are utilized, etc.), and make my decisions based off of that. I choose to believe in science - things like gravity, evolution, etc. It doesn't matter if you call them eating disorders or addictions - neurologically, they are essentially the same.

If you want to read more on such, here is a bit on the expression of the D2 receptor, and it's relationship with both binge eating and alcoholism: http://www.bnl.gov/biosciences/staff/Thanos/files/pdf/JAddDisease1.pdf
  • GatorDeb1
    Options
    So explain going through a drive-through feeling like I wasn't in control of my action, 5000-7000 calorie binges, during an 18 year period, and one day just deciding to stop, and stopping. I can definitely you I felt more crappy than good during those 18 years and spent a lot of money trying to find a solution and at the end it was just a matter of stopping!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    So explain going through a drive-through feeling like I wasn't in control of my action, 5000-7000 calorie binges, during an 18 year period, and one day just deciding to stop, and stopping. I can definitely you I felt more crappy than good during those 18 years and spent a lot of money trying to find a solution and at the end it was just a matter of stopping!

Well, to be fair, my husband did the same with cigarettes. Just decided to stop one day and did. But that doesn't really mean they aren't addictive. He says he still has intense cravings for them years after having his last one.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Options

First, answer me this question - were you diagnosed by a health/mental health professional as suffering from binge eating episodes?

Secondly, what does this explanation have to do with anything? You stopping on your own doesn't 'magically prove' that there is no genetic component to eating disorders/that it's not a psychopathology.
  • TheWorstHorse
    Options
    [comment deleted] having read through five pages of this thread after i post, not getting involved in the discussion seems the better idea.